It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Government SHUT DOWN!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
A temporary shutdown has happened in Michigan.

www.google.com...

LANSING, Mich. — Michigan's state government stumbled toward a partial shutdown Thursday as one of the nation's most economically battered states remained without a budget.

State lawmakers failed Wednesday to agree on deep spending cuts proposed to balance the budget by a midnight deadline.

They also failed to finalize a temporary budget that could have averted Michigan's second shutdown since 2007.

Secretary of State offices could close and state parks could begin asking visitors to leave if the impasse isn't resolved before state workers are to report for work Thursday.

Essential services such as state police and prisons will continue running.

Lawmakers could not agree to steep cuts in tax payments to local governments and shallower cuts to K-12 education.

Some state workers will not need to report to work this morning.

Unless a budget is passed the partial shutdown will continue.

[edit on 9/30/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Edit to add: My post is now irrelevant since it was based on a 2-year old article.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by theyreadmymind]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Why all of the exclamation points. Do you realize that the "Federal Government" shut down like 7 years or so ago? It's not really that big a deal.....

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by theyreadmymind

Michigan is between a rock and a hard place. The problem with having such a high unemployment rate is that it means there is less revenue coming in. State services have to be cut, some parts of Michigan such as Flint and Detroit are planing on reducing the city size in order to save money.

It seems cyclical, less revenue coming in, then more layoffs, then less revenue...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

this could go on for months or more?

if there is no working government, who's in charge and getting things done?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
That's a pretty good chunk of money, especially when the public doesn't have it to take. Thing is, the state workers, which is probably a good percentage of the people that are lucky enough to still have jobs, can't complain about the tax increase because it's the only thing keeping them employed.
That's blackmail!!

This country is very sick.

S&F

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Zenagain

Why all of the exclamation points. Do you realize that the "Federal Government" shut down like 7 years or so ago? It's not really that big a deal.....

I used one exclamation point. Sorry to offend.

Yes I do remember the Republican caused federal shutdown in 1995, (14 years ago)

It is a big deal because it's a state government failing to meet it's own requirements to stay in business.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The article is dated 1 October 2007, and states in there that the fiscal budget has not been set for 2008 as yet. Are these dates both typos? or is the article relevant to today which is 1 October 2009?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

My bad, the all caps + the exclamation point got me. Just abandon the major cities? I dunno. I think Michigan's days as being the automotive producing capitol are numbered if not over already. Time for the Government of your State to look towards other revenue streams.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwitina948

You're right. It's still happening though. I would post a link but I fail to find anything about a tax increase. It looks like the shutdown will happen any minute now though.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'll shut the lights off...

Being as I'm to poor to move and stuck here now...

Just honk when ya go by and I'll hit the "Kill Bill Switch"... :shk:

[edit on 9/30/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwitina948

Good catch! I thought that I had the right article. I fixed the link so that it will go to a relevant article.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Yea I am in the same boat. I can't leave at this point. (and the only other place I would go is just about as bad.)

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I have a question .

Now please forgive my ignorance but if the Michigan government is shut down how are the police and prison guards getting paid ?

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Apparently the police and prisons and other essential services are paid for under different budgets (or something to that effect) But non essential services are going to be closed until this budget gets passed.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Too bad.

Now if we could just get Washington to shut down . . . .

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I would not be surprised if it is all planned out, that eventually all states will become bankrupt.

As each one goes belly up, the Federal Govt will step in and take control.... With military, or contractors, or whoever they need to force "peace" upon the citizens.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Finally, states shut down and sheeple shut up!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by dooper

The Republicans tried that back in 1995 remember?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
As the merchants of the earth rob us, we'll see more and more shutdowns. They've gathered their money to buy their mountain & underground retreats. I recall a History / Discovery Ch. (can't remember exactly which one it was at the moment) where one guy stated that if there was any truth about the underground bases to hopefully survive the End Times, look for governments at the local and state levels to run billions in the red, for companies to have their employees take more and more unpaid sick days (furlough), and about 5 bailouts altogether, as well as the introduction of Obama's Police Force (the only way they can put "military" on the streets without calling into effect Martial Law and waking people up).

Yeah, I'd say those things have and are happening.

The game right now is to see how long they can go and NOT wake as many people up as they can. The quicker people wake up the harder it will be for TPTB.

So, "hush you big babies don't way a word, as we end the flight of the Eagle bird."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join