It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloves and Flavored Tobacco BANNED

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

RICHMOND, Va. — The new federal ban on flavored cigarettes took effect on Tuesday, marking one of the first visible signs of the Food and Drug Administration's new authority to regulate tobacco.
The ban on manufacturing, importing, marketing and distribution includes candy-, fruit- and clove-flavored cigarettes, which health and federal authorities say are more appealing to youth. It does not include a ban on menthol or other flavored tobacco products like cigars – issues that the FDA is studying.

The move came after word that the nation's top distributor of clove cigarettes – California-based Kretek International Inc. – began offering small filtered spice-flavored cigars that are close to the size of a cigarette but are wrapped in tobacco rather than paper.

Source

Prohibition of cloves and flavored tobacco. Awesome. Too bad, I really enjoy Cloves Blacks actually.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
They've probably destroyed another company and put more people out of work at a time when we need the jobs over a perfectly legal, adult, substance.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sundancer
They've probably destroyed another company and put more people out of work at a time when we need the jobs over a perfectly legal, adult, substance.

Indeed just another example of big government dipping its hand in to the day to day of its citizens. Because they know what is good for us and they will force us kicking and screaming to their brave new world like it or not.

Like type o negive once said the dream is over

p.s. star for you Sun and star and flag for you op

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I still want to know why this Ban applies to Cloves but not to Menthol?

....Does that minor detail bother anyone else?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
I still want to know why this Ban applies to Cloves but not to Menthol?

....Does that minor detail bother anyone else?

Doesn’t Obama smoke or used to smoke menthols? Perhaps I am wrong however I could have sworn he did.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The corner shop up the street from my university is still selling Cloves. I guess it's until they run out. Then that's that.

Sigh, if there are any left (doubtful) I may buy a pack tomorrow. Smoke one once a month, lol.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Yea, this is crap. I'm so damn sick of the FDA being up people's arses. Maybe I'm wrong on this one, but shouldn't permanent bans be up for vote from the people? Better yet, when are people going to realize kids don't smoke because a camel in sunglasses tells them to. They smoke because it relieves stress and anxiety.

Also, why in the hell should I suffer through not smoking the cigarette I like because of somebody else's kids?

My God I'm seriously starting to hate this country.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

I have to say, as a smoker, that anything that will keep young people away from tobacco is welcome.

It is just another expense and another thing that destroys health.
Although I wonder why they have not included menthol, which is easy to smoke.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
So is why they renamed captain black's sweets to captain black's GOLD..?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
djarum is now owned by rj reynolds...same people who own marlboro i believe...djarum and sampoerna were bought out years ago by rj...sampoerna was discontinued to elimante a secondary brand and some of their kreteks were brought on to the djarum line

this is all horse s*** if you ask me...no matter how much they try to get rid of cigarettes...it wont happen...the government NEEDS the cigarette companies to leech money from...but for a moment...let me ask you non-smokers this...the ones who are against people smoking and the ones who make snide little comments when they walk past smokers (like what happend to me on sunday night...guy is lucky i didnt punch him in the mouth for being such a jerk)

IF cigarettes are banned and smoking is removed from the public and is no longer allowed period (basically made illegal)...what makes you think people wont start doing EXACTLY the same thing with alcohol??? that precious chemical that youre so used to feeding your liver...count on that being fought against as well

im a smoker...ive quit before...and i plan on quitting again...i will always be an addict (addiction is not something youre EVER cured of)...but i dont drink...ive had TWO beers in the past 4 years...for those of you who are offended by cigarette smoke...think about this...when i go into a bar or somewhere that serves alcohol...i can INSTANTLY smell the liquor...when someones been drinking, the scent of alcohol on their breathe is IMMEDIATE to me...so the next time youre standing around with your beer, complaining about smokers near you...just think about that drink in your hand and the fact that us non drinkers CAN SMELL YOU JUST LIKE YOU SMELL US

/end rant lol

[edit on 1-10-2009 by dorkidori_s13]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ashnomadonte

I think i saw/heard that somewhere too.
Fear the withdrawal.
This guy could get really agressive when he is jonesing for his menthols, but cant buy any, cause his cronies passed the law

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Well this sucks! I really enjoy my acid flavored cigars
The coconut rum is yummy
This is so stupid! Why do those of us who are legally able to buy these products have to suffer because a kid might want them?! Arent the PARENTS supposed to be making sure their kids arent smoking OR drinking?! I am so tired of things being taken away because some group(kids) might buy it or some group is getting to fat because they are unable to control themselves or teach their kids what is right and wrong for them...People need to learn to have self control and the damn govt needs to stop butting in on everything!
Oops I was ranting...sorry. What is next my bubble gum vodka?! Oh no the kids might like it lets get rid of it

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Well this sucks! I really enjoy my acid flavored cigars
The coconut rum is yummy
This is so stupid! Why do those of us who are legally able to buy these products have to suffer because a kid might want them?! Arent the PARENTS supposed to be making sure their kids arent smoking OR drinking?! I am so tired of things being taken away because some group(kids) might buy it or some group is getting to fat because they are unable to control themselves or teach their kids what is right and wrong for them...People need to learn to have self control and the damn govt needs to stop butting in on everything!
Oops I was ranting...sorry. What is next my bubble gum vodka?! Oh no the kids might like it lets get rid of it

Cigars are not banned. At the store I work at, we can sell Prime Times (small cigars), we haven't had to ransack our Humidor to take anything out, including Acids, Miami Suites, etc. The only thing we had to remove were the Sweet Dreams (and those weren't selling well anyway. $6.91 for a pack). New Mexico hasn't been able to sell cloves, sooo we're not missing much here. lol. It hasn't really hurt our business (yet), however the Liggett guy came in and said the beginning of 2010, they're raising the price of cigarettes at least $2.00. Maybe $4.00 or more. All because of FDA sticking their fingers into the pie. I think they called it a Users Fee. That's sickening.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Epic reaction?

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 1-10-2009 by Jauqx]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Really? Flavors entice kids to smoke? I'm no expert but I doubt any kid has ever seen a fruity flavored cigarette and thought "mmm... candy."

For starters the flavors are disgusting and in no way take the already disgusting tobacco taste away. What's more, kids start smoking because of perceived 'coolness' or to fit some 'scene' they wish to participate in.

Funny that mint apparently isnt a flavor. At least not a flavor these mythical 'kids' like.

Government will bring the bans in just far enough to still retain mass support. Like with guns. Too many idiots are all too willing to ban those 'evil' and 'scary' ones and government is happy to oblige. But they cant ban them all and retain majority support.

Menthol was that line of majority support.

Given enough time the majority will gravitate to accepting a menthol ban. All it takes is one generation living under the partial ban that never knew what it was missing to take the ban to the next step.

For the record, I dont smoke. Cant stand to be around people who do. They reek and spoil entire neighborhoods with their filthy stink and butt tossing. But I hate bans even more.

Not much worse than seeing some pretty young girl light a cigarette. It's like dumping manure on a Bentley.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Chiiru

Oh good! I was going to call my ex who owns a Tinder Box where I use to live and ask him all about this. He has said it has become hard lately business wise with all the taxes and raised prices. Its sad because this has been his family business for over 30 years! Our govt is putting them out of business and it makes me angry. They are wonderful people who have had a great business for many many years and now because of greed and taxes they dont know what will happen in the future.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The reason why Flavored Cigarettes such as Cloves/Kreteks were banned in the United States by the FDA has little to do with health reasons, but everything to do with Corporate Protectionism.

Flavored Cigarettes and the Tobacco that makes them come from sources such as Brazil, Turkey, Indonesia, and Russia. By having the FDA ban them instead of the Department of Commerce, this prevents hundreds of BILLIONS of metric tons of foreign Cigarettes and Tobacco imported into the United States from foreign shores, and allows American Tobacco Producers to make up for that slack, effectively doubling their Revenue...all without any of those countries affected having any recourse to the World Trade Organization as they would if they had been banned any other way. This skirts the entire issue of Unfair Trade Practices and Trade Embargoes, allowing the United States to protect it's Tobacco Companies which currently represents the #1 Source of Revenue for the Fed.

Have no mistake about it, the banning of Flavored Cigarettes and Cloves/Kreteks was the Tobacco Companies Financial Bail-Out.

That said, the Indonesians that make Cloves/Kreteks haven't taken this lying down. You can still get Djarum Blacks legally in the United States now. They are sold as "Cigars" instead of "Cigarettes". As they are sold as "Cigars" their price is much cheaper as this circumvents many of the State and Federal Taxation Laws against Cigarettes. So, in a strange kind of way, this actually turned out beneficial for Clove smokers. The hard part is finding a Smoke Shop that will carry them for you.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I had a feeling my days were numbered...

In all seriousness though, I did smoke Djarum specials for a few years (quit in '05) and I have to say I have absolutely no idea why they would be considered more appealing to kids than any other product. I thought it was a matter of personal taste, that's all. I liked them. Some people hated them.

The government's hands do not belong in this business. Adding flavor does not mean you're trying to attract children. Shockingly enough, adults enjoy flavor, too.

I agree there should be limits, I understood why the government said cute cartoon characters should not be advertising cigarettes. I get that. I don't agree that the government should decide it, but I get it. However, banning a procuct for being flavored because children also like flavors...

Last time I checked children aren't the ones who vote. One day (hopefully soon) the adults who vote these idiots into office are going to collectively wake up and ask "how many more aspects of my life and how many more of my choices am I going to allow the government to control for me until I finally say something?"

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
As for those cigars not being banned, ok, I have seen who purchases those things.

A friend of mine owns a store, and let me just say, the people who purchase those, also purchase rolling papers at times.

A lot of the time, those flavored cigars are hollowed out and refilled.

This seems hypocritical to me.

One thing is left on shelves, and is used for, illegal purposes a lot of the time, while the legal stuff is banned.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
revisiting this horrible news,

cause i just finished my last clove,. ive been holding onto it for a year now, and i still miss these danm cloves,
they are so good,

i thought it would be stale and not taste good after so long, but to my surprise it was still very good, and it reminded me very well of the feeling of this injustice, to have cloves taken away from me.

in the meantime of holding onto that last clove i have gone out and bought/smoked the cigar versions that they sell now. it realy is nowhere near as good, it just sucks. all ten different versions of djarums. throughout the months i had thought maybe it wasnt that much different, as memory slowly forgot the difference between the two,

but after months of only these horrible cigar versions, and now having one of the old ones i am very clearly reminded that difference is vast,

remember that story about the 157 year old women that they found who said she smoked cloves her whole life...why are they banned now again??

www.abovetopsecret.com...

so the government made it illegal to sell cloves in a cigarette, ensureing that the cloves could only be sold in cigars, this means that every cloves smoker who doesnt quit will have to buy cigars now instead, since september of last year.

cigars are atleast twice the size per cig, and you only get 12 per pack instead of 20. and they are twice the price!

so we are paying more money, to smoke more quantitys, for less taste, all because the government says its law, whatever their stupid reason.

I who i had hoped was one of we the people, am still against this and still feel the yearning, 11 months later

[edit on 11-8-2010 by pryingopen3rdeye]

new topics

top topics

join