It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about U2U's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I have a simple question and am not able to post this thread unless I have a certain amount of text and conversation spurring talk. My question is simple and I will simply ask it.

Are U2U's really private between members? Can moderators read them? Can anyone read them except for the immediate members that they concern?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by trivialtantrum

Given the sheer volume of U2U's I would guess that viewing each one would be impractical, but I also would surmise that there should be no real expectation of privacy, the same as anywhere else.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

That's a very good point. I imagine by volume alone it would seem improbable to monitor them all. Although I do still wonder if the have the ability to.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by trivialtantrum

That's a very good point. I imagine by volume alone it would seem improbable to monitor them all. Although I do still wonder if the have the ability to.

Of course they do. Ability and motivation being entirely different fish.

Typically at institutions with which I am familiar keywords are employed as part of the standard filtering/discovery process. As it IS electronic messaging, certain state mandates may apply to retention for the mitigation of legal liability. Flags will be generated when something needs to be looked at more closely, but everything is retained for several years. The ability to search the repository of messages typically exists and administrators can query the message repository for any word, user, time, etc.

I'm not saying they DO, I'm just saying they probably CAN. Again, a lot of difference.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Yeah I imagine it's this way. By using the service we submit our self to a lack of privacy and then there's the argument that we don't need the privacy or need to worry if were not doing something we shouldn't be. I like idea of privacy regardless of that argument. Either way your probably right about the filtering and flagging process. Kind of like a mini echelon project for ATS.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
If I send a nasty U2U to someone and they complain to the mods about it, I have no doubt the mods can and will check out what I wrote, and warn me if I overstepped any rules.

But otherwise I doubt they would see them ordinarily if they don't have any reason to look.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Robosnoops

The Robosnoops that edit your posts and U2U's for swear words...

The Robosnoops that can stop certain websites from being linked

The Robosnoops that can pick up a key word and make a banner appear under your post

Gotta love Robosnoops

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
If you really want private conversations with other users on the forum you can email them directly... but then again, who knows how private those emails are as well.

new topics

top topics

join