It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How good is your BS meter?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I was having a thought today by reading a thread that had gone into the HOAX forum. I think this would go here under “Board Business and Questions”.

Would it be beneficial to ATS to have a function to see how well people on here can detect BS threads?

Here is the idea, create a button in ATS or BTS whichever that takes the member to a quiz page, where they are presented with 20 questions depicting stories and pictures some real some fake, and the member has to determine fake or real. They could decide to or not to publicize their score on there profile, or possibly under their avatar.

The quiz would have to be able to only be taken once each time the content of the quiz was updated in order to keep members from remembering answers and upping their score.

I believe having this score appear under an avatar would help give member credibility when helping to identify HOAXES especially if they scored a higher number on the quiz.

What does everyone else think, what do the Moderators, Administrators, or Owners think?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

A BS meter next to a thread would be neat!

Fun idea!!!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I think it would be easier for members to explain through evidence and argument why a picture, video, or whatever is real or a hoax. A clear, concise argument pro or con would seem to me to lend more credibility than a score on an artificially produced quiz.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Toromos

I fully expect them to have explanations in a thread why or why not they believe a subject to be the pretense of a hoax, but I would think having an indicator to the percent of their knowledge of such things might lend to their credibility a little.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlienCarnage
Would it be beneficial to ATS to have a function to see how well people on here can detect BS threads?

What does everyone else think, what do the Moderators, Administrators, or Owners think?

As a user I'd like it, but if I were an owner of the site I doubt I would implement it, because it would be too embarrassing to the people that didn't score well to have their scores displayed under their avatar. (And I suspect quite a few people wouldn't score so well).

Personally, I think I'm subconsciously assigning a credibility score to every regular poster I see on ATS based on the statements and claims in their post. I don't have any exact scores but just mental notes that might fall into 5 broad categories like:

highly credible
mostly credible
sometimes credible
mostly not credible
clueless or disconnected from reality

I would be surprised if a lot of people aren't doing the same thing subconsciously, however, depending on their bias, my ratings and their ratings of a particular ATS member may be completely different. So the nice thing about an objective assessment would be that it is in fact objective, that's why I like the idea. But it's not going to happen and I understand why.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I was thinking that members could choose whether or not to post the score, which I am sure those that score low would not choose to post their score, but not having it there does not necessarily mean you scored low, but would be a possible indication you didn’t take the quiz.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

That's a creative solution to the problem I mentioned... I like it. Good thinking.

Now how about this one... who would design the questions and would we be able to agree that they really show the ability to detect BS?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I think I like it.

But then we're gonna need a new meter all the time, cuz the constant smacking against the right peg will eventually break it.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
while it sounds like a good idea - it is flawed - because different BS requires different skills to recognise it -

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Sounds like a good idea for places like myspace and FB not ATS. I dont want to see quizzes on here that have no merit whatsoever on a persons intelligence of what they believe to be real or not. Those quizzes are not accurate...Also I am not going to waste time taking some quiz on how well I am able to detect someone's BS. I would rather see supporting evidence to show why it may be real or why it may be fake. I also would not look at a "meter" on a members profile to determine how well they see through BS threads. I have seen threads on here that could be fake and could be real so this meter thing wouldnt work. Everyone sees things differently even with evidence. Everyone interprets the information in a different way. I have seen things I believe to be very real while others deem it fake.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlienCarnage

I was thinking that members could choose whether or not to post the score, which I am sure those that score low would not choose to post their score, but not having it there does not necessarily mean you scored low, but would be a possible indication you didn’t take the quiz.

I wouldnt take it
I have nothing to prove on an internet forum and if you would rather go by some meter to determine someones worth rather than read then I dont know what to tell you. Why do we have to label people anymore than we already do?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

As far as photos go, it would be simple, you show three photos for question 1 depicting the same scene and only one is photo shopped an easy example would be a plate on a table, but in one of the photos the plate was photo shopped into the picture. They would obviously have to identify the photo shopped picture, or you could do the reverse where you had to pick the photo that was the real one, two being photo shopped in this case.

The above is just an example but you can see where I am going with this.

The photos could be created by members that are good Photoshop artists, or possibly by staff, this part would depend on decisions made by Owners I would think. Obviously the correct answers would be stored in a database and the scores would be given in real time.

Real and artificial stories might be harder to come by but I am sure someone can think of some examples.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toromos
I think it would be easier for members to explain through evidence and argument why a picture, video, or whatever is real or a hoax. A clear, concise argument pro or con would seem to me to lend more credibility than a score on an artificially produced quiz.

Id agree with this this.

The best way to test a story is to do research and back up your opinion with facts. It is done all the time in Aliens & UFO. Someone presents a photo, others analyze it using software or doing research to find out if its legit or not.

I don't think meters are needed. It serves no purpose. Reason and Logic is needed and presented that within a thread.

So, if you think something is "BS", then work hard at bringing your research and logic to the table

In my humble opinion.

[edit on September 30th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Agreed!! IMO a BS meter would make users lazy. They would think ok this person knows what they are talking about and then they wouldnt look into the subject themselves...at least that's how I see it. I love ATS for NOT being like every other site out there!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I am sure that many users would not take it, however I have seen in several threads that were later determined to be hoaxes, that members came up with legitimate reasons for something being a hoax which were totally overlooked because of the users was new, or whatever other reason, and when it was determined a hoax it was for the reasons that the user that had been ignored, had previously put forward.

Now if this user had an indicator under their avatar, they may have been taken seriously earlier and may have had others supporting what they were saying rather than just discarding it.

Admittedly these are rare cases, and off the top of my head I do not remember what these threads were, I just remember that the final outcome was that they ended up in the hoax forum.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Although I really like the concept how on earth are they going to agree which of the questions are true and which are false. Just about every thread on here has counter arguments to it's validity so at the end of the day you would not get 20 questions that could be answered without debating the facts or unfacts.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I don’t disagree with presenting your case in a well thought out post, but for new members with no credibility on ATS, I think having the indicator there might help them to be taken a little more seriously.

There is no substitute for well researched and thought out post, I wouldn’t expect to see the indicator next to the avatar saying they scored a high percentage on the quiz and see “this is a hoax” posted by the member with no further explanation, just because their indicator says they got a high percentage on the quiz.

I would actually expect more information than a typical post indicating what exactly about the subject being debated indicates a host. In fact in the disclaimer information that the user would have to accept prior to taking the test would let the user know that if the person taking the test scored high, and they wished to display this score under their Avatar, they would be held to a higher standard than typical posters on ATS, with further information how this higher standard would be handled by ATS and the moderator staff.

< - - - Edit to remove an invalid sentence - - - >

[edit on 9/30/2009 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Feh. A pointless drama fest at best. Throw it out there and let it sink or swim on its own merit. I'll make my own determination without the assistance of some alien channeling basement commandos (with all due respect) skewing the results.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I see a big problem with this idea....

Judging from some of the more recent threads, they're gonna have to replace slammed needles several times an hour!

Seriously, I kind of like this idea and wanted to toss my support behind it. For what it's worth ($0.02, now worth 2.3 Japanese Yen).

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Wow, that's a great idea! Some kind of meter or indicator that has the ability to lend to creditability of the poster.

However, Arbitrageur brings up a good point, here is what he said.

Personally, I think I'm subconsciously assigning a credibility score to every regular poster I see on ATS based on the statements and claims in their post. I don't have any exact scores but just mental notes that might fall into 5 broad categories like:

highly credible
mostly credible
sometimes credible
mostly not credible
clueless or disconnected from reality

I have a strong feeling we are all doing that, to a point at least. I mean it does matter who says something as much as what they say.

Adding the note that quite a few things that members have said or discussed actually happens. It's kinda funny really.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by cenpuppie]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join