It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Second Major Earthquake Strikes Indonesia

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Jupiter is not behind the moon what so ever. It will also not be behind the moon on the 26th. Not sure where that info came from but it is wrong.

On the 29th Jupiter and the moon were close together, Jupiter was below the moon. It was not behind it and the 26th will not even be close for such a thing.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

I find it strange that a prophecy would give hints through events that happen many many times. To me its like playing a safe card....pick a few things that will always being occurring here on Earth and you cant go wrong.

Even the moon turning red...would not be something new.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

The number of seismic stations has increased from about 350 in 1931 to many thousands today. As a result, many more earthquakes are reported than in the past.

Don't you think Jesus would know that population growth and expansion combined with technology that would become available to humans in the 20th and 21st century would contribute to this becoming true?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

History repeats itself. The Earth goes through changes. These are cycles. The land will change. I think that the prophecies use things that the people feared, such as the Earth shaking, the moon turning red during an eclispe, unknown reasons for people dying suddenly, and the idea that there was not going to be enough food for the people.

I am unsure that these would be Jesus's words....I am more for the idea that these things were added to help tie the New beliefs with the Old.

See I dont believe in a sudden ending. I dont see all of these signs coming true then Jesus returning and judging people. So the prophecies dont do much for me.

Think how many Earthquakes had to happen when Pangaea started to split up into separate lands. I mean wow. Just looking at a mountain range can show someone sudden brutal changes this sphere experiences. Who is to say that many more of these huge changes to the Earth will come again? I dont dare try to say they wont. I would lean more towards the idea that they would occur again and the Earth is in for many more makeovers.

Just thoughts always
LV

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Also, with population growth, technology, ect....it wouldnt only be Jesus foreseeing such things, its not hard to foresee such a thing is it?

This takes me back to OT prophecies about wars and Israel.

How hard is it to prophecies that the world will be a war with each other when the OT says that a piece of land is more special then the others, that there is a special people. Its not hard to see a future of blood and hate is it?

I know this is off topic somewhat....but the whole prophecy talk came up so sorry if Im drifting here.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
At least 1,100 dead so far from indonesia earthquakes, a sad day indeed.

Line 2..

www.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stargate2012
COMING VERY SOON!!!! WITHIN THE NEXT 14 DAYS!

The Revelation
of St. John the Divine

12 ¶ And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; Rev. 11.13 ; 16.18 and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
13 and the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, Is. 13.10 · Ezek. 32.7 · Joel 2.31 · Mt. 24.29 · Mk. 13.24, 25 · Lk. 21.25 even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; Is. 34.4 and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. Rev. 16.20
15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; Is. 2.10
16 and said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us Hos. 10.8 · Lk. 23.30 from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
17 for the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand? Joel 2.11 · Mal. 3.2

Would it not be odd if those revelations never came true because religion is a fabricated entity that divides people with absurd differences.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SquishyFishy
What is with all the doom and gloom over a couple of Earthquakes in the ring of fire? This happens from time to time. Last time I looked this most current would just be considered an aftershock.

There are too many losers on the world right now, so you can't avoid to not hear all the collective whining and as it will probably grow it might become deafening as they will want to drag everyone in to their own reality because they probably cant stand the thought it's their own fault and not everyone elses or the world around them. According to them it's the religions fault, or Gods fault, or the atheists fault, or the non believers fault, or the fault of everyone else around them that don't things the way they like to see it. It's always everything and everyone else except them.

So, what if there really come a time of change somehow, something big happens. Is it possible for men to carry on and restore everything like nothing happened?
According to the chicken little's, NO. The world is going to end..
According to the people that done this (survived), and will keep doing this(surviving), Yeah, No problem, it's life as usual.

So I pay a big tribute for the level headed people that survived else we wouldn't be here today talking about it.

Sorry for the off topic post. Peace.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

The Revelation
of St. John the Divine

12 ¶ And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; Rev. 11.13 ; 16.18 and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
13 and the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, Is. 13.10 · Ezek. 32.7 · Joel 2.31 · Mt. 24.29 · Mk. 13.24, 25 · Lk. 21.25 even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; Is. 34.4 and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. Rev. 16.20
15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; Is. 2.10
16 and said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us Hos. 10.8 · Lk. 23.30 from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
17 for the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand? Joel 2.11 · Mal. 3.2

NO.... your wrong. All Prophecy was fulfilled. You followed the teachings of man. Thats a BIG mistake many have made. You were suppose to follow Jesus and only him but because you chose to follow the teachings of man over Jesus you were blinded from the truth. As it is written.

REMEMBER Jesus NEVER spoke to you. He spoke to a previous generation and taught them what they needed to know, Don't put the BIBLE in a future context. WHO TAUGHT YOU THAT? A pastor or another one from some organized religion? A T.V. preacher?? they are all lost themselves.

A knew heaven and earth was made in a spiritial sense its not something visual for you to see. No man or women could enter heaven until salvation was given, This is a world without end,
remember that?

All of the scriptures can come to a complete understanding.

How about, many are called but few are chosen? Many people have heard of the Lord Jesus Christ and have been called so to speak but will they get to heaven? Not if they believe in other peoples teachings which you chose to do. You can undo your blindness. Figure it out how to do it.

Follow Jesus or God (hint= his sheep hears his voice)

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Katie

The Revelation
of St. John the Divine

NO.... your wrong. All Prophecy was fulfilled. You followed the teachings of man. Thats a BIG mistake many have made. You were suppose to follow Jesus and only him but because you chose to follow the teachings of man over Jesus you were blinded from the truth. As it is written.

REMEMBER Jesus NEVER spoke to you. He spoke to a previous generation and taught them what they needed to know, Don't put the BIBLE in a future context. WHO TAUGHT YOU THAT? A pastor or another one from some organized religion? A T.V. preacher?? they are all lost themselves.

A knew heaven and earth was made in a spiritial sense its not something visual for you to see. No man or women could enter heaven until salvation was given, This is a world without end,
remember that?

How about, many are called but few are chosen? Many people have heard of the Lord Jesus Christ and have been called so to speak but will they get to heaven? Not if they believe in other peoples teachings which you chose to do. You can undo your blindness. Figure it out how to do it.

Well that is your point of view and belief Katie. Whether you are correct, who knows. But I lean mostly towards future prophecy. Not what happened around 70 A.D. like you think you understand. You can believe in what you want though.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Katie

The Revelation
of St. John the Divine

remember that?

Well that is your point of view and belief Katie. Whether you are correct, who knows. But I lean mostly towards future prophecy. Not what happened around 70 A.D. like you think you understand. You can believe in what you want though.

The great Judgement took place. It had to, they were all the ones that died before salvation was given. Jesus said, He came not to destroy this world but to save those that are lost. You people have thrown that one away to.

www.sacred-texts.com...

The last 2 paragraphs pretain to us since salvation was given.

I know you can't see the truth but have you figured out yet why Jesus spoke to all of those people and NOT YOU?? By the way what are those dead people going to do for you they are judged and gone.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by nikiano

The list is useless.

That's your personal opinion, not a scientific fact.

However, if you want to include personal opinions, just listen to how many people on this forum are intuitively aware that the amount of earthquakes that have been occurring in the last decade FEELS much, much higher than usual.

I'm 40, and when I was younger, I know for a fact there just weren't nearly as many earthquakes happening around the world. Large, destructive earthquakes were a rare thing. These days, they are (sadly) becoming pretty common. It seems, the last 7-9 years or so, we have had many, many more earthquakes than normal.

So, I'm not sure how old you are, but just from memory, I would say that the chart on urbansurvival.com feels right.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

I'm older than you (by more than a bit). I agree that we hear about more earthquakes now than we did before but that is a function of communication and awareness, not the frequency of earthquakes.

The raw data shows that there has been no increase in the frequency of earthquakes. The list is not composed of raw data. It is a selective sample. Without knowing the criteria used for the selections it is statistically useless.

There may be an increase in the amount of injury and death caused by earthquakes (I don't know) but that would be related to the location and population density, not the frequency. Some places have more and stronger earthquakes than others. Some places have more people than others. We are more likely to hear about a strong earthquake that causes death and damage than we are about one in the middle of Siberia. Feelings are fine but in cases like this the numbers don't lie while feelings might.

[edit on 10/1/2009 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Another 6.3 just hit in Tonga!

Doesn't seem to be quieting down at all over there...

EDIT TO ADD: Tonga is near the SAMOA ISLANDS REGION. Close to where the 8.0 hit a couple days ago. NOT near Indonesia.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by Paroxysm]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Ever since the first 8.0 earthquake, thier has been many aftershocks, one after another stacked around Tonga. I was hoping that it will settle down, but with this past, 6.8, I dont know. Does the quakes decrease? Should the quakes decrease after a major hit or these aftershocks normal?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Makes you think if earthquakes in one place can trigger them elsewhere - like ripples from a pebble thrown in on one side of a pond causing a model boat at the other side to rock. Most scientists say no, but some are looking at the possibility.

From New Scientist -

" Asian quake could trigger California's big one

* Updated 16:52 01 October 2009

IT'S a kind of geological butterfly effect. Fenglin Niu of Rice University in Houston, Texas, and colleagues believe they have found two clear cases where remote events weakened the San Andreas fault near Parkfield, California. The finding suggests powerful earthquakes - like the one that has just hit Sumatra - may trigger further quakes worldwide.

The first changes to the San Andreas occurred in 1992 after a 7.3-magnitude earthquake several hundred kilometres to the south. The second took place in 2004 after a quake of magnitude 9.1, also in Sumatra, 8000 kilometres away. In both cases, there were distinct changes in the movement of fluids and an increase in the frequency of micro-earthquakes deep within the fault below Parkfield (Nature, DOI: 10.1038/nature08395).

Niu and colleagues believe these changes are linked to a weakening of the fault, and that monitoring them could lead to more accurate earthquake forecasts. They suggest that very large quakes might push faults all round the world closer to the point of failure, and so lead to a temporary increase in global seismicity.
Rumble relation?

So does Niu's finding suggest the two quakes that struck the Pacific on 30 September were linked?

The magnitude-8.0 rumble that sent a tsunami towards the Samoan islands on Wednesday was followed within a matter of hours by the magnitude-7.6 quake on the island of Sumatra in Indonesia. However, other scientists have been quick to rule out a link between the two, pointing out they occurred on separate fault systems.

Niu says this may have been too hasty. "It's possible that the Samoan earthquake did trigger Indonesia's earthquake," says Niu, not least because the epicentres are geographically close.

However, he concedes that the Samoan tremor may not have been big enough to produce the same kind of fault weakening his team observed."

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Another one! - this time near Tonga/Samoa.

Powerful 6.3 quake strikes off Tonga
October 2, 2009 - 12:29PM

A powerful 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck off Tonga and the Samoan islands on Friday, two days after a giant tremor caused a devastating tsunami which killed almost 150.

No immediate tsunami alert was issued by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre in Hawaii.

The US Geological Survey said the earthquake, at a shallow depth of just 10 kilometres, struck 242 kilometres off Tonga's northwest island of Neiafu.

It was 377 kilometres from American Samoa capital Pago Pago, which was hard-hit by this week's 8.0 earthquake and tsunami.

© 2009 AFP

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by Phage

Dude, The second quake in Indonesia was an aftershock and hardly major compared to the 7.6 or 8.3.

Where did you get the 6.8 was an *aftershock*? There was a 7.6 followed by some small afershocks (nothing above 5?) then a separate quake followed.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by Wookiep]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
What is happening in the west Pacific/SE asia region? This is breaking news from Reuters -

Super typhoon bears down on flood-ravaged Philippines

MANILA, Oct 2 (Reuters) - The Philippines ordered the evacuation of people living in low-lying coastal areas on Friday as a "super typhoon" threatened devastation a week after flash floods killed nearly 300 people in and around Manila.

Typhoon Parma, 270 km (170 miles) east of the island of Catanduanes, was gaining strength as it churned west north-west towards the mainland and already bringing heavy rain to the area.

It was expected to make landfall near the northeastern Aurora and Isabela provinces on Luzon by Saturday. Most of the area is mountainous and not heavily populated, but Parma could bring heavy rain across the region over the next two days, making life even worse for Manila.

The Asia-Pacific region has been hit by a series of natural disasters in recent days, including Typhoon Ketsana which killed more than 400 in the Philippines, Vietnam and Cambodia.

Two powerful earthquakes rocked the Indonesian island of Sumatra, with the death toll likely to be in the thousands, and a tsunami battered American and Western Samoa, killing nearly 150.

"We're concerned about the effects of more rain on the relief work in flooded areas because the water level could rise again," Philippine Defence Secretary Gilberto Teodoro said in a briefing aired live on national television.

Teodoro, the head of the National Disaster Coordinating Council, has placed the military and police on alert and ordered civilian agencies to stockpile food, water, medicine, fuel and other relief supplies.

The weather bureau said Parma, with gusts of up to 230 kph (143 mph) at the centre, will be the strongest typhoon to hit the country since 2006.

"It's still very much possible that we will raise signal number 4 as it closes in on northern Luzon," Prisco Nilo, head of the weather bureau, told reporters.

At signal number 4, residential and commercial buildings may be severely damaged, large trees uprooted, and power and communication lines may be cut.

Ketsana left tens of thousands homeless in and around Manila and areas around a lake near the capital remain submerged under 2-3 metre floodwaters. It also damaged or destroyed more than $108 million in crops, infrastructure and property.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join