It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Second Major Earthquake Strikes Indonesia

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

You are missing the point. The data used for "your" graph is useless. Just look at the raw data. It is incomplete and it includes very minor earthquakes as being of "general historical interest". The selections make no obvious sense. For some reason they started "selecting" a lot more earthquakes in 2001. It isn't that there were more earthquakes, they just put more on that list.

The full data set, the one I graphed, the one with all the recorded quakes of 7.0 and greater, shows no such spike. It shows no general trend at all for the past 36 years. Here is the chart for 6.0 and greater.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9a46b383dc3b.png[/atsimg]
There is a slight general increase around 1993 which does reflect the increase in the number of recorded earthquakes due to the increase in instrumentation. Notice that other than the general increase at that time there is no other general trend. Notice that there is no spike in 2001.

[edit on 10/1/2009 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Stargate2012

So this has gone from breaking alternative news to predictions and prophecies??

In that case check out this forcast from last week...

Here comes an other one... [Indonesian earthquake calculated, more to come!!]

Peace

[edit on 1/10/2009 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The last time I checked, Maine and Colorado weren't known for being earthquake heavy zones. So, I would say that a 3.0 or 3.6 earthquake in either of those states would be statistically significant... something worth considering, and worth graphing.

Let's go back pre-2001 and find out how many earthquakes that Colorado and Maine had recorded before that, and at which magnitudes. I'm guessing, probably not many. So, if all of a sudden, those areas go from having no earthquakes to having an earthquake in the 3.0-3.8 range, I would call that statistically significant or of "historical" value. And therefore, that would make plenty of sense why he put those earthquakes on the graph. It was not arbitrary.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by nikiano]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

snowing here too,but hey Im in Norway

poor people ,may they rest in peace..

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I pray for those involved in this natural disaster, especially those who have lost someone or have lost their own lives. It is very hard to re-build after such a large disaster.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Well said.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

there were also a couple large earthquakes in the philippines last week before it got inundated with a deluge

they say the earth, moon, and jupiter were recently aligned with our galactic center

[edit on 1-10-2009 by reject]

[edit on 1-10-2009 by reject]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Jesus words as found in Matthew Chapter 24

As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, his disciples came to him privately and said, "Tell us, when will this happen? What will be the sign that you are coming again, and when will the world come to an end?"

And Jesus said to them in answer, Take care that you are not tricked.

For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; and there will be famines, plagues, and earthquakes in various places.

"No one knows when that day or hour will come. Even the angels in heaven and the Son don't know. Only the Father knows. "When the Son of Man comes again, it will be exactly like the days of Noah. In the days before the flood, people were eating, drinking, and getting married until the day that Noah went into the ship. They were not aware of what was happening until the flood came and swept all of them away. That is how it will be when the Son of Man comes again.

Do I need to say it, "WAKE UP PEOPLE!"

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by Phage

Dude, the point of the OP was that two quakes hit the same GEOGRAPHICAL REGION. Meaning, two hit Indonesia in the same day.

Your first post in this thread was all jacked up.
You said: "Minor point, Sumatra is 6,000 miles away from Samoa."

I clarified that there were actually three "major" (in quotations as the severity can be argued) in the last 48 hours. Two in Indonesia (as the OP is referncing) and another in Somalia.

It doesn't matter how I define region.

The Samoa correlation had nothing, NOTHING to do with this thread.
You brought it here in error and you are currently trying to make an argument with it.
I won't bite.

PS - Yadda, yadda, yadda.
I'm going to bed. Maybe I'll catch up tomorrow.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by JayinAR]

[edit on 1-10-2009 by JayinAR]

Dude, The second quake in Indonesia was an aftershock and hardly major compared to the 7.6 or 8.3.

I would bet that the 8.3 caused the 7.6 in Indonesia. That 8.3 probably shook everything loose not to mention the water displacement forces on the crust.

I cant help but notice how the largest Muslim country in the world gets hammered these days. I wonder if they made someone angry?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33
Jesus words as found in Matthew Chapter 24

As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, his disciples came to him privately and said, "Tell us, when will this happen? What will be the sign that you are coming again, and when will the world come to an end?"

And Jesus said to them in answer, Take care that you are not tricked.

For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; and there will be famines, plagues, and earthquakes in various places.

"No one knows when that day or hour will come. Even the angels in heaven and the Son don't know. Only the Father knows. "When the Son of Man comes again, it will be exactly like the days of Noah. In the days before the flood, people were eating, drinking, and getting married until the day that Noah went into the ship. They were not aware of what was happening until the flood came and swept all of them away. That is how it will be when the Son of Man comes again.

Do I need to say it, "WAKE UP PEOPLE!"

Sooo... then your saying that since Jesus mentioned earthquakes and there are a normal amount of earthquakes happening based on Phage's graph that......... I need a boat?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Comp still down but had to come opn for real iinfo, No good coverage in the news just snippits.

I have to ask if this is from volcanic disturbances ?

Also what chance of this hitting Hawaii and California coast?

It is just the beginning of the typical season frpom what I understand so does this mean it is not over or that it has taken pressure off and saving other countries such as US and Australia?

The outcry of saddness and shock is very strong and my heart breaks for the loss of life and wellbeing.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
God Loves everyone.

:This thread is breaking the T@Cs

T(His forums. And Gods.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
swarms of small earthquakes have been reported in California over night. Could all of this be related?? Kinda hard to think its not.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Okey, not sure if this goes here. Last night on the radio I heard something strange/odd. The radio announcer was doing the news an stated that after four days of major earthquakes Peru is the next area hit by a 8.0 quake.
Now the odd part, I check the news when I get home and nothing. I did a search on the net an found nothing except for the 07 quake. Anyone else hear of a quake down there?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

saw the Peru quake on the news last night but it look like it was a mag 5.9

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cydonia2012
swarms of small earthquakes have been reported in California over night. Could all of this be related?? Kinda hard to think its not.

Again, California is on the other side of the Pacific plate. The expansion of the Pacific plate is causing the Cocos plate to slip and subduct.

California on a slip and subduction angle of the disappearing Cocos plate that is being pushed by the expansion of the Pacific plate, and the top edge of the Cocos plate has already subducted under the North American plate.

A release of pressure from that side should be expected. The Pacific plate is expanding very fast (geologically), and it produces a lot of pressure. on that side.

Think of it this way. The pressure of the Pacific plates expansion is what has created the mountain range that extends from the bottom of South America up the the top of North America. The remenants of ancient plates are being pushed under North America and South America by it.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

Why do I have to do all the work?

Since 1973 there have been 36 magnitude 3.0+ quakes within a 200km radius of the center of Maine. That's one a year. There was a 5.2 in 1973 that isn't on the list.

Since 1973 there have been 138 magnitude 3.0+ quakes in Colorado. In 1973 there was a 4.2 which is not on the list. In 1994 there was a 4.0 which is not on the list.

The list is useless.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by reject
reply to post by JayinAR

they say the earth, moon, and jupiter were recently aligned with our galactic center

Please don't be fooled by these suggestions that planetary alignments cause anything.
Any planetary alignment is from OUR PERSPECTIVE ON EARTH only. It has no significance to the rest of the universe.

The affect any planetary alignment could have on us as far as we are aware is limited to the emotional state from witnessing an eclipse etc.

On the EQ situation, I'm choosing to ignore the religious nuts proclaiming the apocalypse. But I'll gladly pop back in 14 days, point at them and laugh my arse off when nothing happens.

At them moment there is no evidence that anything is going on other than some eager reporting by people wanting to continue the EQ drama around the world. EQ's happen all the time, they're just being reported now in such numbers to make headlines.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by detachedindividual]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Wasnt there sometime back someone whom said that a sort of erm...natural dimensional hole or stargate or something moved over to Indonesia and said you will see proof of this by major earthquakes or some such...donno, it was one of those rambling people whom say a ton of wild stuff with not a shread of evidence to back it up..bah, nevermind, if someone knows what I am talking about, then help me out here (shows you how much I paid attention to them) else nevermind then.

I blame Obama *shakes fist*

I packed my apocolypse bag full of necessities (bible, a dry towel, sunscreen, etc) but figure will leave it in the back of my car for now until we get at least one more major earthquake by tomorrowish...once is bad luck, twice is coincidence, 3 times is time to start questioning.

Sucks to be in Indonesia right now...in the same way that it sorta sucked to be in Florida some years back when like 400 hurricanes hit us. Come to find out that was pretty natural and standard on the law of average...just some bad luck, but go figure, the apoclypse didnt happen then either (luckily...forgot to pack my apocbag then..cant imagine meeting the 4 horsemen without sunscreen).

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dallas18

Jupiter is behind the moon right now? You're kidding right? Astronomy 101 might do you some good.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join