It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the moon look weird shaped for anyone else?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Last night I looked at the moon and my first thought was that it was a different shape. It was sort of like an egg. It didn't look like it the night before and I haven't seen it look like that.

It sort of looked like something else was casting a shadow over it.

Anyone?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Strangely enough I was looking at the Moon through my window last night around 11:45pm here in Oz and it did look a weird shape or had some kind of funny shadow on it that made it seem slightly right....

Very weird indeeed that you saw this aswell.....

S&F

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Looked, and looks, fine to me.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Glad someone else noticed. I tried looking through google at posts made about the moon in the last 24 hours last night but couldn't find anybody talking about it.

Where in Oz are you from? Here in Melbourne there was a huge ring around the moon too, I think they're called moon halos but this was far larger than the pictures I've seen.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Hey phage, yeah that is what it would usually look like and it did except that there was like a second shadow over it that cut off some of the bottom (or top, I can't remember). Hard to explain.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I'm an amateur astronomer and happen to be viewing the moon the past few nights with a very large telescope - and noticed nothing unusual at all.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Thanks. Where are you from though because this would have been when it was daylight in America.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Good point, Sydney.

Last few nights viewing around 9-11pm EST (+10hrs greenwich meantime)

I did see a strange post on a local astronomy forum of an amatuer claiming to see a "garbage bin" looking object drift past the moon during the day. Taking a good 2 mins to cross. Very likely a slow moving satellite and it most likely crossed in 20secs (i'm guessing).

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I'm in the UK and thought the same thing last night,it appeared 'egg-shaped'.I watched it for some time too,checking that no cloud was obscuring or distorting it.Just couldn't work it out?Very peculiar.I've not witnessed that before.
Alot of cloud rolled in shortly after so i didn't get to check again.
I'd love to know why it appeared that shape!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Caveat Lector
I'm an amateur astronomer and happen to be viewing the moon the past few nights with a very large telescope - and noticed nothing unusual at all.

have you seen anything uncommon in any of the times you have seen it? it really depends on the zoom of your telescope though

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I watched it on yesterday evening in Paris, France (at 9pm) and it was normal.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
The Moon is curretly gibbous (not quite full) and therefore does look a bit 'egg shaped'

www.dacre.net...

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Noticed the unusual shadow too.

I live in Germany.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Dynamitrios]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by spartan1337

have you seen anything uncommon in any of the times you have seen it? it really depends on the zoom of your telescope though

I have seen some pretty bizarre features - but this is shadows, almost certainly (and logically of course). Although under high power, 550x, you can see what is quite clearly sharp high ridges within small impact craters.

I personally find this weird as 'it looks' like the crater simply should not have anything jutting out from the middle. That being said you simply cannot see them during a full moon - Astronomy is a game of pure contrast and details simply wash out. Futher adding to the accepted (in astronomy circles) that the shadows play tricks.

It's interesting that even if the hubble telescope pointed to the lunar landing sites, it simply cannot resolve any equipment. Even moon buggies 4m long. I do believe we (well the US) did land, seriously

Not to hijack the thread here - but the Japanese lunar probe promised to reveal landing sites, including buggies and other equipment. Alas nothing of the kind released.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Caveat Lector]

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Caveat Lector]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Last night I looked at the moon and my first thought was that it was a different shape. It was sort of like an egg. It didn't look like it the night before and I haven't seen it look like that.

linky

could it be that you're just noticing the fact that the moon is waning at the moment? A couple of days ago, it would have been slight fuller - giving an image of a vaguely oval moon.....?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
My friend called me Tuesday evening at work telling me to go outside and look at the moon. I did so.

He said "what's up with the moon and the star next to it? do they look funny to you?

I said "no"..

He said "the star by moon is moving around and bouncing...and the moon looks like it's a different shape."

I told him to "go check out this site Abovetopsecret.com if theres anything noticable they are talking about it."

I get home early Wednesdy morning after work and find this post.

I belive something was going with the moon? was it physical no? Was it mond control? VERY POSSIBLE!!

Is this what darkstar or who ever was talking about?

[edit on 9/30/2009 by Chaos Lord]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Jupiter is near the moon lately, right near. Looks like a super bright star

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I noticed that here was a slight shadow on the left hand side that had crept into the light portion. Weird I might add.

I felt it looked different.

Will watch again tonight.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
So glad that others noticed it. I understand that it is egg-shaped this time of the month but it wasn't like it is in the pictures or other months. The best way to describe it is that it was like something else apart from earth was casting a shadow on the moon.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

The Earth is not casting a shadow on the Moon. The Moon is casting a shadow on the Moon.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join