It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. church ordains sex offender as minister

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
cnews.canoe.ca...

"OUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A tiny Louisville church’s newest minister is a gifted music leader and popular among its three dozen members.

Mark Hourigan is also a sex offender. Almost a decade ago, long before he joined the flock at the City of Refuge Worship Center, he was convicted of sexually abusing an 11-year-old boy in central Kentucky. Hourigan served a five-year sentence and the 41-year-old was placed on Kentucky’s sex offender registry for the rest of his life."

Just a classic.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
If we were all judged by our past experiences, I think we'd all be ashamed, especially if society was judging us by the past instead of giving us second chances in life. We are all human, aren't we?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
i gotta say that a child predator is the lowest of the low of the human race. but he went to jail and served his time. he has paid his debt to society and deserves another chance. i find any child crimes terrible but jail is supposed to me their way of being punished for their crimes. after jail they should be allowed to live a normal life. they should be closely watched but not discriminated against.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

Sorry - when it comes to sexually assaulting an 11 year old boy - "It's one strike and you are OUT"!

If you know anything about pedophiles, especially those with a homosexual bent, you will know that they are never cured.

NEVER.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevilJin
If we were all judged by our past experiences, I think we'd all be ashamed, especially if society was judging us by the past instead of giving us second chances in life. We are all human, aren't we?

He MOLESTED a child! Second chance?! Are you serious? Especially to work in a church where there may be more kids?!

Listen, a little disclosure from me here. It happened to me when I was younger. Not by a priest, but from a neighbor. I am living proof of how things like this can mess up someones life!

Jeez.

But I'm cool about it these days. I have no shame in talking about it.

But molesting a child is an awful, selfish thing to do to someone. Actually it's beyond that. It's just plain sick.

This dude should not get a "second chance" at this.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
You got all kinds of nuts starting churches. If you read the article, they aren't exactly your run of the mill christian church.

I imagine they are a few more members short of being a cult.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

Leo, normally I agree with you, and to your point, that you can't cure them, you are right. You can't "cure" a pedophile any more than you can "cure" a gay, or a bestiality nut, or any other sexual perversion.

I think there is enough evidence out there now proving that these are biological, mental issues that no one can do anything about with our current science.

We can't lock them all up for the rest of their lives though. All we can do is try to show them the error of their ways and be vigilant.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

He MOLESTED a child! Second chance?! Are you serious? Especially to work in a church where there may be more kids?!

Listen, a little disclosure from me here. It happened to me when I was younger. Not by a priest, but from a neighbor. I am living proof of how things like this can mess up someones life!

Jeez.

But I'm cool about it these days. I have no shame in talking about it.

But molesting a child is an awful, selfish thing to do to someone. Actually it's beyond that. It's just plain sick.

This dude should not get a "second chance" at this.

You sound bitter.
And the fact you said you have been molested gives valid reasons for people to suspect you are irrational in this and cannot judge at all without some biasness on your part.

You are basically saying if someone does something wrong, then tattoo their forehead with the crime. Make them a Valjean. Yes, he molested a child but if he paid for his crime, should he not be given a second chance in life? Should we not believe he has gotten better? Change his life?

Is it rational to make people out to be something they are not anymore because of an action that cannot changed? I guess you are right. Maybe you should shoot every criminal who tries to better himself. God forbid, he could contribute to society.

I will never understand people who think like you. It is the same with the whole Michael Vick thing, people making a scapegoat of him though there are many other dogmen out there. People do not look beyond what the media conditions them to look. It is not a sign of rationality or enlightenment if you can't see with fresh eyes. What is the point of punishment if you are going to chastise them repeatedly?

Guess being fair is outdated.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

I will never understand people who think like you.

Probably because you haven't been molested.

Something tells me that if you had, you would feel differently about this.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about all of this. It's a private institution, so they should be allowed to hire whoever they want (as long as its a legal hiring, of course). However, since he very well may be in close contact with children, they should issue a public warning to members of the church about this man's past, and probably take steps to limit his interaction with younger members.

Believe me, I am all for the rehabilitation of former criminals, especially ones that served their time and paid for their crime. However, it would be folly to assume that this man is no longer graced by pedophilic thoughts.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by leo123

This is pretty much old news. Yeah, I don't like it all, but if this church wants this guy to be leading them then so be it. It's on them and on their conscience, or however it is spelled. The guy claims he has been cured. Oh, well. Good luck to all involved. I hope the new minister has been cured an changed by the almighty power of Jesssssssssssssssssssssuss!

Did I mention that I have a statue of Jesus on my dashboard, and he bounces and bobbles to and fro and protects me?

Don't worry. Jesus called this man and he now will be an exemplary Chrisian. Seriously folks, Jesus protects us alll, if we believe.

Can we have a devil picture here?

There it is. The pissed off angel who was thrown to earth by God and he is really upset. That's okay. Jesus will come and destroy him soon, but, oops, not really destory him, just lock him up and let him loose again.
WTF? Just do away with him. eh? What is this? Some sort of sick game?

I ain't playin' your game, buddy.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

I will never understand people who think like you.

Probably because you haven't been molested.

Something tells me that if you had, you would feel differently about this.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about all of this. It's a private institution, so they should be allowed to hire whoever they want (as long as its a legal hiring, of course). However, since he very well may be in close contact with children, they should issue a public warning to members of the church about this man's past, and probably take steps to limit his interaction with younger members.

Believe me, I am all for the rehabilitation of former criminals, especially ones that served their time and paid for their crime. However, it would be folly to assume that this man is no longer graced by pedophilic thoughts.

Actually, I have a very close relative who was raped so I think I have some idea in understanding their point of view, however, you missed my point on that. My point was that people are unforgiving. My example with Michael Vick - people were calling for his death and all, even though they have not been through what those dogs went through, yet they place feelings onto Vick that are unjustified. And they do it always.

And I never stated that there should be complete trust nor did I state or mean that he would not do it again. What I meant is that people should not look and judge him for what he did, however, that which what he did should not be entirely disregarded.

new topics

top topics

join