It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Background noise on a quiet night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I was just outside and it was a perfect clear night when I realised there is a new sound in the air that I've never noticed before. It's kind of like a background sound it's constant and doesn't fade or get any louder. I was expecting the noice to change but it appears to be constant. It sounds like water rumbling or a far away engine. it kind of hums.

Now I know the sounds very well around here and I could make no sense of this one. It reminded me or got me thinking rather of what an engine of a large airborne vehicle would sound like if you were in the thing moving. Or like wind in your ears if you travel on a motorbike or open top car at constant speed. Sorry about the funny description but it's the closest I can come up with. It didn't seem to be moving away or come closer. Just constant.

Can anyone else hear this? What is it? I do not hear it indoors at all. Outdoor it's so loud you can nearly 'feel' it but indoors I feel nothing. Wouldn't know it was there if i hadn't just been outside.

Any takers?

Mods - didn't know where to post this so please feel free to move it

Thanks
IAMD1

Edit for spelling

[edit on 29/9/2009 by IAmD1]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
yes, you are not alone. many towns have a constant humm in the background.

most of them remain unexplained. it could be radiation, underground rivers. a large generator. or it could be someone expanding secret ungerground facilitys for the goverment.(they always building crap, for when nukes go off)

[edit on 29-9-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Well I'm in a suburb that could neaerly count as countryside. Large/deep forest surronds the valley which i live in. It is fairly close to town but far enough not to hear the noises that go on in the city.

This is something new in the air. Doesn't sound like it comes from underground. But you are problably right none the less. Actually it does sound a bit lite a dishwasher (silent humming type).

Thanks for that. I will keep an ear out to see if/when it stops.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmD1

it might also have something to do with the recent earthquake.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Haven't really heard anything at night or during the day. Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me and i think that i am hearing a slow hum or the earth turning but who knows.
Nothing out of the ordinary in London,On,Canada.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Yea - I was kind of wondering about the earthquake too. But I'm very very far away. I just had a thought. Could it be the L.H.C some how???

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmD1

sorry, but what is the LHC?

I live in the country, never heard anything like that in the country. But when I'm visiting the city I do hear a background hum. Always assumed it was the sound of lights, generators, stuff like that.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Do you live near any power stations or any other industrial installments?

I live in a valley aswell and we have a power station here (a few actually).. It makes the sound that you discribed at night, during the day you cant hear it because of all the other comotion going on.

Hope this helps.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Large hadron collider. On swiss border if I remember correct, as to what it has to do with this subject, is beyond me

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormseeker

I was just wondering if the LHC could make for that humming sound at all? Nothing else really. But yes you are problably right it must be a power station. Just wondering why I've never heard it before yesterday night. And I am usually very aware of sounds and such.

[edit on 30/9/2009 by IAmD1]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I was out again today and the noise i much louder. I can hear the distant noise of cars on am motorway in the background but this is something else entirely. Today there are two constand noises apart from the hum. It's almost as the sound of a flying helicopter but much louder and a higher pitched noise (not a beeping) more like a sirene but less schrilled. Also today I hear the noise indoors. Almost as annoying as hearing the dishwasher/hover/washingmachine through the walls. It's kind of giving me a headache.

Any takers? Just saying that if it was a power plant it would be the same as yesterday wouldn't it?

I know how to describe it sound like when you are on the inside of an airplane near the egines. A constant never ending humming.

[edit on 30/9/2009 by IAmD1]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmD1

Oh my gosh! I addressed my son to see if he heard the same noise and he heard it too. I ran outside to see if there was something there and there was nothing in the sky. It was very loud and rumbling - kind of like a space shuttle taking off. I've heard it a couple times in the evening but it happens mostly in the early morning around 5-6am eastern time. It's very constant like you said, and very loud. I confirmed it with my son - he heard it too but we do not have an explanation to it! Where are you located? We live in Sarasota FL.
A couple of times it got really really loud. And no it wasn't an earthquake. Florida doesn't have earthquakes. And there was absolutely nothing in the sky. Not even a derelect airplane. I have no explanation.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by switch182
reply to post by IAmD1

Oh my gosh! I addressed my son to see if he heard the same noise and he heard it too.

It's weird. It was louder last night. I could hear it from indoors adn ti was really loud. I'm wodering if this sound is what keeps me feeling like I've not slept at all even though I've had enough hours rest at night? It's like falling a sleep with the lights on, you just don't feel rested when you wake up. '

Today it's pouring down with rain so it isn't as noticeable. I'm in northern europe. I'm happy if there's a perfectly normal explanation to it but I for one can't think of anything that fits with where i live. We do live close to an army base and the otherday they where doing target practise as you can hear the echo of the gunshots through the forest. More unusual was the fact that we had two fighter planes fly past in formation the day before that in the afternoon. (That's very unusual - at least that they're flying low like that).

I just wish the noise would stop as it is really annoying me now.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmD1

You haven't posted to this thread in a while... I was doing a search for the HUM in different places. I think I entered THE HUM IN FLORIDA to search if any others like me are out there in Florida.
I started "sensing" the HUM back on September 23,2008. I still don't know what is causing it, but I do remember reading how that Hadron Collider had failed just 3 days prior to the start of the HUM for me. I was nauseous for the first 3 or 4 days. Anyways, you can read all about it on a couple of threads: "Why is the HUM getting stronger/ louder?" and "Shedding some light on the mysterious hum"

I hope you are OK. Don't focus on it so much. Get out of the house more. Occupy your mind with other things.

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by notknowing

I'm sorry I have not posted in here for a couple of years now. The noise faded into the background for me and eventually I stopped taking note and have since moved. However I still perceive the constand background noise if I stop and think about it. Much like any other background noise like static. I am just now reading another post on here about noises....this is becoming more and more intruiging to me as it is becoming apparent it's a world wide phenomenon and seems to be happening at night (earlyhours in the morning) everywhere. Is it coming from outerspace some how, and has direction? As in what ever direction your side of the sky would be in between 2and 5 am in the mornings. Since the earth rotates could that be why it is heard at similar times of night (local time) as supposed to in the morning here in europe and evening in US.

Anyhow just thoughts. And thank you for the good advice

top topics

join