It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerful earthquake rocks western Indonesia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Powerful earthquake rocks western Indonesia

news.yahoo.com
AKARTA, Indonesia – Witnesses and media say a powerful earthquake hit western Indonesia, toppling buildings, cutting electricity and causing at least several injuries.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.9, and struck 30 miles (50 kilometers) off the coast of Sumatra. The quake was along the same fault line that spawned the massive 2004 India Ocean tsunami that killed more than 230,000 people.

A tsunami warning for countries along the Indian Ocean was issued after the temblor struck early evening Wednesday and then lifted about an hour-and-a-half
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: add link to news source

[edit on 9/30/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Another boomer in a very volatile region. The tsunami flags are up for Indonesia, Malaysia, India and Thailand. I hope people head for high ground. Residents have fled their homes and have headed for the streets to avoid potential collapsing structures.

THis one is big. It is a couple of thousand miles to the West of yesterday's quake in Samoa.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: added link to news source

[edit on 9/30/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Here is a little more info.

www.foxnews.com...

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Holy crap... another one.

What the hell's going on?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Indeed a powerful tsunami

news.yahoo.com...

The quake was centered about 125 miles (200 kilometers) from Samoa, an island nation of 180,000 people located about halfway between New Zealand and Hawaii. It was about 120 miles (190 kilometers) from neighboring American Samoa, a U.S. territory that is home to 65,000 people.

Four tsunami waves 15 to 20 feet (4 to 6 meters) high roared ashore on American Samoa, reaching up to a mile (1.5 kilometers) inland, Mike Reynolds, superintendent of the National Park of American Samoa, was quoted as saying by a parks service spokeswoman

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Its earthquakes my man.. they just happen when and how big they want to be. There is no big pattern here or anything that will lead anyone to believe there are going to be any more big quakes anytime soon. Randomness is a beautiful thing.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

News First
twitter.com...

Thousands are trapped in rubble following the major earthquake that struck Indonesia's Sumatra island, the health ministry told AFP.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Just to let you know, I'm living in Surabaya (eastern seaboard of the same island that Jakarka is on, and about 30 min flight from Bali).

Not exactly sure what time that happened, but I didn't feel a thing.

Conversely, I was living in Beijing when that large earthquake hit Si Chuan (四川)province and actually felt my chair sway back and forth a bit. A greater distance, but roughly the same magnitude, I believe.

Actually, I haven't felt any of the earthquakes that have happened here over the course of the entire year.

new topics

top topics

join