It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Second Major Earthquake Strikes Indonesia

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by Aeons

So it IS coincidal with the Peru Quake.

That does make four.
I'm an idiot, but I guess we can expect another quake in where? New Zealand?
South Island?

Maybe off coast.

If not there it will be miles and miles east of Australia.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by JayinAR]

There are going to be thousands more quakes on the edges of the Pacific plate. It is a very active plate and pushy.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Source is here:
neic.usgs.gov...

They were both in South Sumatra. You expanded the area though, there could be more.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Of that there is no doubt, I am just trying to pinpoint the next 7+ magnitude to occur shortly.

That will put us one fewer than Phage's yearly totals in the 7 range on the year.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

How do you define "region"?

Sumatra is 6,000 miles from Samoa. It lies on the Eurasian plate, near the intersection with the Australian plate. Samoa lies on the Pacific plate near the intersection with the Australian plate.

Are you saying they are in the same region because they share a connection with the Australian plate? In that case Africa, India, and Antarctica are also in the same region as Samoa.

[edit on 10/1/2009 by Phage]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by JayinAR

How do you define "region"?

Sumatra is 6,000 miles from Samoa. It lies on the Eurasian plate, near the intersection with the Indo-Australian plate. Samoa lies on the Pacific plate near the intersection with the Indo-Australian plate.

Are you saying they are in the same region because they share a connection with the Indo-Australian plate? In that case Africa, India, and Antarctica are also in the same region as Samoa.

Depends on how the edge they are on it acting in comparison to the plate on there. Samoa and Indonesia are both on an edge that is subducting along the same plate. Directly across from that point is the Nazca plate that is also being forced to subduct by the same expansion. A deep release of pressure on the other side of the plate isn't insensible.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Dude, the point of the OP was that two quakes hit the same GEOGRAPHICAL REGION. Meaning, two hit Indonesia in the same day.

Your first post in this thread was all jacked up.
You said: "Minor point, Sumatra is 6,000 miles away from Samoa."

I clarified that there were actually three "major" (in quotations as the severity can be argued) in the last 48 hours. Two in Indonesia (as the OP is referncing) and another in Somalia.

It doesn't matter how I define region.

The Samoa correlation had nothing, NOTHING to do with this thread.
You brought it here in error and you are currently trying to make an argument with it.
I won't bite.

PS - Yadda, yadda, yadda.
I'm going to bed. Maybe I'll catch up tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
reply to post by SquishyFishy

Earthquakes are normal. Aftershocks are normal. Not two major quakes one a 7.6 and the other 6.8 within less than a day in the same region. Add to that an 8.0 6k miles away with several 5.0+ aftershocks preceeding it. It's either just really odd coincidental timing, or something else.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Wookiep]

Actually TPTB are HAARP-ing up earthquakes to depopulate and divert world's attention from the US meltdown. You know, buy our Treasury bonds or we HAARP you.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I see your point.
The OP said:

Another major earthquake with death toll forecasts in the thousands, lets hope they're way off target there! The pacific is really heating up right now, I hope we don't see anymore major earthquakes for a long time.

Indonesia is not in the Pacific, Samoa is.

The only two 7.0+ quakes were the one in Samoa and the first one in Sumatra. You were even saying there were two 8.0 quakes. That is why I thought you were talking about Samoa. Do you see my point?

The real point is, of course, the terrible loss of life as a result of all of the recent earthquakes.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
In 2004, 2-3 days before the 9.5 Indonesia earthquake, there was one of 8.5 between New Zealand and Antarctica.

So, yes, I believe one big earthquake can trigger another one, in another plate.
Just remember seismic waves propagate all over the planet.

In fact, this even comes today in BBC News.
news.bbc.co.uk...

There is no coincidence, and in fact this is completely normal.

In the next days, we can expect more quakes, aftershocks, and maybe a volcano or two erupting. In a large scale of time, sometimes Earth has periods of intense activity. This is normal.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
It looks like HAARP is hard at work.

It looks a bit weird that there's a second earthquake right after the previous one.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
The earth quakes near Tonga and Somoa are getting close to Curacoa submarine volcano. Which is just north of island Tafahi about 20 miles.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Well, refering to my post before, there is in fact one thing that I discover to be not normal (or maybe it is, but I dont know it)

The magnetic field of Earth showed yesterday a large disruption if you follow the data: www2.nict.go.jp...

Around 10 UT 30/9/2009 there was a disruption just before the Sumatra quake, then returned back again to normal.
My question is: is this some cosmic interfeerence, is this a normal Earth activity, or is this a HAARP activity?

I have no knowledge to say with confidence whether this magnetic disruption is normal or not.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by segurelha]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Ok, I did more research, I am almost 90% certain a major major earthquake could occur on Oct. 10th or around there. Plus minus 24-48 hours. It could be something else though that occurs that is earthshaking...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I was reading George Ure's Urbansurvival.com blog, as I do just about every day, and today he posted a very interesting graph. Turns out the number of "historic" earthquakes ARE increasing. And strangely enough, they started really increasing about 2001.

Check this graph out:

urbansurvival.com...

Link to his blog:

urbansurvival.com...

[edit on 1-10-2009 by nikiano]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Oh dear god! Things are converging here. I am freaking out now!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
My friend just flew to Indo on Sunday. I hope he as well as the inhabitants are safe and secure. That is a horrible thing to have to go through. I went through the 7.1 quake of the Bay Area in '89 and it was life altering to say the least.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

The data used for that graph is not useable for this purpose.

Selected earthquakes of general historic interest.
earthquake.usgs.gov...
It is no where near a complete list of earthquakes. There are no specific criteria for the selections. It includes earthquakes such as a 3.8 in Maine and 3.6 in Colorado. It does show that the number of low magnitude earthquakes recorded has increased due to the existence of more seismometers and better communication of data (the internet).

Here is a graph showing all recorded earthquakes of magnitude 7 and above since 1973 (as of September 1).
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fe3582985ecf.png[/atsimg]
neic.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Sorry, but I don't buy that explanation. You mean to tell me that all of a sudden in 2001, we had a huge increase in earthquake monitors placed all over in the world? Nope...don't buy it.

If the number of earthquakes had not gone up suddenly in 2001, but had gradually increased over the decade or so, that would be evidence for your theory that the increase in the number of earthquakes recorded is due to an increased amount of monitors put in place.

But I have to seriously doubt that in 2001, the USGS (and all the other geology departments all over the world) suddenly got a ton more earthquake monitors put into place in 2001. No government department moves that quickly; the funding just isn't there to purchase and put into place that many monitors in one year.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by nikiano]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by JayinAR

I see your point.
The OP said:

Another major earthquake with death toll forecasts in the thousands, lets hope they're way off target there! The pacific is really heating up right now, I hope we don't see anymore major earthquakes for a long time.

Indonesia is not in the Pacific, Samoa is.

The only two 7.0+ quakes were the one in Samoa and the first one in Sumatra. You were even saying there were two 8.0 quakes. That is why I thought you were talking about Samoa. Do you see my point?

The real point is, of course, the terrible loss of life as a result of all of the recent earthquakes.

Well that was an error on my part. I didn't take Geography at high school, so I'm deeply sorry that you are confused because of this

My point was just as JayinAR says:

Originally posted by JayinAR
Dude, the point of the OP was that two quakes hit the same GEOGRAPHICAL REGION. Meaning, two hit Indonesia in the same day.

Your first post in this thread was all jacked up.
You said: "Minor point, Sumatra is 6,000 miles away from Samoa."

I admit I wasn't 100% clear with what I said. Now it's your turn to admit you made an error.

By the way, your first post was just you being a smart ass, nothing new there though.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Emerald The Paradigm

Is anybody monitoring HAARP? They were active during Katrina, during the May 2008 China quake. Has anyone made a correlation of severe weather, earthquakes and HAARP activity? I'll bet they were behind the flooding as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join