It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sixhundredsixtysix, not six six six

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The "666" may be a later copying error. In the oldest fragment of that chapter, it's "616": en.wikipedia.org...

616 does translate in Hebrew gemantria to "Nero Caesar".

As a number, it's mathematically interesting (but not mystically significant in math. There are other numbers that are far more interesting: en.wikipedia.org...(number) )

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
The "666" may be a later copying error. In the oldest fragment of that chapter, it's "616": en.wikipedia.org...

As a number, it's mathematically interesting (but not mystically significant in math.

Well.... the '666' vs. '616' may not be any error or copying error at all,

i recall that immediately before the number identification/sequence...

scripture states 'Here is wisdom. Let him who hath understanding: count the number of the beast; for it is the number of a man... Rev. 13:18

so, since "not One Jot or Tittle of the scripture should be changed" by Torah Law...this 'difference' in the numbers of the beasts name was deliberate! Someone should try to decipher the layers of meaning between 616 & the later 666.

ideas anyone ?

[edit on 4-10-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

The children of Adonikam, six hundred sixty and six.
Ezra 2:13

Adonikam was a noble who was sent from Babylon to Jerusalem to rebuild the Temple under Zerubabbel. (Another Temple building Mason!)

The sons of Adonikam brought in the ministers, or "men of understanding" to oversee the various temples built in Solomons kingdom. None of them were Levites. Apparently, they were all "false priests"---so nothing new here and it continues so today.

-------------------

Now the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred threescore and six talents of gold,
1 Kings 10:14

$666 was an exorbitant amount of wages for such a small kingdom. Solomon was not as wise as he was shrewd. His empire was built on the industry of religion. His many wives were all from different countries and religious backgrounds, which cemeted diplomatic relations and brought many foreigners to journey there. His various temples brought in a lot of business from all over that part of the world.

---------------------

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.
Revelation 13:18

Perhaps this is symbolic of a temple built of handshakes rather than stones.

666 is only referenced in association with 3 entities:
Solomon, Adonikam's sons, and the Antichrist.
666 is also a TRIANGULAR number.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Hi ChristianPatrick--

It's hard to say what the original compilers of the Apocalypse of Yohanon the Levite (whoever he was) aka the Book of Revelation always meant when they wrote--first of all because 95% of all the verses in the mangled Greek of the book are excerpted from older Hebrew writings and re-deployed for his/their own use at the time they were wrtiting

(e.g. esp the Aramaic targums of Proto and Trito Isaiah, the Targums of Daniel, Jeremiah and Hezekiel esp chapter 39 and 40-44, the Tamid Daily 2nd Temple Pslams, the War Scroll and The Testament of Moses, as well as Malachi, Joel and the Plagues of Exodus, etc.) and 2nd is that we only have very very very few mangled Greek MSS to work with, all expressed in impossibly bad Greek (although most of the constructions make perfect sense in Aramaic--so we are clearly dealing with a translation of an Aramaic-Hebrew original or we are dealing with someone/group who was not too proficient in Greek or both)

The Roman historian Tacitus (Annals 15:29) states that Nero demanded obeissance 'as a god' after the defeat of Tiridades by Corbulo. Partians and Romans used to place a gold statue of Nero between their standards, which also showed his head, and sacrifices were made to them: also Tiridadas was forced to remove his golden crown and place it atop one of Nero's effigies--which were everywhere just as previously under the 'divine' emperor Tiberius who was worhipped as a god during his lifetime and even had temples dedicated to him: shields of his 'image and his inscription' affixed to the Temple in Jerusalem around AD 30-31, to the horror of the Judaeans who protested against this with a massive Pharasiac hunger strike in front of the walls...

Here the 'Mark (Greek: Charagma, 'Graven image or Idol') of the beast' may simply CONTRAST with the 'seal of the 144,000 saved by the blood of the lamb' with the name on the forehead being symbolic, not a physical brand...necessarily.

An Aramaic fragment from Qumran (among the Dead Sea Scrolls) at Wadi Murabba'at (DJD II:18 plate 29) from 'the 2nd year of the Reigning Emperor Nero' where the name is actually spelled NRWN QSR (=the Hebrew Gemmatria - aleph = 1, beth = 2 etc. would be 666 for NRWN QSR specifically) so at least we know that in SOME PLACES, the spellig NRWN QSR was actually used among Judaeans during the Jewish War of AD 66-72, the time of the compiling of the Apocalypse/Book of Revelation.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
And I always thought it was 3 circles with 6 marks each , SMH.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Hehe. I used to be a designer before I dug into esoteria, math, language and the Bible and turned crazy about ten years ago.

Three circles you say? Draw three circles as close, but uniformly as you get in a cluster, and draw a circle around it. That would be a simple, but profound logo for the Boogyman. You get three sixes in a row(nd), easilly discerned as 666, and I bet you get some interesting math out of it too, like what is the area of the grand circle minus the area's of the three inscribed circles? 2/3rds?

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sigismundus

Just thought I'd add something not very many are aware of. Having a mark on one's forehead and hand is mentioned (and explained) several times in the Old Testament or Tannakh:

Exodus 13:9 This observance will be for you like a sign on your hand and a reminder on your forehead that the law of the Lord is to be on your lips. For the Lord brought you out of Egypt with his mighty hand.

Exodus 13:16 And it will be like a sign on your hand and a symbol on your forehead that the Lord brought us out of Egypt with his mighty hand."

Deuteronomy 6:8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.

Deuteronomy 11:18 Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.

Got it?

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Hi Neo Christian--

Pursuant to the Mosaic Torah commands to 'bind' the words of the Torah across the forehead and on the arm of the 'righteous' believer, Orthodox Rabinnic Judaeism today places the phylacteries on the LEFT hand (wrapped around the wrist up the forearm, not the RIGHT hand which is what the Apocalypse specifically says)---which might indicate that the writer of the Apocalypse of Yohnanon (whoever he was...) had indicated a REVERSAL procedure for the Followers of the Beast i.e. a reversal of the 'righteous' phylactery method of placement on the body for the 'unrighteous ones in the Last Days...'

Interestingly, Mithraic branding was on the right hand and on the face, and Nero Caesar (NRWN QSR) was a Mithraist--and there are many other covert but seemingly anti-Mithraic comments/passages/references in the Apocalypse...especially when referring to the 'wicked ones' who 'follow the Beast'...

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neo Christian Mystic
reply to post by Sigismundus

Just thought I'd add something not very many are aware of. Having a mark on one's forehead and hand is mentioned (and explained) several times in the Old Testament or Tannakh:

Exodus 13:9 This observance will be for you like a sign on your hand and a reminder on your forehead that the law of the Lord is to be on your lips. For the Lord brought you out of Egypt with his mighty hand.

Exodus 13:16 And it will be like a sign on your hand and a symbol on your forehead that the Lord brought us out of Egypt with his mighty hand."

Deuteronomy 6:8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.

Deuteronomy 11:18 Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.

Got it?

Yeah. Once again my own two cents is that scripture interprets scripture.
i.e. when examining the visions of Revelation (including the 666 discussion here) we should look back into the OT for ideas on what words meant e.g. the 'mark' upon men, and what it connotated.
Rather than going outside the bible for understanding, the answers would be within the bible.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
What I meant with my quotations, wasn't in any way to associate the Torah law with the law of the Beast. But the semantic meaning, seen in Biblical light, should be to always have the law in mind (forehead), and conceously acting it out in the physical world (hand). Mind and Matter. Looking at Shemittic languages, they are all written from right to left, making it easier to write with your left hand. Modern Hebrew is designed to be "painted" using a brush and ink, much like Mandarin (Chinese), or typically with a reed stylus with ink. Just think what a mess you'd make using wet ink and continue writing towards the left with your right hand, you'd smear it out on the medium with the part of your palm called Hypothenar in Lati, the muscular part of the palm stretching from the base of your pinky finger to the wrist. Hebrew and Arabic is easier to write with your left hand. I have no idea whether Jews and Arabs learn to write with their left hands. Anyone?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join