It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible that everything that exists is... impossible?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Sounds crazy, no? But the impossibility of life can be found by simply using logic to slowly move back in time.

What can before us? Similar "sapient" animals. Before that, other mammals, so on and so forth down the chain of animals and cells and prokaryotes. What about Earth? Blue skies and a relatively quiet environment was preceded by amazing upheaval and molten land masses. Chemically, the variation of elements has emerged over the billions of years that the first few made their way into and onto Earth.

And before that? The cosmos was small. The size of a few galaxies, a solar system, a star, a planet, an atom. Any physicist will tell you that within mere minutes of the Big Bang the universe had expanded from something incomprehensibly small to hundreds of thousands, millions of miles.

But what was before the Big Bang? A small little volume of unbelievably heavy mass? How did that get there? What came before that? The simple answer seems to be nothing.

Something cannot come out of nothing. That something obviously must have existed, but how could it have coming from the deep, dark nothingness of eternity. How do we exist now? What comes after us?

Thoughts?

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
an answer is everything builds up into particular structures.
rocks -> asteroids -> moons -> planets
gases >>>> stars
atoms > flesh + bones > animals

the question of how anything came to be is just mind boggling, wether the big bang theory is right or not.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by platipus]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
from nothing came something,
consciousness simply manifested matter, hence the big bang

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Dave157

consciousness from what?

its not adding up.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
This question can never be answered. The universe could really well be like an eternal heartbeat; it expands (big bang theory) and then it contracts (big crunch theory) infinite times. How and when did it start? we can't know, infinity is impossible to grasp for the human mind.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ineverknew

I can't back this up scientifically- it's probably pure quackery- but here's my attempt to reason it out.

If there is ANYTHING it will dream of EVERYTHING.

In fact it would only be a small step to suggest that NOTHING could dream up EVERYTHING.

Let us start however by supposing the existence of a single electron within an infinitely small space.

There is only NOTHING to oppose space, so what is to stop space from expanding?

If in the course of expanding, space stretches, it effectively is placing whatever matter exists within an increasingly small fraction of space, taking an inverse method to achieve the same result as compression- the result being a singularity.

We know that the exchange of energy between matter can lead to perception of things both real and not real, as this happens in our brains. But in a singularity there is no separation, and so all possible neurons fire at all times and all things are percieved.

And by the same token, though lacking matter and energy, NOTHING is also without division, and who is to say that energy is necessary for a neuron to fire when there is no separation?

So we could be an impossible dream being had by nothing, and every part of it, including our distinction from eachother and from nothingness, could be illusory.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by newworld

i agree with that if what u mean by "big bang and crunch" is a "recycling" universe.
thats the only way "infinite" works.
infinite cant end after all... if it can its a humongous number that is NOT absolutely infinite but it would seem forever.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by platipus

i agree with that if what u mean by "big bang and crunch" is a "recycling" universe.
thats the only way "infinite" works.
infinite cant end after all... if it can its a humongous number that is NOT absolutely infinite but it would seem forever.

yes, that's what I meant. However we still end with the problem of when and if this process had a beginning. If it had a beginning, then how did it come from nothing? if it has always been there, then how would that make logical sense?

This is why we can't really answer this question, our brains probably can't grasp this process, assuming this is how it works.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   

an impossible concept indeed.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Hi,
What I'm about to share comes from my explorations outside our consensus reality, so many will think it bunkum. So take it or leave it based solely on your attachments to Belief.

Our universe has a membranous (sp) skin like a bubble. Outside of that you will find millions more bubble-verses like our's.

When two bubble-verses touch the result is a massive energy release, easily enough energy for a big bang scenario. I saw this "procreation" of bubble-verses for myself and thought it similar to how two humans come together to create young.

I also understood at the time that at the atomic level we would also see energetic 'bubbles'. Which confirmed for me the concept of "As above, so below."

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Space and time are interlinked. Time isn't merely a fabricated attribute we invented to give clocks a purpose

Before the big bang, space did not exist. Technically, neither did time. At least, not in the way we know it.

So nothing came "BEFORE" the big bang, as that is a contradiction in terms. No different than asking for a dry glass of water.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Well, I think that the Big Bang is nothing more than the human mind trying to grasp things he cannot by giving reality a start and thusly an end date.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   

As there is no current nor has there ever been any evidence that non-existence is a possibility and observational evidences dictate that it is nearly impossible, I assume the universe or more aptly the space the universe exist within is eternal and infinite.

We know now that space appears to be a sort of quantum foam or aether (could go either way) in which all matter is ultimately composed of and mediated through. That being the case, we only need a mechanism that perturbs matter out of this medium. When a sufficient amount of matter forms it will be like a dense plasma and follow the laws of plasma physics.

Still a work in progress ...

I've been taking a lot of notes and I'm working towards developing my own theory of how and why everything exists. I personally believe that the expanse of space is eternal and infinite with a finite amount of matter existing at any one given moment.

The big bang and religious arguments just seem a little too contradictory and paradoxical to be believable.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
There are many dimensions.

These dimensions, for want of a better word, are empty of our kind of matter. They consist of another energy level above ours. These dimensions move in and around and out as if vibrating on a gigantic scale.

When some of these dimensions collide, they create a point leak. That leak forms into a lower energy level, what you and I call matter/energy in our universe. When the matter/energy enters the vacuum, it disperses evenly and in all directions in the fabric of space without regard to the limitation of the speed of light. (You might say the matter is on a conveyor belt moving faster than light, but the matter itself is moving on that conveyor at a speed slower than light with respect to the conveyor. Compare it to you on a moving walkway, walking at your own speed). This conveyor is the carrier, the fabric of space The matter then spews into the vacuum until the dimensional collision abates.

When the leak is closed, the energy stabilizes in the new universe and begins to decline. This energy is carried in the fabric of space and accounts for the dark energy.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Ah yes the "Big Bang"... which is also judst a theroy and not the truth carved in stone.

If you apply the "electrical universe" theory, things start making much more sense

Here

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I have some thoughts on this matter, but they are not based on evidence and not testable, but it's something to think about. All we know is our own universe and the laws that govern our universe. We know that in our observable universe something cannot come from nothing. Matter is not created or destroyed, it is just transformed. Why do we have to assume that these laws apply outside the universe? Maybe something can come from nothing outside the universe. It seems unreasonable to us because all we have to work with is what we can observe. Outside of our universe is a total unknown. However, I know us humans could never be content with not knowing something. I hope we do figure it out one day.

Edit: Changed "nothing" to "matter" to remove ambiguity.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by theyreadmymind]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by theyreadmymind

Agreed. Heck, we don't even know if there is a "outside" our universe.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Hm interresting take.
"Nothing" is also a measure that can be applied here, because "nothing" is also a quantity (damn my limited english skills).
So, yes... "Something" could come out of "nothing" if "nothing" would be viewed as a quantity of some sort

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Dynamitrios]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Agreed. Heck, we don't even know if there is a "outside" our universe.

Yeah, that's true. It could be that space has no boundaries, and our universe is only defined by it's furthest expansion. In that respect, we would merely be "next to" other universes if there are any but not inside/outside them. You could also look at the universe as something like ATS. There is no outside or inside of ATS. It is just representative data displayed on our monitors. Or there could be other dimensions with no inside or outside, but only parallel to. Interesting!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Your mind being unable to understand the concept does not invalidate its existence.

It might also just mean we might not be designed to comprehend the reality of everything.

Its like 2D people trying to think in 3D.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join