It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids banned from walking/biking to school?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- Seventh-grader Adam Marino is getting a firsthand lesson in civil disobedience.

The 12-year-old and his mother, Janette Kaddo Marino, are defying Saratoga Springs school policy by biking to Maple Avenue Middle School on Route 9. The Jackson Street residents pedal more than four miles together each way to the middle school on nice days despite being told not to by school officials and police.

When the pair stuck with their plan, they were met by school administrators and a state trooper, who emphasized that biking was prohibited, Kaddo Marino said.
Source

Awesome. I've never heard of such a thing before. Granted I havent been in elementary school for 20 years now. We all walked, biked, whatever to school. Up until we got out licenses, jobs and cars anyway.

If the parents are cool with it what business does anyone else have overriding the parents?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

THEY ARE AMERICANS< they are supposed to drive everywhere, driving makes money for the fuel fatcats, oh no no no noo , you cannot exercise or get fit by cycling anywhere thats not allowed in the USSA, oops I mean the USA, oops I mean the not so United States of AMERIKA.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This is the first policy of this type I've heard of. How is it the school's business? Seems to me that they have better things to worry about like teaching.

I see this as infringing on parental roles and decisions regarding the health and welfare of children. My daughter walked to school when we lived close enough and no harm ever came to her. There was a little scare when some ATF agents followed her but that's another story.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Good for them. While states and cities/counties can make laws not in the constitution, they still cannot make laws that blatantly violate the constitution. Telling someone they cannot bike somewhere is absolute crap.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
You can't even walk to school? What in the blazes is going on in the minds of the school administrators? Do the kids take a bus to the bathroom? This has got to be one of the dumbest rules ever created.

I wonder if you could ride a horse, or take a wheelchair. Got to think outside of the box to get to school these days.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I thought that if the current trend in America was to get healthy. I think that the kids could turn around and look at the school board and state, well as we are not allowed to walk or bike to work, then we do not have to take PE or do any physical activity. I can understand the concern for the safety of the children, as the school board wants to ensure that the children gets there safely, but to turn around and ban walking/biking? I used to walk 2 miles to get to school when I went, and that was in the snow and cold ontop of that. I think that the school district needs to reevaluate its priorities and think, do you want healthy children or children that are not so healthy.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
I thought that if the current trend in America was to get healthy.

They only support "trends to get healthy" when there's a dollar to be made or legislation to pass. Like taxing a can of pop or banning certain substances/activities.

If supporting "trends to get healthy" could result in more freedom less external control over your life it must be squashed immediately.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I would just tell my kid if I had one to bike to the end of the block closest to school.
Technically you didn't ride to school...you rode to the end of the block.
Also,since they are coming from one block away and didn't walk from home to school then you might create a loophole.
There has got to be a way to override this.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This is ridiculous! What, are the parents supposed to drop everything and drive them to and from school every day?
That would be impossible in most households!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

I don't think it's an evil conspiracy; more like a knee jerk reaction to fears for children's safety.

Still how children get to school is the parents responsibility and as long as they get there not schools business.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by gallopinghordes

Did you see the huge shoulder the kids have to ride on on the way to school? I wish I had such luxurious shoulders when riding around.

Sure, not all kids will be coming from that direction on that road but it's a funny shot nonetheless when considering childrens safety.

I've been on public school bus rides that were more like mobile tribal conflict battles with lots of kicking, punching, a rape and a couple of stabbings.

I'd take a wrong-way commute by bicycle blind down an expressway over those buses any day.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Exactly, that wide shoulder is much bigger then any place around here. I wish government agencies would quit with the knee jerk reactions which of course, are for our own good.

Kudos the those two for taking a stand and doing what they feel is right.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
That mother shuld sue the police station of where that patrol ifficer was and the school. So our future generation not only can't get healthy but they also can't be independent. Wow I just got out of high school 5 years ago and I used to walk from my house to school which was 3 miles away. You have to teach people safety and what to do if in the case that some one tries something funny but the heck does the school administrator have to do with this. Seems like every where you turn there is a control policy being put into place. this truly is becomming a USSA instead of USA.

-- I once heard a rumor that the USA was a free country, guess I heard wrong

[edit on 30-9-2009 by qbanthinker305]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
I don't think it's an evil conspiracy; more like a knee jerk reaction to fears for children's safety.

I agree. But it's absolutely ridiculous for the school to think that it has jurisdiction off school property, before and after school hours. If the school is concerned about safety, then they should work with the city to have bike lanes installed on Route 9, not throw their (imagined) weight around by dictating behavior of the kids outside of school property and hours. Who do they think they are?

I salute the parents for challenging this stupid policy.

CX

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
My kids school actively encourages the kids to walk/bike to school, not only is it healthier for the kids, it also reduces the horrendous parking problems around the school at dropping off and picking up time.

The kids actually get awards if they can walk to school more.

As others have said here, this is probably just a kneejerk reaction to some safety concern.

Hopefully.

CX.

[edit on 30/9/09 by CX]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think it is wonderful that the parent does this with the child.

I can see the school's side however. People will sue over anything. which is why schools call out now at the first sign of a snowflake.

So if anything were to happen, so they kid fell off the bike in the school parking lot, the parents could sue.

This is an old rule, not a new one. The kid wasn't even born when it was implemented.

What they need to do is have the parents sign a waiver. and then be on their way.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Where I live started to do something similar.

I was turned over to DHS/Children Protective Services for Criminal Neglect and Child Abuse for allowing my 12 year old daughter to ride Public Transportation to school. I have a thread here on ATS of my harrowing ordeal Enroll Your Child in Public School = Lose Parental Rights.

Schools should not be concerned with what goes on outside of the classroom, off school grounds. Period! That is none of their business. Schools are not surrogate parents and should stop acting as such!

This desire to over-protect our children has gone too far. A 12 year old child is considered mature and responsible enough to be left home alone, and even care for an infant without supervision in the United States, but they aren't considered mature and responsible enough to bicycle to school supervised?

It would be one thing if this were a high crime area. I would have reservations about any parent who allowed their 12 year old child to bicycle to school unsupervised in downtown Detroit or Chicago. However, bicycling supervised in a low crime town of 26,000 certainly isn't wrong in any way, shape, or form.

To me, it sounds like School Officials and the Police are the ones that need to grow up and get a grip on reality.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Let Obama catch wind of this...He'll stop it in no time flat. I mean isn't he encouraging the youth of America to get more exercise?

Just my 2-cents

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
www.timesunion.com...

Was just about to post this
amazing!!!!

Surreal in fact

I read this and was speechless.

I hope the parents don't take this sitting down!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
In there defence, I wouldnt let me kid bike down that road. Its a main route in a rural area, with 4 lanes and a 55MPH limit. along with all that and a tiny bike lane next to a ditch. Hell im 29 and in great shape, and I would not bike down that road.

The URL is far to long to post, so search SARATOGA SPRINGS route 9 on google maps and drive it up and down with street view.

Ask your self, would you want friends, or family biking down that?

Edited to add, doing a quick search of "SARATOGA SPRINGS route 9 hit by car" came up with a lot of results.

[edit on 9/30/09 by Cyprex]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join