It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dragon- naturally speaking software

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I thought I would share this. Hands free typing through this brand new software.
Looks like we are finally catching up to Star Trek.Just when I started to grow
a few more fingers than just two thumbs. Mods you know what to do if I presented this wrong or in the wrong place.
above top secret

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Had it for nearly a year now. It does work great when it finally learns your speach patterns.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I've had mine for a few years and I do not like it.

The system cannot keep up with me in any way whatsoever.

I have tried talking slow, like Larry, Daryll, and Daryll, but that is a waste of my time.

Considering what I spent on it, the time I spent configuring, and reconfiguring the pattern recognition of my voice to sync up with their program, I am not impressed to say the least.

I can speak slowly, this is not a problem, but when I have,....to,...speak,...like,...this,...for it to keep up, I am not going to bother, it was useless to me.

What I need are twenty to twenty-five Administrative Assistants to be following me everywhere I go writing down everything I say, as well as doing cross-reference researching for me, investigating, and doing miscellaneous errands as well.

I have seen that many different times in my dreams, having a group like this doing exactly what I just outlined, and all I have to say is when that becomes a reality I will become a multi-trillionaire.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
i partially agree with spartinking.

it has a hard time keeping up while also being accurate.

i used it back in 2004-2005 when i was writing my undergraduate thesis.

it was so-so.

i would dictate a few pages and then have to spend the time going back over what i had said fixing the copious errors generated by dragon.

some day they will be able to evolve the technology to the point were this is an effective program, it is just not there yet.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
DP.

[edit on 29-9-2009 by Animal]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Sorry guys, had mine for well over 8 years now. My father bought it for me while I was still in high school and I am now 28. I would like to say that it does not recognize certain words, which sucks. Although fun years ago, my phone can recognize more words with the voice dial than this program can. IMO.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Well, It's been a couple of years since I installed version 9 for somebody that was disabled and while it's not perfect it does work. Especially for people that have such bad arthritis like my client it means less typing and less pain. That means more productivity for them. For the rest of us the keyboard still seems to be the best input device available.

So, I'd say great software for certain applications, but still a ways to go before it we'll all be using it. Oh, yeah not to forget a tip top computer with fast drives & enough memory make a difference with this program.

[edit on 29-9-2009 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I worked with it years ago (1997, I believe) at a tech fair in which I was suppose to demonstrate bleeding edge technologies and explain what was on the horizon for various hardware after spending time with various company representatives. Basically explaining what was possible and what was soon to come.

After the two day event, I had taught Dragon to know the difference between "Eric" and "Aric" (the spelling of a friend of mine) and "Aaron" and "Erin" just by my subtile pronunciation between these words. I had taught it in my normal voice and using several accents in different profiles. Never once did use the supplied tutorial sessions. It was about 85% accurate by the close of the tech fair.

Fast forward to 2001 and I was installing networks for Doctors and they of course wanted to use it for dictation and the sales reps sold them like it was the end all be all. The doctor were very upset to find that the software had to learn their voice and they had to teach it every single medical term despite the medical terminology library.

Of the 30 or so doctors, only one understood that they had to commit time to the idea and that it could learn when I gave it the "Erin/Aaron" demo until it learned 100% to differentiate in 5 minutes.

Of course, having a cold completely destroys your main profile.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

I thought I would share this. Hands free typing through this brand new software.
Looks like we are finally catching up to Star Trek.Just when I started to grow
a few more fingers than just two thumbs. Mods you know what to do if I presented this wrong or in the wrong place.
above top secret

Man that is so old school.... were talking windows 98 old...
just to catch you up to the twenty first century...speech recognition comes with Office 2007 and is pre-loaded in the vista OS
Enabling Speech Recognition in Microsoft Word 2007 with Visual Studio 2008

.NET Framework (since version 3.0) is speech recognition, which is included by default in Microsoft Windows Vista. The Vista operating system includes a speech recognition engine based on Windows Desktop Speech technology which enables users to dictate vocal commands that can be received by applications as well as the operating system itself. To utilize Windows Vista's built-in speech recognition engine, both as a normal user and as a developer, you will need to configure the system by following the steps shown here, where you will also find also a list of supported languages.

An important consideration that we have to take into account is that most of the latest versions of Microsoft applications, particularly the Microsoft Office System 2007, support speech recognition by default. For example, you could simply launch Vista's speech engine and then open Microsoft Word 2007 to automatically enable dictation into your documents or to control UI elements in Word with vocal commands. But this is the simplest scenario; we can also programmatically control the speech engine if needed. In this article we're going to focus on how this can be done by creating a custom task pane for Microsoft Word 2007 with Visual Studio 2008. This article will help you understand the basics of the System.Speech.Recognition namespace so that you will be able to use it in your .NET applications.

Speach recognition in Office 2007 how too

[edit on 29-9-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I've been using it for years to do medical chart note dictation. My experience has been very good. I recently upgraded to 9.0 Pro and a computer with lotsa RAM (due to a catastrophic crash). Also... a better mic is key. My friend Lunis at Knowbrainer.com has been exceptionally helpful. You can get a good mic from him and other assistive software. The site also has many helpful people on it's forum. What I like is the ability to do macros. I say one word and voila, an entire page that I have constructed appears. I know which words the program has difficulty with, so I train a macro, perhaps in Spanish or Chinese language to overcome the problem. It's not perfect, but I have saved a lot of time each day and take better notes as a result because I can explain in detail what needs to be part of the record.

Take your time with the Dragon.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I bought it about 5 years ago and it was like a computerized version of mad libs.

It just never got accurate enough.

I've been considering buying a new version next year when I buy a new computer. It should be improved quite a bit after six years.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I can say that I have owned stock in the company that makes Dragon for many years and have done very well(Scansoft which then merged with Nuance). I think the future is even brighter for them. Dragon has improved significantly over the last couple of years, but at this point it is a minor part of their speech business. If you haven't tried it for a while then you should. The Windows voice rec. software is junk compared to Dragon, no comparison at all. Nuance owns the speech field. Competitors are too far behind to ever catch up.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
and i thank every one of you for posting. my decision now, i was going to get it this weakend.i think i will hold off for awhile now. thanks alot
fellow members.
you can bet i to am sold on dragon.

an obvious novice
oh for the shame of it all.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by randyvs]

top topics

join