It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What If the Moon Didn't Exist? (Think before you speak)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
What if the moon didn't exist?

It is amazing to think that the moon, and insignificant object in our universe could actually be significant. Who knew that? Who knew that the moon is more than just a beauty to look at through the night sky? Don't answer that question because most of you will say yes I knew that, but I found it amazing.

I find it amazing because it seems to me that everything in the universe is there for us, extracting one thing from the equation basically we are f'ed.

Now back to the moon part:

1. The day would be eight hours long.
2. The winds would be much stronger.
3. Complex life might not exist yet.
4. When life did arrive, it would have a different biology.

www.astrosociety.org...

Without the moon, they say, the earth is going to rotate much faster. What happens when earth rotates faster? Well we can take Jupiter as an example since Jupiter's rotation is one of the fastest in our Solar System (correct me if I'm wrong):

The best known feature of Jupiter is the Great Red Spot, a persistent anticyclonic storm located 22° south of the equator that is larger than Earth. It is known to have been in existence since at least 1831,[40] and possibly since 1665.[41] Mathematical models suggest that the storm is stable and may be a permanent feature of the planet.[42] The storm is large enough to be visible through Earth-based telescopes with an aperture of 12 cm or larger.[43]

en.wikipedia.org...

If the earth's rotation increases there will be stronger and long lasting storms which would make the living condition for some life very very hard.

And seriously what is up with the Great Red Spot, doesn't anyone find it weird? Maybe the inhabitants of Jupiter got sick of foreign interventions that they decided to hide from outside world the existence of any being in Jupiter. Some times the greatest defense is if they don't know you exist at all.

The size of the storm is double the size of the earth

Any ways, an incredibly stupid thread which started from the effect of moonless earth to Jupiter containing an advanced society which just wants to live peacefully.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

could it be an invert shadow ?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
reply to post by oozyism

could it be an invert shadow ?

What do you mean an invert shadow? Please explain.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
If humans could survive without a moon, this would probably benefit the elites' agenda more than anything else.

8 hours a day? Multitasking people would go nuts!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
not EVERYTHING in the universe is there for us; there are plenty of galaxies whose light does not reach us and are thus irrelevant to our existence. This also counts countless planets, galaxies, gas clouds, and other universes (assuming there are multiple universes).

however, the moon really does not get as much praise as it should get. without the moon humanity would most likely not have existed, in our place there probably would have been some weird sentient species that would have asked itself "imagine if we had a moon."

thanks for raising this thread, i am now going to head outside and look up at the beautiful moon.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
What if the moon didn't exist?

1. The day would be eight hours long.
2. The winds would be much stronger.
3. Complex life might not exist yet.
4. When life did arrive, it would have a different biology.

www.astrosociety.org...

Without the moon, they say, the earth is going to rotate much faster.

I'm not sure how they figure that.

The most popular theory for the formation of the moon holds that the Earth was barely rotating at all ( so a day might be say, a month long!!!) when a planet the size of mars crashed into the Earth at a glancing angle, which is what started the Earth spinning and afterwards the resulting debris formed the moon.

So, if that theory is correct, if that planet had missed the earth so the moon never formed, the Earth would be spinning slower without the moon, not faster.

But the moon is significant to us, I'm glad it's there!

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by newworld
thanks for raising this thread, i am now going to head outside and look up at the beautiful moon.

It's the greatest show on earth! Nothing else comes close as far as I'm concerned. Volcanoes and storms come and go, but the moon is old school cool and always fascinating.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
All I know is once the BOMBING OF THE MOON BEGINS IT BETTER NOT TURN RED.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I think there is an opinion that the Moon helped stabilize Earth's axis of rotation, which otherwise would wobble due to various perturbations of gravity field. This is an extremely important factor in providing a relatively stable environment on the planet which made life possible.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Without a Moon:

no lunar eclipse,
no solar eclipse,
no somnambulism,
no more barking at moon
no mooncalves,
no moonflowers,
no moonlight,
no moonlight flitting,
no moonshine,