It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sex abuse rife in other religions, says Vatican

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Sex abuse rife in other religions, says Vatican

www.guardian.co.uk

The Vatican has lashed out at criticism over its handling of its paedophilia crisis by saying the Catholic church was "busy cleaning its own house" and that the problems with clerical sex abuse in other churches were as big, if not bigger.

In a defiant and provocative statement, issued following a meeting of the UN human rights council in Geneva, the Holy See said the majority of Catholic clergy who committed such acts were not paedophiles but homosexuals attracted to sex with adolescent male
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Finalllyyyy they respond!

Wait.... this is their response?

"ya but they did it too"

really????

that's the response?

He also quoted statistics from the Christian Scientist Monitor newspaper to show that most US churches being hit by child sex abuse allegations were Protestant and that sexual abuse within Jewish communities was common.

hahahhaa
soo funnyyyy

Honestly I have been waiting for them to make a statement about this for so long, but for it to finally be this is extremely pathetic.

Is this a joke?

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Pfft. I would agree that there are probably people of every religion that take advantage of children. The same is true of non religious entities/people as well. That doesn't make it right to do what some of them did.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Already being discussed here

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
Pfft. I would agree that there are probably people of every religion that take advantage of children. The same is true of non religious entities/people as well. That doesn't make it right to do what some of them did.

The scary bit is that any other offender is held accountable to the law, but the pious monsters are protected.

What is sickening is that the needs of the RC church are put above the victims.

It never ceases to amaze me how anyone can profess to be a catholic when their leaders (who are the church) act in such a way.

No doubt all the perps have been forgiven and have been given desks jobs.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Well that maybe right statement from the Vatican ! Even the Jehovah's Witnesses are having a crises with child sexual abuse.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
everyone: "stop hiding and protecting child molesters"

the church: "you tell that to the jews!"

this is a weak attempt to distract people from the problems in the church. i hope people stop taking it serious soon. that way the kind of crap they get away with will not go on much longer.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Ohhhhh OK! There are child molesters in other religious institutions too! Well that changes everything, why didn't they just say that to begin with?!

Cancel all the lawsuits, I take back every bad thing I ever said about the Catholic church since apparently child molestation is passe in the religious community! All is forgiven, and please, promise to babysit my first born for me.

/sarcasm

Are these people out of their minds? Because children are being molested and raped elsewhere, we should move on from it's occurrence within the church? How about, instead of that, every institution or organization harbouring pedophiles be put under a microscope, dissected and criticized publicly and without remorse until each and every victim is accounted for and justice brought to them, period.

These people make me sick.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
It's somewhat ironic that any religions such as christianity, doesn't have the apparent ability through prayer and faith to stop this sort of thing in it's tracks or even ask god or the angels to tell them who should not be allowed in the church clergy.

The bible lessons on spirituality, possessions and temptations etc. claim these people can be prayed over and their demons cast out. In the end it would seem more likely that organized religion is more about the money and business.....as usual.

In all fairness though, I think they're right about this but the fact that it's been known that they moved these known abusers to just abuse in other locations was their biggest mistake as if enablers.

I have to wonder how many priests had even bothered to confess. How many are now currently in prison and how many have since died....one way or another.

It's also ironic that people who end up in prison often find their religious roots again. I'm sure it beats the other prison gangs type of worship.

I wonder if people in jails and prisons will be getting their H1N1 flu shots first or last.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
True words spoken by The Pot Calling the Kettle Black. They took along time to start putting their own house in order.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Actually, I think the Vatican is probably fairly correct; most of the "Abuse" was probably Pederasty, which is not actually Paedophilia as much as it is sexual union between a pubescent boy and an older man.

Paedophilia specifically refers to pre-pubescent attraction. Paedophilia is also not Child Rape; you can be attracted to blondes and masturbate to them but you aren't necessarily going to go out and start raping blondes willy nilly (As example).

From what I know of the Catholic religion, famously the Alter boys (Usually boys of a young pubescent age) tended to be the "Victims".

And I put "Victims" in quotes because I guarantee you as sure as spit that a portion of these "Victims" May have been willing participants in the acts.

Not all. Not a Majority, but some.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Sure clergy in other religions have abused children. Sure some may still do so. Sure some may do so in the future.

But to say that it is as big if not bigger then what happened with the Catholic church is disgusting.

What happened with the Catholic Church was systematic abuse and cover up.
Not only in the United States, but in Australia and other countries.

I think the only other denomination which has come anywhere near as bad as the Catholic Church on this issue, is the Anglican Church(and from what I know only in Australia).

The fact it was occurring so regularly, by so many Catholic priests, in orphanages, in church groups and so on, and that the higher ups in local churches all covered it up, shows something.

The higher ups from each archdiocese hold meetings.
Clearly the issue of child sex abuse was raised. Clearly it was decided the best course of action in their eyes was to cover it up and keep hush on it.

new topics

join