It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

47% will pay no federal income tax

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I placed this thread in this forum because federal income tax questions are increasingly political issues.

Interesting statistics in the is CNN Money article.

CNN Money Article

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Most people think they pay too much to Uncle Sam, but for some people it simply is not true.

In 2009, roughly 47% of households, or 71 million, will not owe any federal income tax, according to estimates by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center.

Some in that group will even get additional money from the government because they qualify for refundable tax breaks.

Looking at the chart from the article, over 63 million citizens with incomes under $50K pay no federal tax at all. What if these people had to pay only a $500 "flat tax" for being under the $50k level? That would generate an additional $31.5 billion in revenues, which is probably far more than the government would raise by increasing taxes on the relatively few people in the upper income brackets that pay no taxes..

As the article says, having so many pay nothing is probably not sustainable.

[edit on 9/30/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Once one understands that not ONE PENNY of every single income tax dollar collected NATION WIDE, goes to providing services or building infrastructure. Then they must ask why pay it at all?

Everyone loves to get all riled up when they hear about millions being squandered by companies and the government. Yet billions per day are wasted paying interest of interest created by interest on interest of interest.

Our income taxes just allow for more "loans", that's all. And each persons "SSN/SIN" are simply a bond that the government uses as a pledge against their imaginary debt to international bankers.

Imagine what good would be done in the world if people started to not have to give away anywhere from 30-50% of their income to income taxes. If everyone in the US suddenly quit paying their income taxes, we would be able to again seize power from the bankers.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

I understand where you are coming from.

However, my point with the OP was that if some have to pay, then shouldn't everyone have pay at least some "token" amount?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

what if those making over $1 million paid $1000 each and for each additional million made, they paid $1000.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

what if those making over $1 million paid $1000 each and for each additional million made, they paid $1000.

You have to look at the numbers of people in each category to estimate the revenue you would gain. I would guess there are not that many people in the category you are talking about, so the gain in revenues might be much less. And BTW this is about people who pay no taxes at all, not those getting refunds, etc.

Again, I'd be happy paying no taxes, but since I have to, how about everyone else at least having to contribute something?

We're talking about almost half of the income earners in this country paying nothing! That means the other half of us are paying too much in my book.

[edit on 9/30/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
reply to post by king9072

However, my point with the OP was that if some have to pay, then shouldn't everyone have pay at least some "token" amount?

Everyone pays taxes in the form of a sales tax when they buy almost anything, be it a bottle of cheap wine or a Mercedes.

A portion of all sales taxes goes into the federal coffers in one form or another.

My solution is to have a flat 15% percent income tax for everyone and a huge sales tax especially on luxury items.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I do not see how that is possible. I make under 50K a year and I most certainly see a large chunk of my paycheck gone every two weeks because of INCOME taxes.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigshow

I do not see how that is possible. I make under 50K a year and I most certainly see a large chunk of my paycheck gone every two weeks because of INCOME taxes.

But if you get it all back in the form of a tax refund, you have effectively paid nothing. And this is only talking about federal income taxes, not state or local.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I cleaim exempt on my w-2's now. Have been claiming it for about 5 years now. have not filed taxes in the same amount of years.
No ill side effects, and I will refuse to do so even with threat of prison.

I truly believe the American people in general no longer are in the politicians best interests, only the corporations and elite that provide millions of dollars in contributions to help politicians get elected are represented nowadays.
NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

My solution is to have a flat 15% percent income tax for everyone and a huge sales tax especially on luxury items.

Logically, that does seem to make the most sense. Everyone ends up paying something. Whether or not it is 15% or not would have to be determined when a bill was created for congress.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Reply to post by skeetontheconspiracy

And I might add, I work for the government, Dept Homeland Security Tech Agent. Still havent ran into any trouble
So it's kind of funny and ironic.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
If someone making 50k can get all of their money back, so should someone who makes 50 mil (as most people don't make that much)

The idea of a flat "token" tax is good, I think considering that the spread of wealth in this country. If you expect people who make over a million a year to pay the same percentage as you, who makes under 50k a year, then you are just as bad as the rest of them.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I'm 23, married, and make just between 40-50k depending on work. I pay taxes, I DO NOT get it all back. I'm sorry, but you have been lied to.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
there are over 6 million people collecting unemployment right now. That doesn't include the ones who have run out of benefits & still have no jobs.

It is impossible to collect income tax on someone with no income.

What that chart conveniently doesn't mention is how many of those making under $50K are actually making any income at all.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeetontheconspiracy
Reply to post by skeetontheconspiracy

And I might add, I work for the government, Dept Homeland Security Tech Agent. Still havent ran into any trouble
So it's kind of funny and ironic.

Can't blame you for trying to beat the system. I guess the current system kind of trains us to try and figure out ways to beat it - perhaps because it does seem so unfair.

Wonder how you'll be doing after some people read your posts ...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigshow

But if you get it all back in the form of a tax refund, you have effectively paid nothing. And this is only talking about federal income taxes, not state or local.

we made less than 50k also, didn't take out ourselves even as dependents and somehow not only did we not get a refund but we ended up paying a penalty for the priveledge of them accepting three monthly payments instead of one lump sum...maybe they should start chipping away at the child tax credit, deductions and such, since it appears to me that this would probably be how someone making so much more than we did could skip away without paying anything and we certainly paid!

what if the person doesn't make $5,000 in a year.....how can they pay more in taxes than they made?

[edit on 30-9-2009 by dawnstar]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The article is confusing. In the title, it says

47% will PAY no federal income tax and in the article it states:

In 2009, roughly 47% of households, or 71 million, will not OWE any federal income tax, according to estimates by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center.

Those are 2 different things. When they say they "don't pay" they mean they don't pay additional at the end of the year.

Everyone who works pays state and federal income tax, and they don't get it all back at the end of the year. Whether or not they OWE more at the end of the year is another thing. I believe the title is incorrect. It should be "47% will OWE no federal income tax". Which is the way it's supposed to be. We pay every paycheck so we don't owe a big chunk at the end of the year.

As far as I can see, this is an attack on the lower income and Obama's plans to tax the wealthy.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I am self employed and by such, the government takes 35% right off the top. I am obligated to pay quarterly taxes based on the previous years income. Being self employed, I have no insurance, I have to provide any and all materials at my expense, plus gas........everything. I do get write offs and depreciated values, however, that just does not add up with the expenditures and the IRS is telling me that if I don't make a profit this year, which I know I wont, that they are going to consider my business a hobby. A HOBBY??? Someone can kiss my nether regions if that happens!

I am an interior/ finish carpenter. We all know how the housing industry ended up. I usually travel 30 minutes one way when something is available, in a van carrying a ton of equipment that I supplied myself, maintain myself and have to refurbish myself. I pay my 35% percent.............it doesn't pay me in return.........

Edited for typos

[edit on 30-9-2009 by savageheart]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The article is confusing. In the title, it says

47% will PAY no federal income tax and in the article it states:

Those are 2 different things. When they say they "don't pay" they mean they don't pay additional at the end of the year.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

Unless there are people who PAY taxes even though they don't OWE them, it IS the same thing.

And no, the article is quite clear to mean people that pay no federal taxes period.

Not everything posted is an attack on obama. Suffering from a little "shell shock" are you? Well, you know what they say about staying out of the kitchen if you can't take the heat. I managed to survive over 4 years here during the last Bush administration when you were constantly on the offensive. You haven't even taken it for one year yet. You might try
with the punches.

This thread is truly about everyone contributing if anyone has to contribute and exploring ways that could be done like the flat tax proposal.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

This thread is truly about everyone contributing if anyone has to contribute and exploring ways that could be done like the flat tax proposal.

If it was, then I would have thought that would have been mentioned in your opening post.

We have real live posters who have said that they make 50K or less and that they pay federal income tax. It's real clear to me.

redhatty makes a good point, too. This article is twisted, It doesn't make sense. But if it's what you want to believe, have at it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join