It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright Star next to the moon?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The last couple of months i have noticed a very bright star/planet/sattelite to the south. At first i thought it was the space station but now im not so sure because i see it every niight. Tonight it is to the south, about a thumbnails distance below the moon. I live on Long Island Ny, does anyone have any idea what it is?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I think that it is jupiter. it has been there all summer. it will disappear soon for us.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
it could be just what you said, A bright star. stars are very numerous and could pop up anywhere.

Btw, i see exactly what your talking about. it looks to be directly under the moon. not flickering or moving. but still doesn't seem to be anything other then a star or quite possibly a planet.

[edit on 29-9-2009 by Doc Tesla]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

link   
Venus
Sorry I have no idea what to say for the next line. besides, a one word answer is all thats required.
OOOH look at this, I still managed to type more than one line, infact it is turning into many lines.

link   
Probably a planet, Venus, Jupiter, or Uranus.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
it's probably Jupiter. Should be the brightest thing in the sky besides the moon at night.

[edit on 9/29/2009 by JPhish]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Ah yes. I started it seeing as well starting, I think, beginning of Augustevery night (or morning) starting around 5AM. I was a bit intruiged by it too so I snapped some pics and showed to a friend, but later found out it was just Jupiter.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
interesting thanks guys

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Yes, im looking at it - Jupiter - right now.

If you go to STELLARIUM and download their free program, you can see everything in the skies above you right now, from your location! Have fun with it

[edit on September 29th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

That is very cool, I will have to ask my husband if I can download that on my computer.

The odd thing I noted was not Jupiter, but the shape of the moon. Is it just me or does it look more egg shape? I know that it is only a partial moon, but it is like something else is casting a shadow on the other side as well making it more egg shape.

Anyone else notice that?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
A crescent and a star...hmmm...perhapsThe Mahdi is about to pay us a visit...

Or maybe not.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

2 nights ago there were bright red flashes 8-9pm on the eastern side of the moon, no clouds or planes nor helicopters. If it was a "plane", it was stationary, and way above the atmosphere, the flashes were as bright as Jupiter but red.

Anyone else see this??

HADES

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I was just about to say something about that too! I have noticed that bright light in the sky as well, and I thought it looked out of place. Nibiru?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by leira7

Hi Leira7,

There is an act on synhronicity right now, the red flashes were between Jupiter and the moon, happenstance it was the dark side of the moon. I know it's not a terestrial "plane" as there were no designated "flashing white or blue lights" as per the standard rules for night time navigation.

HADES

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
wow,,, i was just remarking about this an hour ago on my back porch with brother and gf,,,,, i've never seen or noticed it b4 tonite and it certainly looked out of place,,,, as in so close to the moon

thanks,,, nice to know it's jupiter

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by leira7
I was just about to say something about that too! I have noticed that bright light in the sky as well, and I thought it looked out of place. Nibiru?

No, it is not Nibiru. It is Jupiter.
If everyone would download the software, you would be able to see everything above you

Here is what Im seeing right now, screen shot of Stellarium:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d2ad3a5ce102.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on September 29th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
nice! they even have it for mac

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Hey all.
I was leaving work, I'm a photographer, and I thought I would take some photos of the moon and Jupiter.

FYI this is a composite of 2 photos. One to have the moon details, the other for the planet and stars. Can only have one or the other in a photo. i.e. if you expose for the stars, the moon is washed out. If you expose for the moon, stars do not show up. (Thus the reason no stars in the moon landing vids. That is if that was real anyways.
)

So... here ya go!

NIKON D3
400mm lens
ISO 3200 for planet/stars; f/4; 1/30 sec
ISO 800 for moon; f/8; 1/1500 sec

BTW, if you have some binocs, you can see a couple of the moons. My 10x42's work pretty decently.

EDITS: Removed junk text, as I learned to post images correctly. YAY!
[edit on 29-9-2009 by Contagion2012]

[edit on 29-9-2009 by Contagion2012]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Hi Greeneyedleo,

The red flashes were "between" Jupiter and the moon as seen from Sydney monday night.

HADES

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join