It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No USA Flag Waving at Athens Olympics

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Being humble with your pride is not be betraying your country. I agree that to change because of fear is bad, but change would be good. You can say with pride 'We won!' but don't go overboard saying "WE WON!! WE WON!! WE WON!! WE WON!! WE WON!! WE WON!! WE WON!! WE WON!! WE WON!! WE WON!! WE WON!! WE WON!!" It's when you don't say anything that is cowardous.

Before 9/11 America wouldn't change because there was no threat, no need to change. Now there is a threat and a need to change but America can't change because it would be viewed as cowardous.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Well mayeb a couple more we won the 1. But yeah i agree with the basic idea.

Us changin is not being cowarly its letting the terrorist win by changing. I mean look at Spain.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I have a bad feeling about the Olympic Games in Athens, i hope im wrong, but if you ask me, somethings bound to go wrong, we've just seen a couple of bombs go off in the past week or so.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
zero_snaz

nothing has changed, theres no need to change, terrorists have been a problem since the early 80's and anyways why should we? to appeal to everyone else outside of america? you act as if every other country knows better, we arent arrogant, i've seen the way other countries crowds act when they are the host country and have won an event, its hardly any different with the rest of the world than us, youre arrogant to say we should act "better", thats what you seem to imply by your posts, stop acting like you know whats good for americans, im tired of people from other countries thinking they know better than americans, we're all no different and noone should HAVE to be humble about anything, or HAVE to change.

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by namehere]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Well, I think it is a bad idea for us Americans to celebrate at the Olympics. After all, the world is sick of our arrogance and imperialistic bullying and we should try to be more sensitive to those less fortunate than us. Who in the heck do we think we are, anyway?

As a amtter of fact, if we happen to win a medal we should apologize to the rest of the world.

Yeah, I got your apology right here!

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
zero_snaz

nothing has changed, theres no need to change, terrorists have been a problem since the early 80's and anyways why should we?

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by namehere]

Nothing has changed? Have you been to the airport since 9/11? Have you heard of the Patriot Act, the Department of Homeland Security? A lot has changed I am sorry to say.

I think this is to try and stop a repeat of the 4x100m celebration from the last Olympics.

In case you don't remember let me quote the Washington Post for you, "Americans Behaving Badly: The Egos Have Landed
The U.S. 4x100 relay team crossed the line from excessive celebration to excessive self-promotion, writes Sally Jenkins." www.washingtonpost.com...
This was said of course said before anyone was worried about terrorism.

It is things like this that can raise the ire of the internatinal community and this is the thing the USOC is trying to prevent.

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by greenkoolaid]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by deevee
The U.S. Olympic comitte has advised Americans to refrain from the jingoistic flag waving that has become a staple of the Olympics

I mean, who the hell wants to be a target?

BTW, I do like the above picture---kinda like superheroes. I don't think that picture alone amounts to showing off but, coupled withthe other things they did, they made us look kinda bad.

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by Colonel]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I wouldn't call waving your own flag as "jingoistic". Also, whats wrong with celebrating your victory? If you just won an international competition, I don't think you're not going to be excited!

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
stop acting like you know whats good for americans, im tired of people from other countries thinking they know better than americans

Yes I am from another country, I was born in Canada and have lived on the border, the 3rd (I think) busiest land border between Canada and the USA all my life. I interact with Americans on a daily bases. A five minute walk and I can stand at the border I have an american parent and half of my extended family lives in the USA. I have traveled through more of the USA then Canada. I have American Citizenship something I made the concious choice about swearing an oath before an immigration officer. I wasn't born into america I went to it and asked to be part of it. But I guess that makes me a second class citizen since I can never fullfil the american dream of becoming president. I was going to work in the states pre 9/11 (A list of job interviews started on that day and I had to cancel them). I feel proud to be part of both countries but maybe my opinion is less valuable because I have experienced life through more then one view point. It is 'america' that bugs me not 'americans' specifically and the best change is the change that comes from within.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TallShaffer
I wouldn't call waving your own flag as "jingoistic". Also, whats wrong with celebrating your victory? If you just won an international competition, I don't think you're not going to be excited!

It becomes jingoistic when rather than a celebration of your own pride it becomes an in your face taunt "WE ARE THE GREATEST" along the lines of a WWE nee WWF extravaganza. Without passing judgement on this phenomenon I will only say that it only works in America. The rest of the world is put off by it.

Whatever happened to congratulating your honorable opponent rather than trying to humiliate him further by rubbing his face in the dirt.

This "we win FU attitude" has I'm sure influenced the American treatment of Iraqi prisoners.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
This flag waving rule is just bull$hit. Someone has been dropped when they were young at the Olympics. Wave Old Glory, scew the Olymic rule makers.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Ah, global ignorance reaches new heights. US citizens are encourage to be apathetic sheep! Big surprise there...."Let's be good sports, and let the other guys fel special, too." Please. Its a competition. Cheer your team, because you want to see them win EVERYTHING. The best possible scenario is everyone but your home team going home sad losers. SO CHEER!!!!

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Bull# I say, Bull# !!!!!!!

Not only should American's wave the flags, I think everyone should wear only clothes with the good ole Red White and Blue on them, and the athletes, definitly carrying flags, waving them proudly, wearing the beloved Red White and Blue.

I'm very angry about this !

If the American flag can't be waved and celebrated in Triumph and possibly humble defeat, then I say don't even participate in the olympic games, as a matter of fact just cancel the games all together.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Since when is civic pride a "negative" thing?

I think the real problem here is the lack of security preparation surrounding the Games. They ain't ready for an event of this magnitude and, at the current rate, won't be ready by the opening ceremonies.

Maybe they should've just told the truth and said "Don't wave flags around because then the bad guys will know exactly who to attack and it'll make the Olympic Committee look real bad."

Sheesh.

-B.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I still think that an athlete waving his nation's flag isn't jingoistic. If the whole rub-it-in-your face attitude should be dropped, then the giving of medals should be removed. As well as placing people, and how about America doesn't attend Olympics ever again?

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Its ridiculous to ask the US not to wave their flag. If you want to stop people waving flags, stop them all. Don't just point at one. Yes, Americans are proud of their flag (as we in Britain would be if it wasn't for the stupid PC brigade). Why shouldn't they be allowed to show their support of their team ?

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Thank you Pisky, this is political correctness at it's worst! A proud day for Al Frankin and his ilk. Maybe the US should sandbag a couple of events and let Syria Or Pakistan win! Hell, maybe the US athlete could take out some of the other competitors to make sure. And then the whole US team could come out and grab flags from the winning country and kneel in supplication! Golly gee wouldn't the rest of the world be proud of those humble Americans!

What an effen bunch of bull#e!!!

USA! USA! USA!

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee[

I think the real problem here is the lack of security preparation surrounding the Games. They ain't ready for an event of this magnitude and, at the current rate, won't be ready by the opening ceremonies.

That has to be a HUGE factor. How can security be guaranteed when there are serious doubts about the venues even being ready?

I see it more like not being drunk and boisterous in a foreign bar. It's just common sense. At home, that's be what thou wilt.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Nice post elevated one except...

If we all dress in american flags in Athens, then we ALL will get targeted by terrorists.

Personally I think I will wear a libyan flag there.
besides its a far better designed flag, without all those tacky stars and lines on it. see... just a nice no nonsence green. At leastit doesn't look like a flag designed by kindergarten kids (now I wanna put some nice stars here, and draw some nice lines here and color it all in pretty french colors, red, white, and blue)

Better that the hardcore jingoistic foaming at the mouth nationalists get shot than the rest of us.

Secondly, if America goes home the Olympics will still continue. Just like the Moscow ones did ....

Originally posted by elevatedone
Not only should American's wave the flags, I think everyone should wear only clothes with the good ole Red White and Blue on them, and the athletes, definitly carrying flags, waving them proudly, wearing the beloved Red White and Blue.
I say don't even participate in the olympic games, as a matter of fact just cancel the games all together.

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by Netchicken]

<< 1   >>

join