It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advanced Aircraft prototype that may be part of Space protection?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Good day everyone

While looking at Nasa site today I spotted a piece on the X-15 !

www.nasa.gov...

what a fascinating craft for it's time. I never realized that in the 50s there were flights that reached over 300k feet and even achieving weightless state.

This is a craft that was launch via B52 and achieved Hypersonic speed (Mach 6+) the craft even provided very valuable data on atmosphere re entry!

I am really amazed that in the 50s the technology was so far ahead..... makes me really wonder where things are today and the possibility of a Space defense force or even where USA offensive forces fit into this picture.

I can only imagine what advances have been made since the 50s

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Perfect stranger]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I find the the closing statement of the High altitude mission video very interesting as well... referring to the "Conquest of Space"!!!

Hmmmmmmm

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
the wing # is 66617, 666(8) to infinity. lawls. nasa = irony all over the place.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
lol @ the name of the plane dam no better name.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Looking at an old thread, i had forgotten that the x15 pilots experienced mach 5 and weightlessness back then. The mystery plane is surely doing way more now... Very cool interactive mission profile link in OP

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I have a feeling there are several platforms that can make it SSTO that are or have been operational in the US arsenal.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
pardon my ignorance but wasn't that plane the first air-breather to leave the atmosphere or come close to it?

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

Walker piloted the X-15 to an altitude of 107.96 km and remained weightless for approximately five minutes. The altitude was the highest manned flight by a spaceplane to that time and remained the record until the 1981 flight of Space Shuttle Columbia. Walker landed the X-15 about 12 minutes after it was launched, at Rogers Dry Lake, Edwards Airforce Base, in California. This was Walker's final X-15 flight.

Link

The Kármán line, at 100 km (62 mi), or 1.57% of Earth's radius, is often used as the border between the atmosphere and outer space.

Link

Awesome. I wasn't aware.

ETA: I just realized I didn't answer your question. Not sure if I can. I would bet that no, this wasn't the first. Maybe the first successful. Might keep looking for a few minutes to see what I can find.
edit on 1020140820141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

I had to read it again, I think I answered your question, but I don't think I agree with the answer.
edit on 1020140820141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit
pardon my ignorance but wasn't that plane the first air-breather to leave the atmosphere or come close to it?

It was a liquid rocket engine, so no. But also yes, they got their astronaut wings eventually.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Thanks guys

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Perfect stranger I never realized that in the 50s there were flights that reached over 300k feet and even achieving weightless state.

This is a craft that was launch via B52 and achieved Hypersonic speed (Mach 6+) the craft even provided very valuable data on atmosphere re entry!

I am really amazed that in the 50s the technology was so far ahead..... makes me really wonder where things are today and the possibility of a Space defense force or even where USA offensive forces fit into this picture.

I can only imagine what advances have been made since the 50s

Think of the plans for the orbital X-15B, also from the 50's. Essentially an up-sized X-15 with room for a small payload and second crew-member.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

I haven't seen any documentation on? X-15b payload.... Was it planned to be a bomber?

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Perfect stranger

The spaceplane that wasn't.

Have to admit the versions that required the pilots to ditch the plane an land by parachutes sounds like a death trap

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

That was back when crazy was the new normal.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Cool background piece,
Thanks for that

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Have to admit the versions that required the pilots to ditch the plane an land by parachutes sounds like a death trap

Theres crazy and then there is just pilot abuse

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Theres crazy and then there is just pilot abuse

Pilots were a different breed then. They were mission orientated and dedicated to seeing the mission was a success. On a second thought, they are still the same!

top topics

join