It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music and its part in your relationships

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I just watched "Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist" and it was cute and made me think a little...... When you get into a relationship does the persons musical preference play a part in whether or not you think your relationship will work out or get along??? For me the person I am with HAS to have the same musical interests as me otherwise it just doesnt work for me... I know this sounds weird but music is a big part of my life and if you have no love of music then it wont work. I feel the same way about art too..If you dont like art or you think it's stupid and a waste then it really wont work esp when I come from a family or musicians and artists
So how do you guys/gals feel about this. Is musical preference important in your partner??

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I feel quite similar i guess.
I've been told it's quite shallow and judgemental (not by partners, but friends) to think/feel like that but i just do.

If a girl loves the backstreet boys, take-that, ricky martin and so on... i probably wouldn't even be interested.

And for me, it goes beyond the "similar interests" thing...., like walks, food, books, political opinions and so on.

But then again... a girl could have the crappest taste in music but be the absolute loveliest person and love all the same movies and everything else i did...then i probably would be willing to try.

I just generally find that someone with really awful taste in music is usually not on my wavelength and their movie taste and so-on are usually pretty bad too.

But then even reading what I've just written... it sounds really harsh, really shallow and judgemental..

Oh well....

[edit on 30/9/09 by blupblup]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

My bf and I have similar tastes in music and we have the opposite at the same time. He is a HUGE Elvis fan and well I never really liked Elvis until I met my bf
I guess as long as the person has a love of music or more like an appreciation for music then its fine and then the differences wont really matter. I listen to pretty much everything but rap and my ex was REALLY into rap and it just drove me insane. I respected his music choice but he didnt respect mine and think that really is what bothered me. I must say a few guys I have dated intoduced me to some of my favorite artists
I have always liked to date musicians so maybe thats why I have musical preferences on my list when it comes to dating
lol

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Yeah i hear what your saying.
I guess as long as they're mad about music then it's cool..

Elvis is the man

But yeah.... I've met people and said "what kinda music are you in to?" and they're like... "i don't listen to much music" or "whatever's on the radio"

AARRRGGGGHHHHHH

But i love Art in general, so as long as they're mad about films, books, music or some form of media or even traditional art....then it's all good.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Yup thats about how I feel...

Yeah my bf has Elvis tattooed on his back and he rock the big side burns too which are very sexy IMO

It always boggles my mind when someone doesnt have a favorite artist or one that they like most. IDK I guess I just realllly like music.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I am weak, just recently I found myself listening to American guitar shmarmy singers....sigh
Take me and away and lock me up Guvner, I is guilty as charged.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

No, no. It doesn't sound shallow at all. We shouldn't be ashamed of or hide who we are. I"m the same way.

The first time I went to my now ex-husbands home (he was cooking dinner for me); when I walked in I was delighted to see the scene was set.

Dinner set on a beautiful table. Wine. He had gone to a lot of trouble, and I was sooo delighted to take note. Then.....I heard this really sexy, quiet jazz going on in the background. I was pretty close to the line anyway, but yes, the music pushed me on over..............

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Well, yes and no. No, because I tolerate all music and so whatever you are listening to, I can bear it. Seriously, I've gone from listening to nice, smooth Jazz to 3-chords punk to the screeching vocals and cheesy Satanic lyrics of black metal to the annoyance of rap (I prefer rap in the early years) to pop to even creepy Christian music that have a cult-like appeal to it. I personally like metal but also New Age and Middle Eastern music.

Since I can tolerate any kind of music, I think what matters most to me is that my partner likes my music because I tend to switch a lot from different types of metal (grunge, melodic death, gothenburg, classics etc.) to world music to instrumental music etc. In a nutshell, be open-minded.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
It is important yes, I would hate to be with a girl who is into all the rubbish that's popular nowadays, especially R'n'B and the like
I detest the stuff.

You can tell alot about a person from there taste in music

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
[more

Dinner set on a beautiful table. Wine. He had gone to a lot of trouble, and I was sooo delighted to take note. Then.....I heard this really sexy, quiet jazz going on in the background. I was pretty close to the line anyway, but yes, the music pushed me on over..............

Fair enough....ok, I'm not shallow.

I feel better now, thanks

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Omg, yes!
If he likes country music I'd kick his horse lovin' , truck drivin',budweiser drinkin', wang twang country slang butt to the curb.
*shivers like Sideshow Bob.
I love 80's music, and a lot of current stuff.
Rock, alternative, hip hop,death metal.
If he can't keep up with me, he's toast.
Most recent fav songs are these two...and yeah, I'm old-er..hahaha...

This band is cool, a mix of genres.
www.youtube.com...

And a friend suggested this song..I hate anime, but the music is killer...
www.youtube.com...
edit to add..
I despise, the beatles, the stones, and elvis...
sorry Chissler...:shk:

[edit on 30-9-2009 by AccessDenied]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Omg, yes!
If he likes country music I'd kick his horse lovin' , truck drivin',budweiser drinkin', wang twang country slang butt to the curb.
*shivers like Sideshow Bob.
I love 80's music, and a lot of current stuff.
Rock, alternative, hip hop,death metal.
If he can't keep up with me, he's toast.
Most recent fav songs are these two...and yeah, I'm old-er..hahaha...

This band is cool, a mix of genres.
www.youtube.com...

And a friend suggested this song..I hate anime, but the music is killer...
www.youtube.com...
edit to add..

LOL I actually like country and I dont mind Elvis thanks to my man
I however CANT stand U2~thats right I said it! I dont like them at all and I never have. That Bono annoys me to death!
My bf will sing in the shower everyday and I love listening to him..lol He sings old stuff that my grandparents would know but he loves it...He even sings Elvis and he loves to do karaoke! God we are perfect for each other...lol I have always wanted a guy who liked karaoke because I love having a few drinks and singing to various oldies! Although when I did sing with him I wasnt even able to look at him. I was so nervous but it was hilarious!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I however CANT stand U2~thats right I said it! I dont like them at all and I never have. That Bono annoys me to death!

Woooooooo

Me neither... HATE them.... a couple of song have been good but can't stand his voice...and he has always reminded me of Zed

www.youtube.com...

It's the voice.

Oh and Coldplay SUCK too.... Yep, you heard right.
They suck..

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Agreed, U2 and Coldplay....
both bands DRAW AIR.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

All I have to say to this is,

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

OK, this might sound weird but I associate people with music.

Quite often I find that when reading a post, I have a type of music playing in my head that changes when I move on to someone else.

Sometimes they are funny little ditty's, and sometimes they are just a certain type of music. Now there are some who I am sure would be offended if I told them what I associate with them, so I generally keep these songs to myself.

But because of your previous avatar, there is one song that usually plays rather loudly in my head when I am reading your post's. And yes, it's an 80's song..

Now I hope that I don't start getting french songs with your new avatar as I kinda like this song for you.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder

All I have to say to this is,

Thanks ya'll..ACK!!!! Stupid...*grumble .
Know what happens when you play country music backwards? You get your wife back, your horse back, your truck back...

Tribe, I traveled to your city once, just once, to see my fav band of all time..the very last time they played there.
DEF LEPPARD.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

As a semi-pro musician, I have had more than one relationship destroyed by music. Not the music per se but the lifestyle. It recently almost happened again so I have decided to give up the stage and performing with my band. This relationship is more precious than the ego boost I get from playing in bars, parties and festivals.

I know this isn't about the actual subject but I needed to share this.

My GF is a huge NIN fan and that type of music. Me....not so much!!!!
She is quite a bit younger than myself.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

My GF is a huge NIN fan and that type of music. Me....not so much!!!!
She is quite a bit younger than myself.

RAWR! go get her tiger!...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Great Thread

With me and my wife it's both ways.

We have similar interests in music for music in the 70's and 80's.

If it's 90's and newer, she likes quite a bit of it and I can pretty much do without it, with the exception of a few.

Thats what's great about it though, she listens to the newer music and if she hears one that she thinks I'll like, she lets me know, same goes for me, If I run across an oldie that she hasn't heard, I can turn her on to it.

Now for our relationship of nearly 13 years, on my side yeah music plays a decent part in it. Depending on my mood, when thinking about her, I'll listen to certain songs, or a certain type of music.

I don't know if she does or not. At least she doesn't do it at home when I'm around.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join