It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British intelligence believes Iran has resumed work on nuclear warhead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

British intelligence has disputed an American assessment that Iran has not resumed work building a warhead for a nuclear weapon.

The Financial Times and New York Times have separately reported that Western and Israeli intelligence agencies are in the throes of a dispute over the exact nature of Iran's work to build a functioning atom bomb.

Following the discovery of a secret plant outside the holy city of Qom, US intelligence hopes that it has made a breakthrough in finding out how much covert work Iran is undertaking.

The New York Times quoted a US official claiming Qom "was the big one" but he added Iran was a big country.

British officials told the Financial Times that Iran resumed work on a nuclear warhead design in "late 2004 or early 2005." The US assessment is that worked stopped after an order was handed down by Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in 2003 and there is no conclusive evidence that it has restarted.

One former US official acknowledged there were deep differences between international intelligence agencies. "It's often the tradecraft that gets us bollixed up," said Rolf Mowatt-Larssen. "It comes down to interpreting the same data in different ways."

The shadow of faulty assessments used to pave the way to the Iraq war hangs over intelligence agencies attempts to reach conclusions about Iran.

"We'd let the country down, and we wanted to make sure it would never happen again," said Thomas Fingar, who led the State Department's intelligence bureau, which disputed the weapons of mass distruction assessment before the Iraq war. "Now, it's much more of a transparent tussle of ideas."

While the American view is that the design work has still not resumed but Germany, Israel and Britain are more hawkish.

Seems in line with the opposition groups in Iran stating warhead research & production facilities exist.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Is this the very same MI6 who passed on intelligence that Iraq was hiding weapons of mass destruction and rebuilding its arsenal?

These people (I use that term very loosely) must think we are stupid

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

I don't know about where the intelligence from iraq came from, but this is likely from from opposition groups in Iran such as the mujadeen, who have previously provided reliable intelligence.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

You may be right and apologies for coming across as so cynical but I am cynical of this. For me all these noises in the MSM smacks of war drums rising to a crescendo, building up for more war.

In fact these are the very same sounds that were heard before Iraq got invaded. The similarities between the rhetoric spewed then and the rhetoric spewed now are astounding!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

i was going to post the same thing...you are up to date on whats happening m8, i starred you...

regarding the British Intelligence and WMD in Iraq..here we go...

IRAQ'S WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION: THE ASSESSMENT OF THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT

British Dossier Says Iraq Has 'Military Plans' for Use of WMD

No Weapons in Iraq? We'll Find Them in Iran

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
we are going through the same story again...Iraq way back in 2002 was a demolished and defeated country..not even their neighbours bothered about them....still our beloved media pictured them as the imminent treath....

come on..we know that Iran is a a well sustained beautiful country which had to work hard to come to these standards..do you really beleive they want to risk it all out???

The only problem here is that after the Iranian revolution the OIL escavated there belongs to the Iranian People and for me that is how its supposed to be

But still i beleive that no one can stop them and Iran days are numbered..the last card the West played was trying to get rid of Ahmadinejad's administration during the elections which failed and thus even if we clearly see Ahmadinejad's attempts to talk and insure safety to his people and country....am invasion is what are we all going to see...but beware...IRAN GOT FRIENDS..and also...WE LEARNT FROM YOUR PAST ACTIONS..and maybe people are more aware of which are the real Warcrimes

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Sorry about that.

The moment I saw this thread I had the same feeling I had all those years ago when Tony B-liar the so-called great man came on my TV to tell the nation that Saddam had the means to launch a missile strike on the UK with only forty five minuets notice. I wonder how long similar scare tactics will be used in regards to Iran.

It seems obvious that the same tactic is going to be used again and the UK will lap it up again. If that happens then this country deserves this slimy little government.

Holding my breath, hoping more eyes are open this time.

Fascinating links mate, thanks for refreshing my memory

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
ur more than welcome

also..this might be a good reference to us all...

Google Video Link

and also this...

Google Video Link

Bookmark the videos when you have some time please review

they are long but worth watching

[edit on 30-9-2009 by heineken]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67
Is this the very same MI6 who passed on intelligence that Iraq was hiding weapons of mass destruction and rebuilding its arsenal?

These people (I use that term very loosely) must think we are stupid

I understand what you're saying, but come on, there's a big difference between Iraq and Iran, you can throw them both in the same group as evil, or whatever you would like to call it, but we should all know there's a huge difference in the lies going around here. If anything, the president of Iran isn't really lying, but actually, proving this thread right, but trying to say its okay if they do this, just like any other country. Like the USA

[edit on 30-9-2009 by gak730]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
i never beleive Iran would risk all this....poeple open your eyes...they are too busy with their own country...they dont want trouble with any one else

Beauty of Incredible Iran

another good film on Iran

Google Video Link

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
These are the same people that wrecked my life without ever being right once. These people are mental lunatics, and you guys believe them, lol.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The build up to war... disgusting, propaganda, isn't it?!

The supposed "secret" nuclear facility at Natanz is, apparently, 12-18 months from build start - the IAEA regulations state that any nuclear facility must be announced at least SIX months before building commences - how are Iran hiding this facility, if they didn't have to declare legally for another 6 months?

Take a look at this line, also from the Torygraph "If nothing else, the disclosure that Iran is building yet another underground nuclear facility has had the welcome effect of wiping the smile off Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's face."

"Until the Obama administration dropped the bombshell that it knew what the Iranian regime was up to, Mr Ahmadinejad had been enjoying himself, provoking mass walkouts from the United Nations General Assembly in New York"

This type of 'news', for me at least, is clearly propaganda. Why did Obama, Brown & Sarkozy wait until the day after their discussions on Nuclear Non-Proliferation, the day they're supposed to focus on the economic climate, before announcing the Natanz site and making their ultimatums to Achmadinejad?

I don't support all of Achmadinejad's policies at home, nor necessarily his views on the holocaust and the Jewish state of Israel (anybody else notice Obama call Israel 'The Jewish State' the other day??) but I'm amazed that we're watching pre-war rhetoric so blatantly displayed. The agenda is out on the table, and they don't care if we can predict their movements anymore - they're just going to go ahead and attack Iran, whether we like it or not. I sincerely hope the troops, of all nations, refuse to go along with any invasion plans. Not to say we shouldn't regulate Iran, but in the same way the US, UK and every other nuclear state is regulated.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by gak730

Good point but my point is that the intelligence communities are again not about telling the truth as you or I see it. For an accurate version of the truth I think you need to be the government. I also think they are too busy focused on spreading their version of the truth depending on what agenda they are pushing at the time and who they wish to influence.

A truth can be a lie but if the security services spin it a certain way they can turn it into a convincing truth with the MSN being just another spoke in the never ending game of deceit. Everyone is being played for a fool here because the majority fall for it time after time so, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Maybe I am overly cynical here but I trust the motives of the security services and the MSM about as much as I would trust a diseased viper.

Lies within lies, layers of deceit and if military intelligence say the grass is green I say get checked for colour blindness just in case.

This time just like the last time the agenda is building up public opinion to be in favour of an attack on Iran so opinion polls do not further degrade public opinion on those wonderful people in government. At the end of the day I would think that the Labour and conservative governments want the same thing so in my opinion it may not matter what the opinion polls say in that regard as one man falls, another rises and the will for an escalation of war continues on no matter the political party in power.

I am starting to think that they are the same, only flying different colours anyway. I am so disgusted with their mindset I could weep.

top topics

join