Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Right vs. Left -- Which Side Are You On?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by johnny2127

Like I said at the beginning of the thread that I am in favor of a small, strong, effective government but I understand that it is not the programs that need to be cut but the bureaucracy administering them.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by grover]

Cutting the bureaucracy from govt is like trying to remove the boobs from Hooters business plan. In other words, not possible......

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by BigDaveJr

so you were slightly up and right on that chart?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnny2127

so you were slightly up and right on that chart?

I was slightly up from the middle line and to the right.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

That about where you thought you'd be? I figured you'd be more libertarian from what you were saying about being far right conservative. Or are you not a big believer in small govt?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I'm less conservative about Gov't issues that Social issues. I think I favored the Gov't in a couple of questions(I forgot which)

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Gore and company did a good job of it in the 90's...if the administration (no matter what party) made it a matter of policy to cut the bureaucracy every decade we might be able to get a handle on it.

I have been a clerk in the military and I know how that bureaucracy worked and I have worked with an advocacy for the poor and I know how the state (of Maine) bureaucracy worked...and I have also been a teacher's aid and in every one there were too many layers between the here's and there's.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Gore and company did a good job of it in the 90's...if the administration (no matter what party) made it a matter of policy to cut the bureaucracy every decade we might be able to get a handle on it.

I have been a clerk in the military and I know how that bureaucracy worked and I have worked with an advocacy for the poor and I know how the state (of Maine) bureaucracy worked...and I have also been a teacher's aid and in every one there were too many layers between the here's and there's.

Ahhh, and see here is the debate. Someone like me will view what you mentioned in the 90's as being a result of the conservative "Contract with America". Most of the items that Clinton claims as accomplishments were in fact Republican legislation. However, Clinton did sign these bills and work with Republicans on them, so he does deserve some credit. However, I do think its important to note that what you mentioned had its genesis in conservatives.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Gore's assignment to trim down government predated the contract on America.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Gore's assignment to trim down government predated the contract on America.

And yet it wasn't his legislation.......

Every candidate pledges to trim govt and make it more efficient. The legislation did not come from Gore.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This, IMO, explains it all ...

Subject: Why I voted Democrat

I voted Democrat because
I believe oil companies' profits of 4% on a gallon of gas are
obscene but the government taxing the same gallon of gas
at 15% isn't.

I voted Democrat because
I believe the government will do a better job of
spending the money I earn than I would.

I voted Democrat because
Freedom of speech is fine as long as nobody is offended by it.

I voted Democrat because
When we pull out of Iraq I trust that the bad guys will stop what
they are doing because they now think we are good people..

I voted Democrat because
I'm way too irresponsible to own a gun, and I know that my local
police are all I need to protect me from murderers and thieves.

I voted Democrat because
I believe that people who can't tell us if it will rain on Friday can
tell us that the polar ice caps will melt away in ten years if
I don't start driving a Prius.

I voted Democrat because
I'm not concerned about the slaughter of millions of babies so long
as we keep all death row inmates alive.

I voted Democrat because
I think illegal aliens have a right to free health care,
education, and Social Security benefits.

I voted Democrat because
I believe that business should not be allowed to make profits for
themselves. They need to break even and give the rest away to
the government for redistribution as the democrats see fit.

I voted Democrat because
I believe liberal judges need to rewrite The Constitution every few
days to suit some fringe kooks who would never get their agendas
past the voters.

I posted this because I really think it helps define the difference in philosophy between those on the right and on the left.

[edit on 10/2/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Now Centurion you are smarter than that...the post is chock full of simplifications and generalizations...for every Democrat who actually believes that way you will find a dozen who don't...which is what this thread is about...finding the themes and ideals that unite us...

though as a dialogue its failed.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Why do Illegal aliens deserve medical benefits? They don't even belong here and I don't want to pay for their insurance!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigDaveJr

Why do Illegal aliens deserve medical benefits? They don't even belong here and I don't want to pay for their insurance!

yup...and american liberals who can't get health care...just let them die...and gay people who get hiv/aids...just let them die...and old people that can't get coverage from their own insurance...just let them die... and women who get back alley abortions, because all the abortion doctors in that area have been shot and killed...just let them die...and the homeless who live in the streets...just let them die. america is only for the wealthy republicans and religous conservatives...all others get the hell out or die

[edit on 2-10-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

We need to close our borders(Even if it means using the Military) or it could result soon in the destruction of our Country.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigDaveJr

Read any of my other posts. This is the opposite of what I believe in. It was meant as an educational tool for those that don't know or understand how the typical liberal thinks. No doubt, many of them right now are saying to themselves, "What's wrong with any of these?"

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Ok,thanks for clearing that up!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Now Centurion you are smarter than that...the post is chock full of simplifications and generalizations...

Exactly.

Because simplifications and generalizations work best for people that feel rather than think. You know what I mean by that. Ask a liberal their opinion on an issue and many will begin their answer with, "I feel ...", while many conservatives will begin their answers with, "I think ...". It's a fundamental difference between the two philosophies.

Don't believe me on this? Try it on yourselves and then others ...

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Now Centurion you are smarter than that...the post is chock full of simplifications and generalizations...

Exactly.

Because simplifications and generalizations work best for people that feel rather than think. You know what I mean by that. Ask a liberal their opinion on an issue and many will begin their answer with, "I feel ...", while many conservatives will begin their answers with, "I think ...". It's a fundamental difference between the two philosophies.

Don't believe me on this? Try it on yourselves and then others ...

Speaking from experience I can tell you that is not true of anyone I know. I've discussed politics with many friends and colleagues who are both right and left (as well as Independent and Libertarian) and NO one I know says "I feel....". It's always "I think...." no matter the political affiliation.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion65

Lucky you to have such intellectual friends.

We now have a sample size of exactly one.

We'll need quite a few more tests to establish the trend I think we'll see.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
There is no such thing as a typical anything...especially in the political spectrum.

I come to my political views from reasoning...and feeling. They are rooted as much in my intellect as my emotion...my faith and my education.

No one is a gross generality.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by grover]

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join