It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so i went to an AA meeting tonight....what a load

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
not so much for me but to support this female friend of mine that has to go.

i didn't know AA was all about the religion. the booklet you get has 12 steps and all 12 mention god. you have to start the meeting off by saying the serenety prayer.
then you get to sit there for an hour and listen to the lead in talk about how she used to get wrecked in cheap irish bars in south boston and throw up through her nose. then you get to end the evening by saying the lords prayer while all holding hands of course.

what a load. i bought a sixer as soon as i got out of there

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by thing fish

Well tf, in this case it's more about your friend so hopefully she finds it useful to her recovery.

Howver if she feels the same way you do there are alternatives: www.mentalhelp.net...

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

oh dude she is just going cause it is court ordered. she has to do AA 3 times a week and an outpatient program for 26 weeks. she still drinks like a fish. she is a lush too. loses hundreds of dollars. comes home with bruises on her arms and stuff like that.
i mean she is good people and i love her to death but AA is doing nothing for her. i figured i'd go with to try and lend a little support but it's kinda hard when you're not buying into what they are selling you know

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Oh, I see ...

Yeah, hard if not impossible to help someone who has no interest in helping themselves.

It's good of you to be there for her, just be careful she doesn't drag you down with herself.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Oh, I see ...

Yeah, hard if not impossible to help someone who has no interest in helping themselves.

It's good of you to be there for her, just be careful she doesn't drag you down with herself.

i drink a lot but i am not to the point where i need intervention. i have never had a dui. i don't drink and drive. i don't miss work cause of it but i do hit the hooch.

like i said she is good people she just has herself a problem. most of the time i drink with her just to keep her under control. she has been a long time friend and i have kinda watched her unravel

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Some AA meetings are more structured than others. There is an AA meeting place in almost every town in the U.S. Maybe you should try another one that is not so pompous. I have been to AA meetings where we might read the ten steps, than just sit around and talk about whatever. Usually, at some point, the chairperson will try to get the group back into AA topics. Doesn't always work.

Court ordered AA sucks, cause you know they will be checking to make sure all the required meetings are attended. Court ordered anything sucks.

Even if you don't get into what the program is all about, you might meet some interesting people there. I like subculture stuff, so I enjoy going, though I can't say I have any sobriety days.

new topics

top topics

join