It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i have to take my sons dog and have him put down on thursday

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
and it blows. my son has had this dog for 10 years but he is not doing so well.
he has diabetes that they can not control. he has a skin condition. he has a thyroid condition and he is blind.

he is just the coolest dog and i hate to do it but he is miserable. i am taking him cause my sons mom can't handle it. i know i am going to cry like a baby too.

ever have to put down an animal?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry.

That takes a lot of stregnth to do.

We lost ours a month ago. We new she was running out of steam at the begining of the summer. She seemed healthy though. In August though, she got real sick. She had been drinking water like crazy for the past few months. Man, she got real sick. We thought we were going to loose her. Took her in, and the Doc kept her for the night to hydrate her and watch her kidneys. He thought kidney failure. I had major kidney issues myself so I know first hand how painfull it is. That broke me hard. I knew that if that was the case I would have to put her down. We found out that her kidneys were ok, well as ok as they would be for her age. I was so glad because I honestly didnt know if I could do it. He told us that if we wanted we could have her xrayd and all, but being as old as she was there was nothing they could do anyway. He gave us some pain killers to give her so she wouldnt hurt and rehydrated her. She had a really good day. Went for a car ride played with the kids the works. The next morning, she made sure to see my husband off to work. She then layed down on the floor next to my boys while they played their video games (it was her favorite spot). Then she started crying and awefull cry. I went down and held her and she stoped crying and seemed to calm down since I was there. But then she stopped breathing. She had a heart attack.

I feel very blessed to have been able to hold her while she took her last breath. To give her that comfort. It hurt like hell, but Im still glad I could be there with her as it did give her so much comfort.

By putting your dog down, you will be able to give it that comfort. You dont take a chance of your dog having to go through that alone in a painfull and scary way. Yea, it hurts. BUT you can do this for the dog that has been such a good companion for your son. You will leave feeling not just broken hearted but honored too.

Again, Im very sorry.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
thanks.....
i plan to hold him while it goes down

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Sorry, I seemed to have rattled on and on about me in your thread. That was rude. She was my first dog, I wasnt expecting it to hurt like that. Still a bit emotional I guess.

You are a very good person to do that for your pup. You have a very big heart.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Yes I had to put a dog down. just the other day in fact. I am sorry for both of your losses. Pets are as much a part of my family as the people, so it hits hard when animals die for me.

Bandit was 15. Which is pretty darn old for a dog. He was 1/3rd German Shepard, 2/3rds some other mutt (like an elk hound looking mixed dog). He has been my best buddy since puppyhood. But in the last few months he got a growth on his leg, and it just got to be too bad. We had him put down, but he needed it. He was in pain. I have also lost a cat recently, she was killed by wild animals. I will see them again in Valhalla or the next life or whatever happens.

This is a good idea for a thread. share our sad animals stories with each other, could be a good vent for us. And maybe we could have a different thread for happy animal stories. and if we already do; could i have a link?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I had to put three dogs down.

1 got hit by a car and was somehow still alive

1 got snake bit

1 got stomped on by a bull.

Be happy you have the luxery of taking your pet to the vet. I had to put all 3 of mine down with a .22 to the head.

I still tear up a little thinking about the pain in their eyes before I pulled the trigger.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Best of luck in dealing with your situation. I'm going to be forced to deal with a whole litter soon. If there is one negative to living "rural", it's having to deal with people dumping strays off in the country all the time. Man up, bums..

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Sorry to hear that man.

I had to make that gut wrenching decision back in 2005 when my boy came down with a rare form of canine cancer. He could hardly walk, one eye has swollen completely shut and the doctors gave him little to no hope of recovery.

I had him for ten years, he was my best friend. One of the hardest days of my life.

I hope your son handles it better than I did. I think kids are more accepting of death than a lot of us adults. Best of luck.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by BlackOps719]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I had to do this about 15 years ago. My husband at the time had found this puppy at work sickly full of fleas. He brought him home. Got rid of the fleas took care of him for 14 years. Our girls named him Devilin because he was a such an ornery little guy when he was a pup.

One day we noticed he had a lump. The vet tried to get the lump out for it was cancerous. She couldn't get the lump out and complications set in from the surgery. It came to a choice of him dieing in 24 hours a painful death or putting him down.

I had to make the call the rest of the family couldn't do it. I know I did the right thing. He didn't deserve to suffer all the pain. Making that call and living with putting him down is one of the hardest things I have done even if I know it was for his best. Even though I know that either way he would of died. It's still something that bothers me even today .

My heart goes out to you and your family. It's not an easy thing to have to do. Even though you are doing the right thing its such a hard thing.

It's alright to cry just be careful driving on the way home tears and traffic don't mix.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Like a family member an animal can be.
Take him to a reiki healer, or qi healer, and see what can be done.
Namaste
Good luck

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
i'm pretty broken up about it. i mean technically it's my sons dog but i have been around him since he was a pup. my dog is his mother so i watched him be born and all that. out of 8 babies he was the only blonde one.

i feel really terrible...like tomorrow i am going to be walking him down the green mile and the poor boy is not gonna know whats coming......

i feel like a terrible person

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by thing fish

I cry just thinking about it. The joy of having a loving pet...unfortunately comes with this price.

I was going to ask how old your son is, then I realized he's had the dog for ten years...so it would seem he's able to comprehend this.

Found this:

Should I tell my child the truth – that our pet died – or say that it ran away or was stolen?

Be truthful with your child. Children can tell if a parent is lying. Even if they don’t question you outright, they can become confused & anxious, & very young children have trouble putting their doubts into words. Telling a child that his or her pet ran away can create anxiety, depression & guilt; young children in particular may believe they did something to make the pet afraid or stop loving them. If the pet was ill, gently explain that the animal was too sick or in too much pain to live any longer. If an accident killed the pet, say that the animal was hurt to badly to survive.

www.cpvh.com...

Hope it helps....

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
my son will be 13 next week. i think he is going to come to the vet with me so he can be there with his dog in his final moments

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Again, sorry. I'm a dog AND cat person, and lost my cat just last year.....

I know it's rough - but I think also it's agood idea to take your son. For both of you.....

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
i just feel terrible.
he is such a good dog and i hate to do this. he is just miserable though you know.
he can't see but he still looks right at you. it's gonna be hard

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Over three years ago I had to make the decision to put my dog down.

He'd been not very well and not eating for a little while and the vet gave me some medicine but my dog didn't get any better.

The next time I took him he needed to be rehydrated which meant leaving him at the vet's surgery overnight. It broke me up to be told that he'd been thirsty but couldn't drink. I'd tried to put a spoonful of water into his mouth the previous day, but he wouldn't take it.

Anyway, he had a scan or an xray and didn't need to be sedated for it as he was so still and quiet. It turned out he had cancer in his stomach. That made the decision to have him 'put to sleep' very easy.

He was about 14 - I'd adopted him from an elderly friend when he was about 11 - and he'd had the best life I could give him. Up until just before the end I always felt that he was still interested in life, but in that last week I jut got the feeling that he was 'sipping the dregs'.

A friend and I were with him when he died. He was a very thick set Staffordshire Bull Terrier and too heavy to put on a table so he was given the injection while he was lying on the floor. We were on either side of him, holding him.

I decided to give him a proper funeral - it cost a lot of money but I never regretted it. I couldn't bear to think of him just being thrown out the back of the vet's and carted off to a communal cremation.

The owner of the pet cemetery gave us a lift and on the way reassured me that I'd made the right decision. He pointed out that you wouldn't expect your ninety-odd year old granny to try and fight off cancer.

My dog was in a coffin covered by a blanket when we got there. I didn't uncover him, but I was able to say goodbye.

After he'd been put in the ground we were left for a few moments before the grave was filled in. And just as we were standing there saying the final, final farewell some May blossom blew over us. A great cloud of it. And all the trees were so far away, I don't know how it blew over to us.

I know I made the correct decision to have him put down although it was very hard to explain to the lady I adopted him from. She was expecting it but was obviously still very upset.

I'll never regret being there with him when he died and I'm grateful to know that he's buried somewhere properly.

If you can, definitely make sure your son comes to say 'goodbye' and help the dog pass over. If it's possible, it really helps to know that they are resting somewhere peacefully afterwards.

I hope it goes smoothly for you. It's going to be hard, but you are doing the kindest thing to help your dog avoid unnecessary suffering. Honestly, your feelings or those of your son have to 'take a back seat' for the sake of the dog.

I didn't expect to get another dog for ages afterwards, but 'something' nudged me into finding the dog I have now. He'd suffered a lot in his life before he was abandoned and then rescued.

I don't think you can just 'replace' pets as if they are commodities, but I had a space in my life and I've always been grateful to be able to take on the little monster in my avatar.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I think Berenike said it all in her lovely post really, but I just wanted to add that I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this. I've been there three times too, so I know how much it hurts. It's like losing a soul mate for me...hurts much more than humans sometimes....and I don't care if I get grilled for that. It's' all about the fact that we take the decision to move them over, and we think that they will hate us for it. They won't. Mine have always felt release and relief immediately...I can see and hear them, and the joy they feel. Don't give yourself a hard time for helping him out.

We will all be thinking about you.

Much love

Cait

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
thanks for all the advice guys.
i still feel so bad...i really don't want to do this. i have to but i don't want to.
my boy is gonna be crushed

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Another thought just for a minute. Is there any point in taking him to another vet for a second opinion? I know that vets are expensive, but a consultation wouldn't cost too much. Blindness shouldn't be a problem..they adapt. My last dog was blind at 8 months and lived till 16, with almost no problems. Also look at homopathy and other natural remedies for dogs. My boy had a really bad skin issue till we took him off food with wheat in it. I'm grasping at straws here,for you, but I would do the same with mine, and 10 is not old even for a big dog. Make some phone calls and get online and google like mad...try everything....you still have a day, and if nothing comes up, you know you did everything you could.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by caitlinfae]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I found this alternative remedy for dog diabetes. I don't know if it would help, but it would be worth reading about it.

www.vetionx.com...

The thyroid problem would seem a bit more difficult to treat:

answers.yahoo.com...

[edit on 30-9-2009 by berenike]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join