It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Switch to Digital TV - Upgrade or Profit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
This is an older topic, but I wanted to get it out. I'm not writing this to complain, or criticize, only to serve as yet another example of what this countries government is about. This subject differs only in topic, while it mirrors the US governments ongoing agenda. The agenda to profit at any cost to its citizenry, regardless the consequences.

I've seen, and heard, much debate on the recent analogue/digital TV conversion, but all of it seems to pertain to cost, or quality. Absent this discussion is the reason for doing it at all? From the major media sources to the guy on the street, nobody is explaining what motivates this major adjustment? After all, analogue TV works just fine! Doesn't it?

Analogue is more practical than digital in TV application. While an analogue signal may lose video quality from distance, many times it remains viewable without effecting audio. In contrast, a digital signal not only has a shorter range, but audio is the first to go from a degraded signal. Digital is either on, or it's off, so no more fuzzy hockey games with good sound from Canada! Who hasn't watched fuzzy TV? Another thing is the effect this switch has on people living in rural areas. The shorter distance range of a digital TV signal means many of these folks lost at least some of the channels they had before. Then there is the cost to do the switch.

So who really made out on this deal? It wasn't the people, analogue TV worked fine and even a portion of it remained free! Networks had to invest millions to convert. Non American high definition television sales have surely benefited from the switch. As did the sale of millions of converter boxes, surely made in China. I'm sure there are many new cable and dish subscribers due to this, so those companies benefited, as well. There was, however, one particular BIG winner in this, the US government, via the Federal Communications Commission [FCC]!

For some twisted reason the American government grants itself complete ownership rights to our airwaves. Along with ownership is the right to sell this commodity in whole, or in part. The recent switch from analogue to digital television broadcasting freed up all that bandwidth no longer being used. The significant value of this bandwidth was hardly mentioned or discussed? Nevertheless, bandwidth is highly sought after in our ever growing wireless world. Since the FCC is controlling this asset and it was just going to be sitting there they decided to sell it. On 3/18/2008, the FCC sold the 700MHz band at Auction 73 on ebay for $19,592,420,000. Not bad for an initial $2,000,000,000 investment!

Although the initial investment was made from taxpayer dollars, no taxpayer will reap any reward from the final outcome. Nor will he benefit from the manufacturing of the devices needed for it. His cable/dish bill will likely go higher because of it. Taxpayers living in rural areas may even lose their TV signals?

This was done for profit, just like everything else. The beneficiaries are the usual suspects, just like always. Digital TV was created to cost you, not help you, just as it always has done.

cr4.globalspec.com...
www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Mind control.

Brainwashing.

That's all you need to know about digital TV.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

how about a third option?
psychological manipulation (brainwashing)

Studies show that TV is addictive and makes you susceptible to subliminal messages. To me, a better quality picture would mean more success in subliminal manipulation.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Good post

Theres an interesting report here about the detrimental effects of digital television that was forwarded to Washington D.C. by a group of concerned German Doctors:

German Doctors Warn US about Digital Television:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

I see what you are saying, but in this case I don't see any sinister motivations behind the push for transition from analogue to digital TV. I think it is just the case of an outdated technology being replaced. If there is better technology commercially available and it is becoming more affordable for everyone, then why not?

These days, a lot of people choose not to even watch TV or own one. Remember that watching TV is a choice.

[edit on 29/9/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Zerbst

I was listening to an interview with a woman who had survived WWII Germany. She spoke about how Hitler (I know not him personally) gave them all radios right before he turned the radio station into a state controlled one.

My first thought was of course the digital TV switch.

She also spoke about how “they” took control of the kids basically telling them not to listen to their parents because they were outdated. It was a very interesting interview to say the least. I would love to have heard it go on longer and I would like to interview her myself. She seemed very educated on what we do not want to happen.

Raist

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I think everything government does has some sort of hidden agenda. We may never know what it is but I am sure its there. Anyway digital transition may go hand in hand with SSSS.
ppjg.wordpress.com...
www.raven1.net...

[edit on 9/29/2009 by concerned190]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
We spent more money upgrading tv systems than "investigating" 9 11. ..!?

I believe we will experience "poltergeist" phenomena by way of intense psycho-acoustic transmission soon nation/worldwide due to certain peculiar usage of devices that surround us and our homes.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I think it should have been optional and not forced on people I would be ok with Cable Tv beging digital because we pay for it anways. They cost did not go up after the transition; in fact it went down a little.
The local channels shoul have stayed analouge for those people who could not afford cable, a box, or a new TV.
The people is always the very last concern for the government. It is the same thing with the new Green incenative; it raised costs on us. Did the government care! NO!
I just bought 2 non hdtvs that were handheld 3 years a go. I spent $150 on both. This was before they told us about the conversion. These TVS should have been good for a long time. I keep TVs for 5-10 years.

top topics

join