It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Empire State Building to Celebrate Communism!

page: 1
3
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
They are going to celebrate communism in China with the lights in the top of the building! New York City for gods sake, WE ARE FUNDAMENTALLY AGAINST COMMUNISM I THOUGHT!

Full Story Below:
www.theadmonition.com...

You can also find it on ABC:
www.abc.net.au...


At least we can be comforted by the fact that the White House will not fly the Chinese Flag after people protested it:
www.foxnews.com...

Wow, where are we going in this country??




posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by memarf1
They are going to celebrate communism in China with the lights in the top of the building! New York City for gods sake, WE ARE FUNDAMENTALLY AGAINST COMMUNISM I THOUGHT!


They're not celebrating "Communism" but the 60th Anniversary of "Communist China".


The Chinese consul, Peng Keyu, and other officials will take part in the lighting ceremony which will bathe the skyscraper in the colours of the People's Republic until Thursday, Empire State Building representatives said in a statement.


There is a difference.
Anywho, communism, capitalism, socialism, whatever. They are all being used to take away our freedom. They're just names. What's the difference if the government is calling the shots or some corporation. They both make me sick.



posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
China probably forced the issue with Sec.Clinton on her last visit. Mark our anniversary with lights on the Empire State Building,or we'll cash out all the treasuries we are holding against your worthless currency.

Just guessing...lol... What's next? Celebrate Paul Pot's birthday?



posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by memarf1
They are going to celebrate communism in China with the lights in the top of the building! New York City for gods sake, WE ARE FUNDAMENTALLY AGAINST COMMUNISM I THOUGHT!


Who's WE?

Btw, I think they put up a couple of flags during the olympics ... but shush, some folk apparently don't know the cold war is over.



posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Yeah all that's missing is a poster of Mao up there. What the hell is wrong with these morons. Can't wait for Hitler Stalin Napoleon Day.


[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]



posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by memarf1
They are going to celebrate communism in China with the lights in the top of the building! New York City for gods sake, WE ARE FUNDAMENTALLY AGAINST COMMUNISM I THOUGHT!


Who's WE?

Btw, I think they put up a couple of flags during the olympics ... but shush, some folk apparently don't know the cold war is over.


Communism has some good ideas, quit listening to what is told by the media, and do some research on it. Stop basing your opinions on what everyone else says.

What is so bad about communism?

Oh this is directed at the OP not the person I replied to. I quoted this person because I agree with the statement, who's we. I don't hate any ideology, and I'm open to any of them.



posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by memarf1
 


The flag was never going to fly at the White House in the first place, it wasn't canceled due to protests


As for the Empire State Building, as far as I know it's the owners who decide what colors it will be lit in, not the President or Sec. Clinton



posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by memarf1
They are going to celebrate communism in China with the lights in the top of the building! New York City for gods sake, WE ARE FUNDAMENTALLY AGAINST COMMUNISM I THOUGHT!


Who's WE?

Btw, I think they put up a couple of flags during the olympics ... but shush, some folk apparently don't know the cold war is over.


Communism has some good ideas, quit listening to what is told by the media, and do some research on it. Stop basing your opinions on what everyone else says.

What is so bad about communism?

Oh this is directed at the OP not the person I replied to. I quoted this person because I agree with the statement, who's we. I don't hate any ideology, and I'm open to any of them.


I agree. People seem to confuse socialism or communism with Totalitarianism.
Not only that, on this site, I've seen Communism, Socialism, and Fascism used interchangeably - such as, "Obama's a Communist Fascist... blah..blah..."

It helps when you read words in a newspaper or hear them on TV to do a little research.



posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by really
 


Definitely some interesting responses here. I know the difference between the ideologies, but the U.S. has been against communism since it's inception and economically speaking we know a central planner to be a poor substitute for a free market.

I am not denying there are some good ideas in Socialism, but I do not believe you would want to say that about Communism and would even go as far as to say that we are fundamentally against Communism. Capitalism also has it's own evils so in my opinion we need some sort of a mix between Capitalism and Socialism, but we are against Socialism at this point. For that matter we are against any "Pure" ideology.

It is interesting that the United States and Europe seem to be adopting socialist policies while China seems to have begun adopting Capitalist ones. Maybe some day we will meet in the middle.

I realize the cold war is over but only because of the fall of the Berlin Wall and the fall of the Soviet Union(A Communist Regime). We were against them because they were communist and had trade sanctions against China for the same reason until only a couple of decades ago. Maybe we should all do some reading about that era, it is a complex issue.



posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
they change those lights all the time.

here's the schedule:
www.esbnyc.com...


they also light it up for christmas, channukah, alzheimer's, juvenile diabetes etc.

they lit up all blue and orange a few seconds before the knicks blew the championship, big mistake on their part.

it's a bunch of colored lights honoring all kinds of things.

I can see it from my office. it's pretty. who cares what it represents? the empire state building is owned by a limited partnership and the management company is wein and malkin. they don't represent the gov't, they represent the empire state building and the various partners who own it.

I could care less about something as trivial as the lights on the empire state building. paying attention to this when there are so many, more pressing issues in the world, is pointless.



posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by memarf1
reply to post by really
 


Definitely some interesting responses here. I know the difference between the ideologies, but the U.S. has been against communism since it's inception and economically speaking we know a central planner to be a poor substitute for a free market.

I am not denying there are some good ideas in Socialism, but I do not believe you would want to say that about Communism and would even go as far as to say that we are fundamentally against Communism. Capitalism also has it's own evils so in my opinion we need some sort of a mix between Capitalism and Socialism, but we are against Socialism at this point. For that matter we are against any "Pure" ideology.

It is interesting that the United States and Europe seem to be adopting socialist policies while China seems to have begun adopting Capitalist ones. Maybe some day we will meet in the middle.

I realize the cold war is over but only because of the fall of the Berlin Wall and the fall of the Soviet Union(A Communist Regime). We were against them because they were communist and had trade sanctions against China for the same reason until only a couple of decades ago. Maybe we should all do some reading about that era, it is a complex issue.


Just so you know, I wasn't pointing you out as one of those people.
That being said, you are entirely right about China adopting certain capitalist principles. When Hong Kong went back to China, the Chinese decided to not interfere with the Capitalist hub the Brits had set up there. Soon enough, the Chinese government starting making Shanghai into Hong Kong Two - Electric Boogaloo.

Here, in the US, we have many socialist programs.
I've said it before on a couple of other threads - all of these political and economic ideologies are just tools for a government to use to maintain a healthy society for its people.

I do not agree with one thing that you mentioned. As schrodinger's dog already mentioned, "who is we?" Yes, there are plenty of Americans flying off the handle about Socialism nowadays. Some, I believe, have no idea what they're talking about. Others, have done their research and have come to their own conclusion.
I do agree that the American Government was very much against communism throughout most of the 20th century. There are a million Supreme Court cases to prove this (ok, at least 10).

Then again, apparently many bigwigs on Wall Street helped finance the Bolshevik Revolution, apparently. So, once again, who is the "we" that you speak of?

Edited for big booboo.

[edit on 29-9-2009 by really]



posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
they change those lights all the time.

here's the schedule:
www.esbnyc.com...


they also light it up for christmas, channukah, alzheimer's, juvenile diabetes etc.

they lit up all blue and orange a few seconds before the knicks blew the championship, big mistake on their part.

it's a bunch of colored lights honoring all kinds of things.

I can see it from my office. it's pretty. who cares what it represents? the empire state building is owned by a limited partnership and the management company is wein and malkin. they don't represent the gov't, they represent the empire state building and the various partners who own it.

I could care less about something as trivial as the lights on the empire state building. paying attention to this when there are so many, more pressing issues in the world, is pointless.



True that. It was the first big skyscraper my father took me up to the top of when I was a littl'un. Growing up in Queens and driving over the Williamsburg Bridge to go out at night in the city, the Empire State is one of the most beautiful buildings at night because of all of those colorful lights.



posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by really
 


I realized you were pointing me out as one of "those" people. I assure you I am not, and am one of the "Other" people who has done my own research and drawn my own conclusions. The "We" that I speak of is the general populous and the powers that attempt to pull the wool over those peoples eyes.

I am an economist so really I should stick to economical arguments of which there is no reputable economist that thinks a central planner to be the best form of government. More-so it bothers me that we would celebrate a regime like Communist China. They have so many human and animal rights violations in the past century that I don't even know where to begin. I'll just stick with the following videos and links and hope that you realize communism is simply a bad form of government.

For your consideration:

en.wikipedia.org...'s_Republic_of_China

www.christusrex.org...

www.amnestyusa.org...






posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by memarf1
reply to post by really
 


I realized you were pointing me out as one of "those" people.


I apologize - that should have read "I wasn't pointing you out...."

I don't know enough about you to point you out as one of those people.
As for the human and animal rights violations - I am in complete agreement.



posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by really
 


haha, thank you for pointing that out, I did not take offense anyway though.



posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by memarf1
 


Wow the cruelty video makes me want to put those idiots in crates and throw them around.



posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
China probably forced the issue with Sec.Clinton on her last visit. Mark our anniversary with lights on the Empire State Building,or we'll cash out all the treasuries we are holding against your worthless currency.

Just guessing...lol... What's next? Celebrate Paul Pot's birthday?



Are you seriously suggesting they would blackmail the U.S. into lighting up a building red for them?



posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
To me it's not about communism but honoring the anniversary of a regime that controlled, harmed, and killed so many innocents in the tens of millions. Today it is believed statistically China executes more of its own citizens than all the countries of the world combined. The 60th anniversary of this state is nothing to be celebrated if one researches what this country has done during its 60 year of existence.

What it really looks like to me is a betrayal of our own conscience for the sake of issuing feigned respect for an entity that 'owns' us. It's like kissing up to a boss you hate that might have killed a few kids while drunk driving or who regularly beats his wife and molests his children because he currently finances your mortgage.

I understand the Empire State Building is not federal property. My issue is also not with communism. It is with honoring something, even with something as mundane as a lighted building, that deserves no honor.



posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD
 


Be careful with that one Ash ... there are very few, if any, nations, cultures, and religions with clean hands ... including our own.



posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog
 


I understand. But this thread is about China and what is occurring now as we type. Not other countries today or what happened centuries ago with other countries.

People can be garbage and evil regimes have existed throughout time. But since this thread is about China, I will be discussing China.

It's fair to call a spade a spade without having to bring up all the other spades in a thread that is one spade specific.



new topics

top topics



 
3
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join