It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Dies at the End (horror/comedy novel)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
John Dies at the End
(NOTE: The site contains some mature humor.)

John Dies at the End is a book written by Cracked.com editor, David Wong. If any of you have ever visited cracked, you might have an idea about the sort of humor on the website and in the book itself. It was written a few years ago, available online (and free), then published once. And now its being published again to wider audience i guess. (it isn't online and free anymore)

I think a number of posters here would really enjoy the actual horror factor of the book. I am having an incredibly hard time trying to summarize the plot, but I don't know how without spoiling the crap outta the story. So read the websites description below;

It’s a drug that promises an out-of-body experience with each hit. On the street they call it Soy Sauce, and users can drift across time and dimensions. But some who come back are no longer human.

Suddenly a silent, otherworldly invasion is underway, and mankind needs a hero. What it gets instead is John and David, a pair of college dropouts who can barely hold down jobs.

Can these two stop the oncoming horror in time to save humanity?

No. No, they can’t.

Has anyone else on the boards read this? If so maybe you can give a better explaination?

And if anyone is curious, you can read the blog entries on the website i linked to from first to last. it tells a sort of little extra story, with a ARG sort of event going on. And I warned you, you might consider the humor to be directed to adults. Although these adults make jokes about dongs.

Sorry if there is a topic I should put this in, so sorry if making this thread is somehow redundant.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Read it in it's many incarnations. From the original website through the Cafe Press printing, and the Permuted Press version (with actual fixes for most of the spelling errors!) And my new copy should arrive any day now! I also own a Permuted Press hand signed edition.
Without giving much away, I could say this book is twisted. Twisted potty humor, twisted events, twisted ending. It pokes fun at almost everything; and yet... 2 or 3 days after reading it, you'll wake in a cold sweat because the horror in the book gets inside you and takes a while to work it's way to the surface.
It blends horror and comedy so well, that you'll laugh out loud and then stop and worry about what might have heard you.

The guy who wrote the Phantasm movies and directed Bubba Ho-Tep loved it so much he bought the movie rights.

Read it and you will never see the world the same way again.
If you *have* read it. I have two creepy words for you "Shadow Men"
And 6 funny words "You found a box of ammo"

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I will get this one...

How about a counter recommendation - "shatnerquake"

Very much fun

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I read it when it first came out in hardback. The Ronald McDonald part still gets me. Hey makes for a great Anti-Mcdonalds campaign after reading that, you'll never want to eat there again.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
The sequel to this comes out in the fall. Right now there is an ARG going on. check out the website for more details. or go to Cracked.com and find the John Dies at the End forum. Also they are on facebook.

posted on Nov, 18 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Just got it, yeah I know I'm not one of the cool kids.
Have only just begun, but I can't wait and already love the code John uses when he calls Dave, reminds me in warm ways of ATS.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Did a search on the title.

Just saw the movie, and LOVED IT! Up there with my all time favorite movies.
Didn't know it was a novel.. definitely going to have to find that and read it.

new topics

top topics

join