It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Begins Afghan War Strategy Review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   

White House Begins Afghan War Strategy Review

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON -- The White House began its review of the Afghan war strategy in earnest Tuesday, with senior administration officials meeting via videoconference with the top commander in Kabul, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, at the start of what could be weeks of debate over whether to send thousands of reinforcements.

White House officials said President Barack Obama will join in the discussions Wednesday, when he is expected to meet with Vice President Joe Biden and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, among other top officials.

The White House unexpectedly decided to review its strategy in Afgh
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
This will be the second meeting Barrack will have with the commanders concerning Afganistan. Repeat, the 2nd. Not daily, not monthly, not bimonthly!

The Commander in Chief has been out of touch with the US military leaders who have been leading the Afghanistan campaign.

Is there any wonder why we now are loosing? Barrack doesn't give a rip!

Also the following: www.washingtonpost.com...

"U.S. rules of engagement restricting the use of air power and aggressive action against civilians have also opened new space for the insurgents"

The Administration, like back in the Mcnamara days of Viet Nam, has put limitations on the rules of engagement so the US can't bomb houses (can't bomb houses! Where in blazes does Barrack think the Taliban hide? Out in the open?? OMG!) Stupid, very Stupid if you want to win a war and get out as Barrack professes to want to do!

The problem is this: "The point is that the Taliban, who have had a very clear aim and means from the very beginning, have been able slowly and steadily to get better at what they're doing,"

Barrack's administration has demonstrated clearly that it just wants to get out and the Taliban has taken the necessary measures to thereby win the war.

Stupid US policy! Thanks a lot Barrack! Let's have another loss like Nam!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30/9/09 by plumranch]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Uh, oh.

It sounds like those big, bad, Republicans are forcing obama to do yet another about face on yet another campaign promise made to the liberals ...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Why haven't they been discussing this all along? I mean Jesus, you wanna help the deficit? Quit dropping billions on two unfounded wars for God's sake.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I wonder why they're bothering to hold a meeting about it. It's pretty much a forgone conclusion. I guess they have to make a show for congress and the press though.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

This is the second public meeting that Obama is having with military commanders concerning Afghanistan. Are you somehow convinced that Obama is not getting daily briefings or that the commanders are not sending up reports?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
That's odd. Last fall, all I heard from the Democrats was that Afghanistan was the 'good war' and even Obama himself said that it was a war that we 'must win', in his words. I guess that only matters on the campaign trail. They're only eight months into this and they're already wavering badly.

Do they want to try to win this war? If they do, they need to listen to their commanders on the ground and give them the resources they need. Do they want to get the hell out of there? Then do it now and quit jerking around, trying to save face, and getting our soldiers killed in the process.

In either case, they need to set a clear policy and follow through, even in the face of adversity. So far, their policy in Afghanistan is a muddled, incoherent mess, much like the rest of their overall agenda.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

I heard McCrystal say that in an interview on FOX. Here is the Post report: U.S. commander in Afghanistan talked with Obama only once

Bush met with his main command every week or at the most 2 wks in the beginning. Runsfeldt was on the phone, well, a lot wondering what was going on over there!

I think it could be said that Barrack is occupied with other matters. Today it is the Chicago Olympics.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
what an embarrasemnt this is, 2nd meeting, might as well have been never. i can see it now when obama and the commander meet..umm who are you agian?lol

geesh! even the manager(commander) in an effin mcdonalds keeps communicatiosn with whats going on! In the corporate world, managers dont really talk to thier commanders, managers above them, the CEOS. usualy becuase its theri bad asses..since our governemnt operates like a corporation i wonder if its something similar?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I am glad he is having this review. But I am not happy that it took public criticism for them to tackle this issue. Should have done it sooner.

I hope the commander who has been calling for more troops isn't removed because of this review. He is calling the shots as he sees them and is going public because his request up to this point has been ignored.

Hope the review comes up with a good strategy how to stabilize Afghanistan and and withdraw as soon as possible.

Edited for clarity and grammar

[edit on 30-9-2009 by jam321]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Here it is:
U.S. Army General Stanley A. McChrystal McChrystal's Afghanistan Failure Warning

"The situation in Afghanistan is serious and growing worse and without more boots on the ground the United States risks failure in a war it's been waging since shortly after the terror attacks of September 2001, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, says in a confidential report."

From the returning military personnel I've talked to the situation in Afghanistan can certainly be managed. The question is does the Administration have any commitment to do so?

[edit on 30/9/09 by plumranch]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I believe the General. He is on the front lines. IMO, his words should mean much much more than anybody who is currently residing in Washington DC.

I think they should give the man what he wants and established some clean, clear and precise objectives to be achieved. Otherwise, they should just bring them home.

I just don't believe in sending our troops into harm's way if they aren't going to be supported 110%.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Glad they are finally getting around to reviewing the strategy.
Give me a break.
43 troops have died since McChrystal first called for more troops.

On August 30, Gen. Stanley McChrystal sent Defense Secretary Robert Gates a war assessment in which he said more U.S. troops--and a new U.S. strategy--are needed if the U.S. is to defeat the insurgents in Afghanistan.

Since that Aug. 30 date, a total of 43 soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines have died in a war that is now the subject of much discussion--and apparently some confusion--in Washington. Forty-two of those casualties have been identified by name in U.S. Defense Department press releases (see below), while the 43rd casaulty, which occurred today, has been confirmed in press reports, but not by name.

But Obama has priorities you know.
Letterman
AFL-CIO speeches...

But first, Obama welcomes golfing great Arnold Palmer to the Oval Office,” the Associated Press reported on Wednesday. Palmer is in town to receive the Congressional Gold Medal.

On Thursday, Obama plans to fly to Copenhagen to pitch Chicago as the venue for the 2016 Olympics.

Obama is out of his league and has no idea of what needs to be done. Remember this.

in March 2009 – Obama announced a “comprehensive new strategy” for Afghanistan: “I want the American people to understand that we have a clear and focused goal to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat Al Qaeda in Pakistan and Afghanistan and to prevent their return to either country in the future,” But last week, Obama said he was not willing to send troops “beyond what we already have” until he was sure the United States is employing the right strategy in the region.

Obama needs to get out of the Waffle House and do what is right. Either get every last troop out of dodge or unleash the full power of our military on that region. Either solution will stop the inevitable loss of more troops.

Listen to the Generals in the field and not your cronies on the Hill Obama.

I am beginning to think that prior military service should be compulsory for the POTUS. Obama does not get it.

www.cnsnews.com...

[edit on 30-9-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Oh before I forget. Obama has plenty of time for this instead of dealing with Afghan policy and strategy.

To think that I always thought that Clinton was the Hollywood boy.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Obama Meets With Security Team on Afghanistan, as White House Battles Criticism

fended off charges that the president has been stalling on Gen. Stanley McChrystal's request for more troops. Obama will not make any decision on an Afghan strategy for at least a few weeks, the White House announced Wednesday night. Obama will reportedly meet again with his national security team to discuss Afghanistan and Pakistan on Oct. 7.

Obama and Michelle are so busy trying to get the Olympic games in their corrupt home town South Chicago that there is no time to make decisions about troop reinforcements in Afghanistan to save the lives of our men and women in uniform. It's a busy life for Barrack, so many tough decisions to make.

So they'll have to wait several more weeks while Barrack plays politics. Maybe he'll announce his decision on the Letterman show!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

So Obama cuts McCrystal off at the knees because he doesn't want to make difficult dicisions concerning the Afghan conflict McChrystal Now Just One of Many Leaders as Obama Rethinks Afghan Strategy . Our illustrious president is off making flowery speeches about what a wonderful place his home town South Chicago would be for the Olympics:Obama in Denmark to Lobby for 2016 Olympics. Hopefully Michelle and Barrack's friends in Chicago will get rich from the Olympics and we will all be happy and we can forget Afghanistan.!

new topics

top topics

join