It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need VIEW ALL REPLIES

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Since ATS has a "Reply To" button, it would be really nice if there were also a link to see all replies to a particular post.

When a thread gets really long, it's annoying to sift through 20 pages of posts to see if anyone replied to yours, and a waste of bandwidth.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by maus80

Wow, once a week we get these threads asking for this feature.

it's too much coding, far too much work and isn't necessary. This is forum, you are suppose to go through a bunch of trash before getting to what you want.

Sad but true.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by maus80

Nice idea but you must remember that ATS needs to generate traffic to function as a business and pay it's bills. As the previous member also suggested, it's a huge amount of coding... and it would simply be another bandwidth chewer.

IRM

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
While I like the idea, it wouldn't work too well, because, from what I've seen, not everyone uses the "Reply to" button when replying to someone's post. Some people prefer using the quote button. Others don't do anything at all and just post a post. (Both of which are fine it's just preference.) Since people don't always use the reply button, a reply to your post may be lost because not everyone "replies" to it directly.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Wouldn't it be selective reading if you just looked at the response directed at you? How would you know what the rest of the discussion is like? How would you know if what you've said has already been covered by someone else in the thread or if a turning point post has been made by someone?

I understand you want to know if someone responded to one of your posts, but just as much as you want people to read your posts, other people want their posts to be read. They made the effort to respond to a thread, why not just read the entire thread (since your last post) and actually follow the discussion?

Just asking.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
ok , I might be new here, and some may feel as such am not entitled to an opinion on this topic,
But I have to say , I also think this a necessary feature for this site.
I am currently in and out of the Bush, and therefore not much internet time or access,but have participated in a few threads the last week.
With limited time to delve thru' topics purely to not be rude and not reply if someone addresses me, I would never get the time at all to follow the 1 or 2 threads that are currently of huge interest to me, and therefore would not be benefiting at all from this site with true deep knowledge acquired, I would (as I did for an hour until I decided I had not the time to worry about the social nicety's AND catch up on the Moon thread. ) merely be skimming the surface of each discussion and not be able to take the time to follow source links.
If coding is a problem, then couldn't admin. at least create a subscription option by email to alert member's to a reply?
I was on a really crappy social site once that had this feature,( this site didn't depend on advertising), and they had this facility....
I'm a bit baffled why the #1,888 site rank(us) can't provide some way of making life easier in a fast paced world ?
And as for traffic being a factor; surely there would be MORE traffic if people knew to come back and engage in a conversion additional to the central theme in a thread where people address their post personally ?
Seriously I find it most strange you do not have something of the sort, and in my new nonlurker empowered state of being am going to star and flag the OP in appreciation of having asked a very good question.

[edit on 1/10/09 by asIam]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Yes, it would be selective reading, but if your post is directed at specific members, it would be nice to know if they responded.

It's not so much a "Did anyone care what I said 5 pages back?" thing, as a "Well he/she asked me a question, and I responded, now how am I going to find their response to mine?" etc.

I don't see how this would eat up bandwidth, I would think being able to see all responses to a post on one page would use less bandwidth than going through 20 pages of posts looking for a few responses.

I understand if this requires too much effort to implement, but I wasn't coming from an "I don't care what anyone has to say if they aren't talking to me!" point of view.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

It's actually kind of easy. Just a few clicks.

Click on their name then go to their post history and find the thread in question then click on and see their In-Thread responses.

Works for me...

[edit on 1-10-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Not a horrible alternative, but not as good as.

Thanks for pointing that out though.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by maus80
Since ATS has a "Reply To" button, it would be really nice if there were also a link to see all replies to a particular post.

When a thread gets really long, it's annoying to sift through 20 pages of posts to see if anyone replied to yours, and a waste of bandwidth.

I've come back to a thread after missing loads of posts and just read a couple, leading to a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

When I read through the thread and put the post (that had so offended me) in context, I found that it meant something quite different to how I first perceived it.

It's like walking into a room halfway through a conversation.

I wouldn't mouth off if I walked into a room halfway through a conversation, so why should I do it here?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
A little advice to help you find your replies is to use your browsers text search function. In firefox open the edit menu and select "find". Go to the thread of interest and type your screen name into the "find" box. Then click on page one and search, page two search, page three, search , so on and so on. When people reply to your post your screen name will be in their post which makes it really easy. This does not counter the bandwidth problem though it does help with speed.

Another way you can do it is use the ATS search box and type in "reply to post by __your screen name here__ " or "originally posted by __your screen name here" Then to narrow it down to a certain thread type in a couple key words from the OP title .

Two great ways to find those replies. Hope this helps.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

a star for you Budski for your post.
I've just had that very thing happen to me,quite the humbling experience.
ahh as we live so we learn.

new topics

top topics

join