It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABOUT ATS: (comments on the new info threads)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
As mentioned, and in the u2u's we have been sending to eachother, your avatar is too large. Pleas find one under 75k or do not have on at all.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Who made this decision? Can I explain this to them, because this is quite ridiculous. I've heard of forums regulating upload and dimension sizes, but not remotely hosted files. The reason being is as I already explained. It doesn't take up your bandwidth if it's not on your server. It loads independently.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If you must

(I assure you, you will get the same reply...)

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damned
Who made this decision? Can I explain this to them, because this is quite ridiculous. I've heard of forums regulating upload and dimension sizes, but not remotely hosted files. The reason being is as I already explained. It doesn't take up your bandwidth if it's not on your server. It loads independently.

It also loads independently on OTHER MEMBERS' computers.
This has nothing to do with bandwidth, it's a courtesy to all ATS members and their load-times.
Do you have such little regard for others' surfing experience?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
This has nothing to do with bandwidth, it's a courtesy to all ATS members and their load-times.

I was just going to say that, you people are too fast and on the ball.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee

That's what you don't seem to understand. If it's on a remote server, it doesn't effect your page load time at all. It loads independently. If it hasn't loaded, and they don't care to let it finish loading (because they're on dial up, or whatever) they don't have to. They can navigate away at will. Your page won't load any differently. The avatar could be 10M and your page should still have the same load time. However, the avatar itself wouldn't appear for much longer, if it were that big. Go ahead, do some experiments.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

That's what you don't seem to understand. If it's on a remote server, it doesn't effect your page load time at all. It loads independently. If it hasn't loaded, and they don't care to let it finish loading (because they're on dial up, or whatever) they don't have to. They can navigate away at will. Your page won't load any differently. The avatar could be 10M and your page should still have the same load time. However, the avatar itself wouldn't appear for much longer, if it were that big. Go ahead, do some experiments.

Dude, you don't seem to get it.

If you have an image with a large file size, it takes longer for a member to download that image, and thus makes the page load slower.
If there is an entire page of avatars with large file sizes, then ATS pages would take forever to load.

Your avatar cannot be over 75k and that is final.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Ok, forget it. I can't explain the logic behind servers and remote hosts to you.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
If I have a slow connection, and you image is large, it takes me a long time to download it.

Understand?

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I'm glad the moerators took your big avatar! It slows down ATS now follow the rules and keep ATS fast, Happy, and good. You most likely won't win this argument.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Actually, if you want pages to load quicker, get rid of all those gay profile images. This board has way too many images.

[edit on 12-1-2005 by Damned]

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   

profile images.

You mean avatars?

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damned Ok, forget it. I can't explain the logic behind servers and remote hosts to you.
Perhaps I can explain the nature of the TCP/IP protocol and the effect of total page weight on the end user's browsing client to you? The issue, as has been attempted to explain, is one of general webpage useability. The restriction is in place for a reason. Trust that we have pondered the rationale for this reason, and not simply decided upon for the sole purpose of pestering a few members.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Actually, if you want to eliminate remote server lag, you should require that everyone upload their avatar to ATS. If a remote image happens to be on a slow or nonexistant server, it slows the load time alot more than my gif did.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Ok, Yes I am a fairly new member even though I been a lurker for many many years.
Now I have a complaint.
There is a quickly growing theme that has been outpouring the last few days of forum that are racially motivated. There are posts that are also racially motivated which I have tried to report using the U2 feature. No responses (at least to me on these reports)
Now, I have someone complaining to me about the use of the term NA (Native American) which it now seems to represent a racial bias against those whos parent may have been in the US for generations.
I don not know what is going on here but I hope that this cools down soon.
One other thing, I have stopped attempting to submit news, as The articles keep being denied to be fixed. I have asked on a number of ocassions to learn what I maybe missing but... oh well.
I guess until there is a let up on all this white supremecy crap maybe then i will be back and post.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I want to post an Avatar....but it won't let me. It says the upload feature is temorarily disable and it's been saying this for 2 months now?? Am I doing something wrong?? U2U me please!! Thanks!!

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zabilgy
I want to post an Avatar....but it won't let me. It says the upload feature is temorarily disable and it's been saying this for 2 months now?? Am I doing something wrong??

Read the following. It's a temporary solution until the upload feature is back online.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I don't actually have anything to contribute, I'm just testing to see if my signature works. And well, this is a thread about sigs so I figured this was the best place to do it hehe.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I am new here, and relatively new to computers. Is there any sort of "ats boot camp" to learn all the features.....ie. quotes, avatars, even down to cut&paste i need help. Im so green if it rained, i'd sprout leaves.THANKS

I am also having trouble inserting links(I can usually only send someone to the homepage vs to the specific article or picture

[edit on 15-4-2005 by Rren]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rren
Is there any sort of "ats boot camp" to learn all the features...

Feel free to post any/all your questions in Asala's Newbie Help Thread.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join