It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portable pain weapon may end up in police hands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
My god if the police get hold of this look out

Read the full article

THE Pentagon's efforts to develop a beam weapon that can deter an adversary by causing a burning sensation on their skin has taken a step forward with the development of a small, potentially hand-held, version. The weapon, which is claimed to cause no permanent harm, could also end up being used by police to control civilians.

The Pentagon already has a large crowd control weapon called the Active Denial System that can heat whole groups of people, causing them to flee. It uses a flat-plate antenna mounted on a truck or aircraft to aim a 2-metre-wide microwave beam at the crowd.

www.newscientist.com...

The ADS works by directing electromagnetic radiation, specifically, high-frequency microwave radiation at a frequency of 95 GHz[6] (a wavelength of 3.2 mm), toward the subjects. The waves excite water molecules in the epidermis to around 130 °F (55 °C), causing an intensely painful sensation of extreme heat. While not burning the skin under ordinary use[7][8], the burning sensation is similar to that of an incandescent light bulb being pressed against the skin.[6] The focused beam can be directed at targets at a range in excess of 700 meters.[9] The device can penetrate thick clothing, although not walls.[10]

en.wikipedia.org...

wow look out protesters .!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
If any police force takes delivery of this they should expect public outcries, however should they USE this against demonstrators then ALL HELL would break loose.

If the protesters are peacefull and the police go in heavy handed like they did in Philly with the sound cannon then I'd expect the protesters to actually start fighting back using petrol bombs and such.

And to be perfectly honest I would support them, I wouldn't normally condone violence to get your point across but if any police force uses this then all I can say is ' You reap what you sow'....

If you can't defuse the situation using common snese , undertsanding, compassion and discourse but instead have to resort to violence and/or threats of violence then basically you get your a$$ handed back to you, after all there are more of us than there are of them.
And I'm also sure that any protesters that this weapon has been used against would class it as assault and sue them for pain and suffering, after all if they're there in a peaceful capacity and the police use this then that makes it police brutality in my book.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
This isn't much different than the sound weapons.

The public has been conditioned to accept those now... what's next? Those?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Honestly, if the police use something like this to break up a crowd, the members have every right to take the city to court for violating their right to peaceful assembly. If they retaliate violently and get people killed, then they're guilty of murder.

My main concern is this thing causing stampedes. People get killed when huge crowds suddenly decide they want to be somewhere else, and this thing certainly doesn't look like it has the subtlety to target just one or two persons.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
They already have them, and if they target you you will be driven up the wall, and they will love it till the day you die.

You do not need to do anything, there will be people on this board that know the police already use these things.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Well I was actually surprised not to see the ADS being used in Pittsburgh, at the G20 (the LRAD in comparison is very ineffective). But believe me, its just a question of time till this technology finds its way into rioting control systems and police equipment, after all it was designed for exactly that purpose.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
very frighting that you can not explain your actions face to face and sort things out your way or the law way.

Sad things are getting to the point that if you protest against something that you believe in maybe because you feel that your freedom is being compromised and next minute you are being physically harmed for having a opinion.

sad state of affairs when freedom becomes this way.

Thanks

Ocker

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
They already have them, and if they target you you will be driven up the wall, and they will love it till the day you die.

You do not need to do anything, there will be people on this board that know the police already use these things.

Thanks Andy for the comforting thoughts.

Ocker

new topics

top topics

join