It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Second Major Earthquake Strikes Indonesia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

A second major earthquake has hit Indonesia's Sumatra island as officials say the overall death toll could number in the "thousands".

The 6.9 magnitude struck at 8.52am local time (1.52pm NZT) Thursday on Sumatra island, about 280km from the epicentre of a more powerful quake on Wednesday (local time), The United States Geological Survey said.

Rustam Pakaya, the head of the Indonesian health ministry's disaster centre, made the death toll forecast to Reuters at Jakarta's Halim airport.

Rescue efforts are under way around the area worst hit by Wednesday's quake, the regional capital of Padang on West Sumatra. At least 200 people died there and thousands are said to be trapped under collapsed buildings throughout the province.

www.stuff.co.nz...
edition.cnn.com...

Another major earthquake with death toll forecasts in the thousands, lets hope they're way off target there! The pacific is really heating up right now, I hope we don't see anymore major earthquakes for a long time.

May everyone who passed away rest in peace...

[edit on 30/9/09 by dmorgan]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Lets pray that the loss of life is little to none!

They are getting pounded!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
COMING VERY SOON!!!! WITHIN THE NEXT 14 DAYS!

The Revelation
of St. John the Divine

12 ¶ And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; Rev. 11.13 ; 16.18 and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
13 and the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, Is. 13.10 · Ezek. 32.7 · Joel 2.31 · Mt. 24.29 · Mk. 13.24, 25 · Lk. 21.25 even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; Is. 34.4 and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. Rev. 16.20
15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; Is. 2.10
16 and said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us Hos. 10.8 · Lk. 23.30 from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
17 for the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand? Joel 2.11 · Mal. 3.2

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Small point: Sumatra is in the Indian Ocean and about 6,000 miles from Samoa. It is also one of the most active earthquake locations on the planet.

[edit on 9/30/2009 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Stargate2012

How do you figure the next 14 days?

Prayers to all those affected. All this just leaves me wondering when the US will get its big one?

Hopefully never.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Horrible. Wierd though, last week i kept thinking of large earthquakes, and this week we get hit. Now this week im thinking of snow. I hope next week snows.

May they all progress on in love and light. Best wishes.

I can't even bare to think of the people stuck under there right this second, while i am here, they are in misery and pain. I no that every second someone is, but to know how and for a fact it is right now is awkward. I do not like it, i wish i could just go there and help them.

I send my love and healing to all of them.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by gandhi]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

How do you figure the next 14 days?

Prayers to all those affected. All this just leaves me wondering when the US will get its big one?

Hopefully never.

Because, of THE LAST GREAT DAY!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
So this is actually three major earthquakes within two days.
Wow.
If this is the Revelation of St. John, all I can say is "it is about time."

But I don't believe that for a second and I think the biblical scriptures are way off base here.

Unfortunately, this doesn't look good for the Indonesians in the path of these back-to-back major quakes in their immediate locale.

The actual numbers could be very high.

But hey, at least they get to see the other side.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
it is amazing this recent activity. i am concerned about the thousands of volcanos around this region, also interesting that jupiter is behind the moon at this time and it will also be again on the 26th Oct (i read this on another thread) (very significant date this one). maybe krakatoa will wake

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think there were actually three quakes.
One in Samoa, one in Indonesia and now a second in Indonesia.

Unless I'm mistaken. It HAS become confusing over the last two days.

I was following the possibility of a major quake in Peru, also. As it turns out, it wasn't so major and it was deep.

I was thinking this actually made FOUR, but it appears to be only three...
Two in Indonesia and one in Samoa.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dallas18

Is Jupiter actually behind the moon?
I thought I spotted it on my way to the store 30 minutes ago...

I'm probably wrong, though.
I thought I spotted it way off to the bottom right of the moon.

Last night, however, it hung with the moon all night.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dallas18
it is amazing this recent activity. i am concerned about the thousands of volcanos around this region, also interesting that jupiter is behind the moon at this time and it will also be again on the 26th Oct (i read this on another thread) (very significant date this one). maybe krakatoa will wake

This from CNN:

The magnitude-6.3 Yogyakarta quake in central Java in May 2006 killed more than 5,000 people, triggered fears of an eruption of a nearby volcano and caused significant damage to a 9th century Prambanan temple.

edition.cnn.com...

So yes volcano eruptions are a big concern when a large quake strikes in this location. That's all they need

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Why do you say 14 days?
Are'nt there 7 seals and what happens when the 7th is opened?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I hope everyone is OK and that Singapore doesn't get affected, I know someone there! I hope they're alright...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
There were at least 4 earthquakes measuring 5.0+ on the day of the Samoan one. They made a near straight line heading towards the North Island of New Zealand.

It looks like there may be many more in store to come

Best wishes to all those who've lost loved ones.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Also worth noting, I suppose, is that I have read a chart that showed how many quakes of a certain magnitude were normal for any given year.
It was in the yellowstone mega-thread.
The chart showed that magnitude 8 quakes only happen about 5 times per year, around the world (this is on memory, so I could be wrong)...

Anyhow, we have had two in what? One day? With a 7 on their heels and several above 5.

The Peruvian quake I mentioned was a 5.9.

Extremely active around the Ring of Fire right now.

I'm quite certain this is unheard of in History.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose

Why do you say 14 days?
Are'nt there 7 seals and what happens when the 7th is opened?

True, 1-5 have already been opened. The 6th one might be very near. The 7th one is at the very 'end of time' which is around Dec. 2012. And I say possibly around 14 days from now because of the LAST GREAT DAY.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Stargate2012]

link   
What would happen to Florida if a 6 or 7 or higher magnitude were to strike in the Mid Atlantic Ridge?

link   

Originally posted by gandhi
Horrible. Wierd though, last week i kept thinking of large earthquakes, and this week we get hit. Now this week im thinking of snow. I hope next week snows.

Its snowing where I am as we speak.......

reply to post by MagicaRose

I would think BU-BYE Florida.................

[edit on 30-9-2009 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I've felt like just recently that we're approaching the end times.

Too many things are happening all at once and never in my life have I felt this way.

The bad thing is that there's no way to prepare for this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join