It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Refridgeration when SHTF

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

The great thing about the absorption system used in A kerosene fridge is any flame or heat source will do. There is no moving parts to worry about.
I'm thinking of custom building one ...

A 12 volt system would be costly electricity wise unless you incorporate high R value insulation.

The Stirling method involves A motor.
Needs something to drive it or A heat source.
Although A Stirling motor is really versatile.
The different configurations make it so.

From my understandings I would use it more for generating electricity or mechanical energy.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

This is essentially the same as using a well, or a well house, to keep things cools.
Here in north east Arkansas, we suffer from the same problem as those in Oklahoma. The water table prevents root cellars, unless you build it above ground, then cover it with plenty of dirt. Extra insulation wouldn't hurt either.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Here is a refrigerator which operates without electricity:

Source: DIY Solar refrigerator

The refrigerator operates on the same basic principle as evaporative “swamp coolers” that help keep houses cool in hot, dry climates. The design consists of two cylinders, one inside the other, with a gap between the inner cylinder and outer cylinder. The inner cylinder is made of solid metal. The space between the inner and outer cylinders is filled with a layer of material that can be soaked with water, such as sand, wool, or dirt. The outer cylinder is made of a solid material such as wood or plastic, with holes drilled in the sides to let the sun’s energy reach the wet layer.

Source: DIY Solar refrigerator

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

Awesome! Thanks for bringing that up. I remembered reading about it AFTER you had posted this article.

That makes me think of a new thread Survival: What information we have forgotten

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Doc,
may I use your alternator and fan gizmo, in my pamphlet? I'm putting together a complete, 'What I need to live underground' kind of thing. It's got everything from using algae to scrub the CO2 from the air, to hydroponics and herbal medicines.
Thanks,
Jim.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Kadipa]

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Kadipa]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Help yourself Kadipa

I can't find the exact one, "article" a young women did it in either high school or college and this is as close to it as i can get.
www.scientificamerican.com...

Not sure if I would trust it with much more than basics, "I'm not gonna put a half of beef in it" but I would like to see how affective one could be, and freezing, thats another story....

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Well, apparently I can't send U2U replies until I've posted 20 forum replies, so I'm assuming you didn't get my reply several days ago then.
[email protected]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join