It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is the science of defeating logical thinking

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by freeradical

Yeah, I remember this. It's very fascinating. And still going on. You can examine it online, even...

www.codexsinaiticus.org...

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by freeradical

But what I really don't understand is why do religious people get down right defensive when their personal religion comes under question?

Because they are immature. I used to do the exact same things.Some never grow out of it. For some reason, I did. Don't ask me why.

I cringe at some of the things I've said and wrote in the past. It was bad.

But beyond that excuse is that they don't know all the answers, and they don't want to admit it. The best way to cover up for that ignorance is to be defensive. Or offensive, depending on what helps them at that moment.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by PSUSA]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Religion is the science of defeating all thinking.
Firstly, Religion is a belief structure. And these should be avoided. Beliefs hinder an individuals ability to consider new concepts ("Well this is this, so that can't be. so, I'm not gonna think about it. I'm just gonna scream some scripture at ya'- here we go").

To all Evangelicals, Devout Christians, and other Fundamentalists I ask;

What is wrong with questioning? and why is Faith (Blindly believing) so virtuous? - and "just because" or "because we said so" is not an answer. I'm not 5years old, I no longer accept those as explanations.

I would also like you to know that I am not an atheist. Frankly, I don't want to be anything, but If I had to label myself I would say I'm closest to being an Agnostic. Honestly, I consider a lot of Atheists to be right on the same level as religious fundamentalists. They're whole-hearted belief in the science of now (what is known today), and their ferocious opposition to any opposing idea is clearly a mirror image of the close-minded christian (or whatever religion, your choice). To say that contemplating the possibility of a god/higher consciousness is "irresponsible", is itself irresponsible. Devout Atheists, please remember, our science (like all other things) is imperfect. Science is a growing, changing, evolving thing. It is a constant pursuit, and what is "known" now, can change tomorrow.

Beliefs Bad. Thinking Good.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by the_space_monkey]

[edit on 8-10-2009 by the_space_monkey]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by PSUSA

Who alive does know all the answers? I am inclined to believe there isn't anyone that does...
This is a naughty second line that must be whipped like the wretch it is.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by the_space_monkey

"Consider everything. Believe nothing."
Now if only all of natural tendencies ran that way huh?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by the_space_monkey

"Consider everything. Believe nothing."
Now if only all of natural tendencies ran that way huh?

Lol, this reminds me of something i read in a public restroom the other day.
On the back of the door it read "Nothing is true but Everything is possible.

Inverse of what you said.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthFallingApart

Hm. I don't think it's the inverse........ Either way, I rather like your quote better.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
Hm. I don't think it's the inverse........ Either way, I rather like your quote better.

Inverse not in meaning but delivery.

And I can't take credit for it, the author is some unknown person who was taking a poo and inspirationally wrote that

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Not sure why this debate is still going, I think the very first reply pretty much ends this debate. There are debates on both sides that deny logic. Coming from a neutral stance on religion (I don't believe in God, nor do I believe there is no God), I can honestly say that I have seen ignorance on both sides. However, I have seen logic on both sides too. Probably why I'm neutral, right? In fact, there's an excellent christian video here on ATS that is very logically put together that I watched the other day.

To be totally honest with you, I have actually seen more ignorance on the athiest side of the battle. Not really thinking out the counter debate and assuming the christian is ignorant and is automically going to come back with "well, its magic!". Kind of like what you're saying and from the sounds of it, you make the same assumption. We're all going to come back with "God pulls bunnies out of his hat, okay?!".

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Because we like to talk

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I have to agree with the OP in that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of logic in organized religeon, and there are varying reasons for this. Spirituality on its own , can be a great thing. Most religions are peaceful and promote a peaful way of life. But when you ritualize these spiritual things, they become dangerous. You get human sacrifice, the Inquisitions, wars, etc. Religion has been and will continue to be a tool to control and pacify the masses. Governments have changed religious text to suit there own needs for thousands of years, and not only that, simple human error has played a huge part. Back to the point. A few things I have a hard time reconciling: If God is Omnipotent, know all, sees all, what is and ever will be, why did he create the whole mess anyway? If he knew he was going to destroy Sodom and Gommorah, why let them exist at all? Why get mad if he knew from the beginning tat they'd be corrupted? If he knew that Adam and Eve would defy Him, why even tell them about the tree? It's like giving your kid a crapload of sugar, and then getting mad at him for being hyper. Makes no sense. Totally nullifies free will. That, or God is Fallable. Other things, it pointedly says in the bible that Christ is the son of God, not God Himself. Although it does say that Christ is the light and the way, it doesn't make him God, it makes us Idolators, does it not? Why would God on the Cross ask himself "Why hast thou forsaken me?" Why do we worship the son of God, and not God Himself? Christ preached the word of God, not of Himself as far as we know. I don't get the idea from reading the bible that he intended to be deified. Another thing, if the Bible is the unequvocal word of God, why didn't he see fit to put in and gospels from his own Son? Why isn't there a Gospel of Jesus?
Because The bible has been altered by politicians, human errror and embellishment. Therefore it is no longer the infallable word of God. That's not to say that religious people are all illogical, I just have a problem with alot of the concepts preached by organized religion. I believe that religion has done many great things, and has been responsible for some of the greatest works of art, architecture and music, but it has also been at the forefront of some of the world's worst atrocities.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
Religion is the science of defeating logical thinking

Religion is the science of defeating logical thinking: Yes.
Logical thinking is the science of defeating religion: No.

You are assuming that the grid of logical thinking is universal and all-encompassing. I think that is a bold assumption. The real question is: what are the limits of logic?

plus.maths.org...

[edit on 10-10-2009 by Nichiren]

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join