It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the Human Race be causing these Earthquakes by extracting Oil?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
We do not drill deep enough to reach the level where most earthquakes happen...as for the oil it is like coal decayed plant matter and no it is not required to lubricate the plates. If there was no life there would be no oil but if the planet still had a rotating core then the plates would continue to move.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

'lusi'

What could have caused this?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

Outstanding ignorance? Ditto, sir.

My gawd!!! As someone else asked, just WHAT are they teaching (or NOT teaching) anymore in today's school systems???

All of this talking, and nobody yet links to actual information, you know....SCIENCE to answer these questions, and shut down the disinfo???

Well...here: AND be sure to read the links from this link, especially about tectonics.....

geology.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Leo Lesqueroux, the father of paleobotany, decided in 1866 that petroleum in Pennsylvania formed from marine algae in Devonian shales much the same way that coal forms from land plants. Later, Anderson and Arnold convincingly argued in a 1907 bulletin of the U.S. Geological Survey that the only possible source for oils from Santa Maria field in California was microscopic fossil plants, called diatoms, found in organic-rich shales of the Miocene Monterey Formation. Another bulletin by Clarke in 1916 demonstrated that the Santa Maria oils were chemically similar to, and therefore undoubtedly derived from, the organic remains of Monterey diatoms.

photomicrograph of a fossil diatomMost geologists today agree that crude oil forms over million of years from the remains of tiny aquatic plants and animals that are exposed to the combined effects of time and temperature. In other words, oil forms from organic matter that is either "cooked" deep within the earth for long periods of time at low temperatures, or "cooked" for short periods of time at high temperatures.

Fossil organic matter is called kerogen, and sulfur-rich kerogens form oil sooner, and at lower temperatures, than other types of organic matter. This is because atomic bonds between carbon and sulfur break much easier than carbon-oxygen bonds. Kerogen in the Monterey Formation, the main oil source rock for Kern County, was deposited in oxygen-deficient, deep-ocean waters that promoted the formation of sulfur. Thus, organic-rich Monterey shales generate oil easier than other oil source rocks. The down side is that sulfur-rich oils are more difficult to refine, and therefore not as valuable, as other oils.

Most crude oil formed from one-celled plants and animals, called plankton, which floated on the surfaces of ancient oceans. As these organisms died, they settled to the ocean floor and were covered with mud. If the mud did not contain enough oxygen for the soft parts of these organisms to decay, then the organic material was converted into kerogen. If enough kerogen remains, it may later be converted into oil.

www.sjgs.com...

[edit on 30-9-2009 by grover]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Induced Seismicity

As defined here, induced seismicity is earthquake activity that is the result of human activity which causes a rate of energy release, or seismicity, which would be expected beyond the normal level of historical seismic activity. For example, if there is already a certain level seismic activity before human activities begin one would expect that this “historical” seismic activity to continue at the same rate in the future. If, however, human activity causes a concurrent increase in seismic activity then one would consider this increase in seismic activity to be induced. In addition, if the seismic activity returns to background activity after the human activity stops then that is another sign that the seismic activity was induced.

Causes of Induced Seismicity

In addition to the subsurface stresses, fluid pressures play a key role in causing seismicity. Explained in simple terms, fluids can play a major role in controlling the pressures that are acting on the faults. The fluid pressure in the pores and fractures of the rocks is called the pore pressure. The pore pressure acts against the weight of the rock and the forces holding the rock together (stresses due to tectonic forces). If the pore pressures are low (especially compared to the forces holding the rock together) then only the imbalance of natural in-situ earth stresses will cause an occasional earthquake. If, however, the pore pressures are increased then it will take less of an imbalance of in-situ stresses to cause an earthquake, thus accelerating earthquake activity.

link

Two drill sites near DFW airport were closed down due to the quakes there

Aug. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Chesapeake Energy Corp. wells drilled through the Barnett Shale, the biggest Texas natural-gas field, may have caused earthquakes in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, the company and university scientists said. Oklahoma City-based Chesapeake shut both wells, used to dispose of saltwater that is a byproduct of gas production, as a precaution after university seismologists told executives June 29 that the center of some quakes lay near the base of one of the wells, Steven Turk, vice president of the company’s southern operations, said in an interview.
link

I have also read of a proven link in Europe but I am not going to try to locate it.

Most of these quakes are smaller and not located near a fault though the one near DFW was located near a fault line.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Release date: 02 September 2009
BP announced today a giant oil discovery at its Tiber Prospect in the deepwater US Gulf of Mexico.

The well, located in Keathley Canyon block 102, approximately 250 miles (400 kilometres) south east of Houston, is in 4,132 feet (1,259 metres) of water. The Tiber well was drilled to a total depth of approximately 35,055 feet (10,685 metres) making it one of the deepest wells ever drilled by the oil and gas industry. The well found oil in multiple Lower Tertiary reservoirs. Appraisal will be required to determine the size and commerciality of the discovery.

www.bp.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I have just provided two quotes proving my comments.

So what part is outstanding ignorance?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

You forgot to cite your source...here you go: www.sjgs.com...

From the quote, do you notice the absence of absolution and they use terms like 'Aristotle believed...', 'Two theories on the origin of petroleum..', 'Agricola, a German physician who agreed...', 'Leo Lesqueroux, the father of paleobotany, decided...', 'Most geologists today agree...'

Basically, it seems to me that there are speculative and subjective ideologies about the origin of oil and without any doubt, i can say with certainty we both may never truly know what happened a millennium ago deep within the Earth's crust, to create the devils tears that now fuels many a modern war.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Firstly grover, accept my apologies for my knee-jerk post. Twas petulant of me and i could of worded it far more politely.

My initial gut reaction to your post, was this:

...as for the oil it is like coal decayed plant matter and no it is not required to lubricate the plates. If there was no life there would be no oil but if the planet still had a rotating core then the plates would continue to move.

Do you care to back up that claim, as it seems very 'wet-finger-in-air-' conjecture. How can you say with certainty that oil only exists from life and plates would still move.

I have to disagree. If there was no life, there would still be oil and the plates would still move, regardless of fossilised past life. I can't prove this also, so quid pro quo.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I am not interested in what Aristotle said... I am more interested in what current thought in the matter is.

The same process that makes coal makes oil...organic matter under pressure.

As for depths of oil if one of the deepest well in the world is around 5 miles then ergo most oil comes from shallower reserves than that.

As for the depth of earthquakes:

About 90% of all earthquakes have depths < 100 km. Earthquakes can be grouped into three categories based on the depth of their foci:

1. Shallow focus - Foci are less than 70 km depth. Most destructive earthquakes.
2. Intermediate focus - Foci are between 70 and 300 km depth.
3. Deep focus - Foci are greater than 300 km.

70 km comes out to 37.80 miles...100 km =54 miles...300 km=161.99 miles...

www.geo.ua.edu...

Therefore if the deepest wells are around 5 miles and most quakes happen between 37 and 161 miles then drilling is too shallow to cause earthquakes.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by grover]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I'm finding the info on DFW area, especially close to airport, rather interesting, especially if one is to keep rumours of a underground base or area having been constructed underneath.

Is all the drilling a cover? Most residents a world over complain of shaking and vibration whilst tunnels are being made.

Interesting idea OP and one with merit I believe.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
What earthquakes? We seem to be getting the same levels as is normal on a planet with a liquid magma core and ongoing geothermal activity, plate tectonics etc.
But in answer to the question I'm not sure if extracting oil and water from deep down would have an effect on tectonic activity, any geologists out there with an opinion?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

You make a very valid point as there doesn't seem to be any correlation between drill depth (average ~5,000ft) and earthquakes (between 37 and 161 miles).

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/169395afa98d.jpg[/atsimg]
Source

I thought the reserves themselves would be deep enough and the drill tip would only be plunging the top of the 'oil lake', but no reserve will ever be deep enough to warrant any correlation between drilling and quakes.

However, i remember my geography teacher many moons ago telling us how London will be submerged into the sea from a process called isostatic recovery. During the ice age, Scotland was covered with glaciers and over the 2.4million period, the crust would have been pushed down due the crushing effect of the ice above. As the glaciers retreated, Scotland would slowly bounce back and much like a see-saw motion, the southern part of the exposed crust (England) will eventually settle back down into the sea, more so as sea levels rise.

So in response to the OP - man will inevitably create earthquakes, as we drill & burn oil, we will contribute to the greenhouse gas effect. On a bigger scale than Scotland, the Arctic / Antarctic ice shelves will then eventually rise as the ice above melts thus causing a man-made shift of plates

[edit on 30-9-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The Pentagon's HAARP program can cause earthquakes, Auroras, etc. It's a nasty weather modification project that can also be used as a weapon.

I doubt they look for oil though. I dont think the laser beam would go down that far but maybe?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Just an interesting graph I thought fit well in this thread.

independencejournal.com...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Well, i mentioned isostatic movement in a previous post, however, what also you have to take into account is the dissolved gasses at high pressure that, once the captive seal is breached, forces the gas up to atmospheric pressure, sometines explosively. And, if those gasses draw up up magma, and if this magma comes into contact with a body of water, the difference in temprature would be even more explosive! That scenerio happens at the junction of oceanic plate meeting a lower density continental plate (subduction zone), and is why there is seismic activity and active volcanoes in abundance in these places. The ring of fire in the pacific being an example..
However the current spate of high magnitude earthquakes are indicative of either that isostatic movement, or a gravitational interaction from an extra earth body in space. Remember, all of the recent high mag earthquakes have been in the southern hemisphere, in roughly the same place. One particular quake lasted for 10 minuets! That doesnt happen, most quakes last for a few seconds. It would have to be caused by an outside source. Either a body in space which is comming up from the southern part of the earth, and gravitational pull is interacting with the earths crust, or something un natural, like HAARP doing a weapons test, using ELF to disrupt the local rock, causing plate failure. Funny how earthquakes have increased since its inception! And the fact that the epicentre is always in the ocean, away from the majority of population.

[edit on 083030p://f31Wednesday by Selahobed]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

Sorry about the double reference to isostatic recovery; i didn't read past your first paragraph as i find the whole concept of dead animals providing trillions of barrels of oil nonsensical, but that's not relevant to the OP.

I liked your last post about activity though. Is Niribu on it's way

My FireFox eQuake alert plug-in, seems to going mad as it shakes the browser with continual 5.0mag quakes. I only installed it two days ago, so can't gauge any trend.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Look, I guess I have to say this again; our twin star, Nemesis, is returning now. On a 3,600 year orbit. A dim star. And as it approaches, it is causing weather changes in ALL the planets in our system, and on our sun. Do a little research on it. That is why some of the planets now have remarkably different light levels shining on Earth. Their reflection changed. We are not near running out of oil. They just want you to believe that so we will pay more for it, and support their wars so they can profit from weaponry. And some 'people' don't want you to burn any anyways, so they also support the lies. IT'S NOT TRUE, most of all you hear. Brace yourself, the older you get, the more you will see that people are incredibly dishonest.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

5 mag quakes happen all of the time. The lithosphere (crust) is not static. As the earths core spins, this creates convection currents in the earths mantle. This has a conveyer belt like effect on the the lithisphere, creating the movement of the plates which is usually quite uniform in the way that each tectonic plate moves in relation to the others. However, just of late, specifically in the southern hemisphere pacific area, the activity is very unusual.
It is almost as if there is an extra planetary object that is excerting it gravitational influence on that specific wide area. It could also so be a part of the earths natural cycle that we humans havent been around long enough to log before. However, i am more inclined towards isostatic movemovement (remote chance), extra gravitational interaction (i hasten to add quite likely), or anthroprogenc activity in the form of HAARP (more likely), considering, that we dont only have to take the quakes themselves into account, but marine animals who have seemingly commited mass suicide because their sensitivity to the the earths magnetic field as been screwed with. That can also be caused by extra earth bodies, and by humans playing with stuff they shouldnt. Any interaction with the earths crust disrupts the local magnetic field of an area affected, so either two could be the culprit.

[edit on 093030p://f24Wednesday by Selahobed]

[edit on 093030p://f26Wednesday by Selahobed]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join