It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State to mom: Stop baby-sitting neighbors' kids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Each day before the school bus comes to pick up the neighborhood's children, Lisa Snyder did a favor for three of her fellow moms, welcoming their children into her home for about an hour before they left for school.

Regulators who oversee child care, however, don't see it as charity. Days after the start of the new school year, Snyder received a letter from the Michigan Department of Human Services warning her that if she continued, she'd be violating a law aimed at the operators of unlicensed day care centers.

news.yahoo.com...

Well this is obvious government intrusion. I wonder if Ms. Snyder wonders who turned her in. Who ratted on this woman? One of the neighbors without children perhaps?

Unemployment is extremely high and getting higher, and the government does all it can to cripple those trying to survive.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

the state wants to run and control everything

when are people going to wake up and see the big picture?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
reply to post by Jessicamsa

the state wants to run and control everything

when are people going to wake up and see the big picture?

Did you read the article?

The situation was quickly rectified

It really bugs me when people start hyperventilating for no reason whatsoever and scream conspiracy when there is not one.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
It goes alot deeper than that and the way the law in Michigan was read by the social services, as this lady found out, if parents dropped their children off for say a play date, or a birthday party, or any other social event and that parent left, the house that the event was being held at, the owners/occupants would be in violation of the law and guilty of running a daycare without permits. I believe that the state officials were not aware of the nature of the law that they were enacting. I do think the lady was correct in allowing the children into her home, as she pointed out, in say the winter when it was cold where the children could freeze out there.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
(Noted that the situation was rectified)

In my humble opinion, the State cannot charge her with running a Daycare unless there was payment made for such services. (Does a pop tart and a cup of OJ count amount to a service?)
Kids play at their friends house. You did it. I did it. Does it matter if it's at 7 am before school or at 3:30pm after school?

Meh. Permits are for chumps.

Cuhail

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
What a ridiculous violation of privacy and civil liberties. Figures it's in Michigan. The whole state is run by nothing but idiots who only waste what little taxpayer money is left on trivial bull# like this.

A "day care" is a business. Businesses make money. There is no money being exchanged here. And even if there were, there is nothing wrong with that. Believe it or not, the government does not need to have it's hands in every monetary transaction.

That's really what this comes down to: money. They're concerned that money is being exchanged and they aren't able to locate it and tax it. They don't give a damn about the children's safety or what ever other lame justification they gave to instituting this law. It's all about money.

I say it's great that there are still people out there who can be trusted and are willing to help others for no personal gain. This should be encouraged, not trampled. But as typical with government, when they themselves don't reap benefits from every function of every person in society, even important things such as community, family, and friendship must be destroyed.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
This is just another story about a crazy neighbour... I got one of those too... calls the cops every time her imagination runs away.. cant tell you how many times the cops have told her to stop calling, but for a while there those same cops were up and down our street every day looking for bank robbers ,peeping toms, and any other sort of miscreant you care to name... whats sad is good people get put on the spot by crazies like that...
Here's my latest crazy neighbor episode

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Yeah this was in Michigan I seen it on the news a few nights ago. Its so stupid I mean come on. From what the news said, the woman wasnt getting money from it, and since when is it a law you cant watch someones kid for a little bit? Isnt that was babysitters are?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I hear Michigan is hurting for money. So let's crackdown on babysitters?

Didn't Mrs. Bill Clinton write a book called "It takes a Village to raise a child?" I wonder what kind of permit (TAX) the "Village" needed to do this?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I wish someone would call the state about my "day care". There's always someone's kid hanging out around here.

Just kidding... I love it, at least it keeps my child happy, engaged with real life and outdoors instead of in front of a T.V.

But the story in the OP is outrageous.

Originally posted by buddhasystem
The situation was quickly rectified

It really bugs me when people start hyperventilating for no reason whatsoever and scream conspiracy when there is not one.

Um, rectified means it happened but they came to their senses. It's still stupid.

[edit on 30/9/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I wish someone would call the state about my "day care". There's always someone's kid hanging out around here.

I agree!!!
I did this for years with my girls neighborhood friends both before and after school. Didn't a famous female politician say "it takes a village to raise a child"?

I don't know where these poor people are from, but in the south we take care of our neighbors.

This is wrong

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Sounds to me like some one who shouldn't be watching the kids was watching the kids. The neighbors may really want to know who reported this to social services. There is were a true problem may be.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
its always easier to cry to the authorities instead of handling some business on your own - people have been like that for years, and now its getting worse as we becomes more isolated from each other and more dependent on others to enforce neighborhood issues.

Well, blank him/her and the horse s/he rode in on - I for one would love to have neighbors that were that cool with the neighborhood kids. There are only a few people like that left, and the powers that be would rather what was left of our community and society go down in shame than reestablish the human quality back to neighborhoods and communities.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
this is is happing 15 minutes from me and haveing 4 kids thair is always lots of kids at my house or my kids going to thare freinds houses. and I know people that do day care and wacth to many kids and get paid by the state with no licance.the state should look into the people thay pay for daycare first to see if thay are licanced. it takes alot to get a liance in MI

thare is a hole lot of bs just to help the nabior kids leagaly,she is a good nabior i would like to have!!

the rules to live by the state of MI

www.michigan.gov...

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
She probably did something that pissed off the neighbor and they called this agency saying that she was running a day care.

The neighbor should get the blame, not this agency. If she was running a day care and did not have a license then she would need to be shut down.

I wouldn't want to pay a daycare money and find out that they wasn't properly trained.

Thankfully that idiot neighbor didn't cost anyone any money or worse and it was quickly worked out.

top topics

join