It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A brewery has launched a low alcohol beer called Nanny State after being branded irresponsible.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Scottish brewer BrewDog, of Fraserburgh, was criticised for Tokyo* which has an alcohol content of 18.2%.

Campaigners welcomed the 1.1% alcohol Nanny State but said the name showed a lack of appreciation of the problem

The 3,000 limited edition bottles of Tokyo* contained six units of alcohol - twice the recommended daily limit.

The company had insisted the £9.99 high strength beer would help tackle the country's binge-drinking culture, because customers would drink it in smaller quantities.

The name of the beer proves that once again this company is failing to acknowledge the seriousness of the alcohol problem facing Scotland

Jack Law
Alcohol Focus Scotland
But Alcohol Focus Scotland had branded that argument "deluded".

BrewDog founder James Watt explained on his blog: "Anyone who knows BrewDog, knows beer, or anyone has more common sense than a common (or garden) gnome will know that the scathing and unrelenting criticism we faced was pretty unjustified.

"If logic serves the same people who witch-hunted and publicly slated us should now offer us heartfelt support and public congratulations.

"However I fear that this, unfortunately, is an arena devoid of logic and reason."
news.bbc.co.uk...

I thought I would share this with ats as the news of late has been well DOOM!

I think people have lost there since of humor than again that is just my opinion

[edit on 28-9-2009 by ashnomadonte]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ashnomadonte

That is awesome. Nanny State - what a perfect title. I guess everywhere in the world suffers from the attacks of people who think they know what is best for people.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by HotDogNoBun

Indeed I suppose no one is immune to the silliness of the word not even Beer. I like to think of beer as a person a friend if you will and well I don't like it when my friends get attacked. And I think the response by the brewery is appropriate.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ashnomadonte

Well that is a good way to look at beer - as a good friend. I have a great friend named Jack Daniels and I take it personal when people try to attack him.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
An 18.2% beer must taste like urine. When it comes to beer, anything above 9% is pretty awful. A lot of companies don't even call it beer at that point, it's called strong ale. As for the 1.1% beer, I can get more of a buzz from the chemicals in my tap water - for free.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

I think you’re missing the point of the article. The 1.1% is in direct response to the country saying your beer is to strong and it promotes irresponsible drinking. So they said OK you want to be two faced we will produce a beer that you sissy la la's can handle.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Reply to post by ashnomadonte

Now that's my kind of company!!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Ok wait a minute, where was this? SCOTTLAND? Are they sure they reported the story right? Are they sure that the company wasn't fined for having a beer with too low of an alcohol content?

What about Scottish whisky? Isn't that like 90 proof?

new topics

top topics

join