It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Average Speed Cameras - Anyone Been Fined?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
In the UK we have average speed cameras that read your registration plate at various points over measured distances and supposedly issue speeding fines.

I know lots of people that say they just drive through the zones at any speed without a fine. Are the cameras just dummies or are they tracking where everyone drives? Maybe they are just very unreliable.

Has anyone had a fine issued?

[edit on 29/9/2009 by LightFantastic]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Not heard of anyone being fined, but I do notice more people slow down for them rather than the usual hard brake and accelerate afterward. They still brake hard, and accelerate, but the correct speed is held for a bit longer.
I consider myself a careful driver, who (tries) to obey the speed limit, and I think they work just fine, even if they turn out to be dummies.
Especially going through roadworks on the motorways

Wouldn't want them Everywhere though!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

Heard about these cameras - to my knowledge, they have not been implemented in SA yet. Have to admit, they seem to take a lot of the fun out of driving these days.
And it's becoming dangerous! We have become so used to scanning for speed traps that we pay less attention to the actual act of driving.

Let's face it, most speed limitations are way too slow - especially on highways. My pickup truck cruises comfortably at 140km/h for goodness sake - 120km/h feels way too slow.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I have had the cameras flash me on the A1 on the way to Berwick upon Tweed down south on the Scottish borders. I have had the cameras flash me in Edinburgh too and all in all I have been flashed maybe six times in all.

I have never had any letter come through my door let alone received a fine.

I got scanned with the mobile radar gun though, and I received a fine and two points on my licence for that one. I was spitting fire because one car driving in the opposite direction had tried to warn me by flashing his lights at me.

I thought he was a nutter and ignored him

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I saw this, which is very interesting

SPECS speed cameras, how to avoid points and fines

and this

Average Speed Cameras

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I just put my foot on the break when i see one XD

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
My dad recently got warned due to 2 Police standing on a blind-corner with one of these devices. I told him simply he was in the RIGHT as not only should they have been completely visible to ALL traffic and wearing flourescent gear, they also dont have any authority to fine him had he be deemed speeding as there is no visual proof of who was driving the vehicle.

I told him its just another scam to get yet more money from taxpayers pockets by picking easy targets and if it happens again to take a camera with him and report the 2 offending officers to the Police Complaints Board, failing that take it to the local newspaper and tell them what the taxpayers money is really being spent on when all our homes are being broken into, as commuters are being targeted simply for going 2mph over the limit.

top topics

join