It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right vs. Left -- Which Side Are You On?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Right vs. Left -- Which Side Are You On?

Neither. They both suck. I'm on the side of AMERICA.
That means I'm not for either of the 'ruling' parties at this time period.
The left calls the right 'facist' but I see more facism on the left then the right.
The far right holds their version of God as their standard, but I don't think they know who God really is.

CIA plant my ample ass.

That's why I love ya' so much grover ... you are a colorful character.

edited because I still can't see the screen very well ...

[edit on 9/30/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I don't believe we should be labeling ourselves as right or left on any given issue.

Simply because one basic outlook on a problem or situation will simply not do. There is never going to be one side who has a better idea that the other.

However, if you put both those ideas together and attempt to compromise, as our government should, then the system works pretty well. It's when we have two sides who are only looking out for themselves, instead of everybody that the problem exists.

I myself am a Libertarian at heart, however I have some conservative values as well. I often find myself torn between a plan thrown by Republicans and that of Democrats, because I like things in both plans.

The problem is the final bill will usually be written in favor of one side or another, this is a failure of the system.

Labels are what got us into this problem anyway. Division will only lead to fighting which leads to corruption which in turn leads to more division among ourselves.

We need to unify and start working for each other, instead of for ourselves.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ninecrimes

Its been moved now. Happy?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Edited... post removed by poster because I don't argue with children.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by uaocteaou]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I made no personal attacks on you - as you have done. I did not question your intelligence, I merely questioned your choice of avatar vis a vis what seems to be your political philosophy. It is your reaction to that that shows an over sensitivity.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I don't know how this is breaking news. Mods can move the thread if they like, so its not really an important question to me. Threads are moved all the time.

I don't see 'right' and 'left' as 'us versus them' sort of rhetoric. I think many times people have beliefs that fall on both left and right sides of the spectrum. And even if someone thinks the opposite of you, there is no reason to see them as the enemy. I have many friends where we belief the exact opposite politically. But we are still friends...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by uaocteaou

So that I do not make any assumptions about your Avatar, can I ask you what it is all about in the context that you put it in there? Thanks.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Those are about as simplistic answers that you can get for the left/right divide. By those standards I am definitely to the left.

By every standard of the name you are a lefty. You are so far to the left you think the center is the right.

If there were two sides, which there isn't anymore, I would be a conservative.

But since there isn't a side anymore I have taken the role of spectator. Its a lot of fun and I can vote for whoever I want no matter what party they belong to.

Wonder when the last time you grover voted for a Republican for anything?

By the way that was a rhetorical question. I don't expect a truthful answer from you so no answer is required.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Its been moved now. Happy?

I'm happy that this anti-American banter-fest has been moved to a place where not many shall be infected by it's pettiness.

Yes, I am slightly happier.

Though, I'm still feeling pretty disgusted with your disgusting attitude and your separatist fallacies.

"Left or Right" = "Us or them" mentality. So long as it exists, we'll have you non-intellects gathering in separate rooms (left or right), with their own agendas. Only after we shake ourselves of these labels, can we all simply exist together and work together as a team, as Americans.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel my opinion is just as valid as yours. The only difference between you and myself is that I have the capability to make a point without using cuss words and childish retorts to do so. Maybe you should try it sometime, as to make yourself look a little less ignorant.

Deny ignorance.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Whoever you vote for the government gets in.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

There is nothing anti American about this thread and if you think there is then you totally misunderstand (willfully or out of just plain ignorance) what the intent was and since I have restated it several times I can only assume it is willful.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

There is nothing anti American about this thread and if you think there is then you totally misunderstand (willfully or out of just plain ignorance) what the intent was and since I have restated it several times I can only assume it is willful.

Yes, it's willful. I am not an idiot.

If I said "You are ugly, but I do not judge people by looks" would you believe me?

You are saying "This is not meant to divide us, but which label do you belong to?".

I don't believe you.

It's not a matter of ignorance. Quite the contrary, it's a matter of simple logic.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
PS- your signature really speaks volumes for your character:

"I have met many intelligent and thoughtful conservatives...I cannot say the same of the right wing."

Are you trying to tell me that you do not believe in partisanship?

Yesterday you went on about a "vast right wing conspiracy", then today you ask everyone on ATS to publicly identify themselves as "right" or "left".

Yeah- you sound very legitimate. (sarcasm)

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninecrimes
You are saying "This is not meant to divide us, but which label do you belong to?".

Did you even read the OP or what I have repeatedly stated that if we compare what we believe makes us one or the other we will find we have far more in common than one would generally assume?

[edit on 30-9-2009 by grover]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Some people.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninecrimes

Did you even read the OP or what I have repeatedly stated that if we compare what we believe makes us one or the other we will find we have far more in common than one would generally assume?

[edit on 30-9-2009 by grover]

Are you purposely clipping little pieces out of my posts and answering the conveniently easy questions, whilst totally ignoring the questions of substance?

If you were interested in sharing political ideologies, you would have given a list of topics and asked for everyone's opinions. However, you did not do that. Instead, you ask the direct question of "which side are you on".

By asking that question, you are admitting to having separatist ideaologies.

I ask you again:

If I told you "you are ugly, but I don't judge people by their looks", would you feel like I was judging your looks? Or would you just take my word for the fact that appearance is not of interest to me?

When you say "I am not trying to divide", but then proceed to ask "left or right"... you are just coming off as a LIAR to me.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Time to chill, folks. Don't allow this topic to devolve into personal attacks.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I am just curious, how does he asking a question of wether you are right wing or left wing make him a seperatist?

I only ask because I could ask the question do you believe in heaven or hell, and not believe in either. It could simply be an opinion question on the part of the OP.

I am just looking for clarification on your statement. Other wise, I pretty much agree with the both of you, you both make valid points in your argument.

~Keeper

[edit on 9/30/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I personally think it would be ignorant to fall into the Hegelian Right vs Left trap & scam by TPTB.

Thesis - Antithesis - Synthesis - has only one purpose, and that is to divide & control the people.

Peace!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

I am just curious, how does he asking a question of wether you are right wing or left wing make him a seperatist?

I only ask because I could ask the question do you believe in heaven or hell, and not believe in either. It could simply be an opinion question on the part of the OP.

I am just looking for clarification on your statement. Other wise, I pretty much agree with the both of you, you both make valid points in your argument.

~Keeper

[edit on 9/30/2009 by tothetenthpower]

I don't really know how to compare "left and right" to "heaven and hell".

But to clarify on how asking "left or right" makes a person separatist:

There are millions of political "topics", which everyone has their own opinion in regards to. For anyone to sum a person up as being "left or right" is complete and utter poppycock. It is common knowledge that "left and right" was invented to provide Americans with a "party" to belong to. Without fitting into some nice, clean little mold, how could any of us debate one another? How could we get anything done?

I am against that reasoning. It is of my opinion that once we shake these false labels, we can once again return to being "Americans" together, instead of a separatist society, always taking turns to shoot down the other side. Right now, if a democrat is elected into office- the next republican to take office will work hard to repeal much of the democrats hard work. If we had no groups, just Americans, we could focus on what really matters- America. Not the left, not the right... but right and wrong.

By applying a label to yourself, you are only complimenting the machine that's taken the true America away from us.

By applying labels to others, or encouraging others to label themselves, you are only exposing yourself as one of two things (or both): an idiot, or an anti-American.

That's my opinion, but I know that I am not alone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join