It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABOUT ATS: (comments on the new info threads)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlnilamOmega
Regarding the points system... and don't take this the wrong way, please. I Just want clarification.

I do appreciate the time taken to create that chart that illustrates how much certain posts are worth, as well as the replies, and so forth... and I am well aware of the compensation that mods can give for material they feel suits their judgement. However, something I am not aware of is how someone can earn vast amounts of points within a very short period of time. And by vast I mean 10's of thousands of points in weeks.

In situations like these I refuse to name names, and I am not going to do so. But I have definitely observed this kind of happenstance occuring between many different people:

Several members, who appear to have recently registered within the last 6 months or so have somehow accumulated 20 thousand points or more despite their total post count that is usually under 1,000. I'm not talking about scholars who have their reports recognized by mainstream media or things like that; I'm talking about regular members who post back and forth into regular threads.

Another trend I have noticed amongst these rapidly-accumulated points that have seemed to stop well into the 30-50 thousand range (again, this is about users that have been here for 6 months or less), is that they tend to be awarded to current or ex-military personnel. I could be wrong on labeling such a trend, but if I am not... please do explain, when possible. Thank you.

edit: im not whining or anything like that, nor am I talking about people who have retired their old names in favor of newer ones and have had the points transferred. I am really just trying to place an answer on this question that I have had

[edit on 7/1/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

I wish I knew how this works for them too, I like to post a lot yet I have under 3500 points. -Muzz-

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
In this forum: Website and Message Board Updates are several posts that provide a wealth of information on the features and attributes of ATS. Within the forum, is this post: ATS Points System that explains all.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
what are ats points for???is there a store or anything??

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
i suggest you see this link, it gives some information about points

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and yup, you can spend points, on member centre located under control panel, if you click in there, there is a ATS store.

if you have any other questions feel free to u2u me

rynaldo

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The ATS Points System is an absolutely brilliant idea!

For too often & too many forums I've been on have collected Trolls who have racked up absolutley huge amounts of posts, thereby giving the impression to "newbies" that these individuals have something of "quality" to offer in their posts when quite often they do not & are more inclined to "stir the pot" rather than contribute to the forum as a whole.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
After many months of pondering the thought of becoming a member, well I really got sick of the pop-ups. So here I'am. I don't care if I make points with anyone thats really not my crave. I'am nourished by the information
that each and everyone of you brings. Truth sometimes emgerges and sometimes it doesn't. Maybe I'll reply to someone post, or write my own.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
Did you complain when this happened?

I did...I too recently received a warning for quoting and I quote much smaller than most.....I voiced my disagreement and now will let it go....I think some Mods like me here...some don't...that's going to happen on a board of this size with everyone.....This is one of the best run boards I have ever come across on the net, so a few dig sinto me here and there isn't gonna ruffle me too much...

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I am new to ATS, and looking around I noticed the points. I asked myself ... what is this? Looked, and I am impressed. This site really fosters the idea of participation, and relevant participation at that.

Personally I do get tired of threads where you end up seeing the heated exchange of not so nice things between members, and the actual main topic is ignored. I am so glad that this site enforces policies to avoid these situations and rewards members for postive feedback and participation.

This is my first day at this site, and I KNOW I am going to love it already. I am so very thankful for the existence of ATS.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
How about changing the text "Don't copy and past . . ." to
"Don't copy and paste . . ."?

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Do you get any kind of notification when someone votes for you?

Do your votes from last month stay with you, or does the voting system reset everytime someone is elected WATS?

Zip

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Great system with the points guys, and - even better - I get to spend them. But on what? I can't find any definitive explanation of what the items actually are (e.g. what is a censor and how will turning it off help me?).

Please could someone enlighten me?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I got docked for asking a simple question of a uzr who has made the same assertion several times and has of yet not responded he may feel this is a zugzwang and it may be.
How about some level of restraint on MODS
context and intent should matter . I have been docked for to long responses and now for to short this post will more than likely get me banned.

Subject: Re: ONE LINE RESPONSE
sent: 11-11-2004 at 09:49 AM

: A member of the forum staff, dbates, has noticed your one-line or less post in the thread,
should America surrender to Islamic rule?‎.

We want to encourage meaningful responses to threads, and discourage simplistic posts. It can become discouraging for new members or guests to wade through too many short responses, just to get to content that continues the flow of thought. Please review this post, Warnings for one-line or short responses from our site owner, Simon Gray.

A token penalty of 20 points has been deducted from your account for this action. Please, in the future, make an attempt to provide more to the flow of conversation than a simple one-line or less comment.

Sorry for this slight slap-on-the-wrist. Hopefully you take this in the tone intended, as a reminder to make an effort to ensure our content is easy to read, access, and use by anyone who finds it.

Thank you.

For additional information from dbates, simply respond to this U2U.

My reponse to dbate

It is a question

This user has posted the same assertion several times now and has not responded to a question.
as to his belief in the assertion .
This is an importent point and needs to be address as a singular issue so it does not get lost in the noise.

We is wrong with you people is this a computer generated
foul
is nothing taken into context? historical or approipratness
does a simple quest need to be overly long and convoluted to get a straight answer from some how make a assertin /

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Now it becomes clearer it bias infavor of an opposing arguement masquerading as crowd control. Never mind.

dbates
sent: 11-11-2004 at 09:53 AM

: It is a question

This user has posted the same assertion several times now and has not responded to a question.
as to his belief in the assertion .
This is an importent point and needs to be address as a singular issue so it does not get lost in the noise.

We is wrong with you people is this a computer generated
foul
is nothing taken into context? historical or approipratness
does a simple quest need to be overly long and convoluted to get a straight answer from some how make a assertin /

from dbate

I'ts taken in context. Restating the question is fine, but to say "I'm typing slow so you can understand me" is uncalled for. We already have enough tension in the thread without little jabs like that.

reply forward save delete

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

This penalty was a personal response by a mod who doesn't much like me. No big deal; I realize that the mods have a busy job.

Been there myself, so has my husband....it's gonna happen. But on a whole here I think things are done very fair. I just tell myself that not every thread gets read by a mod, if they did....every person in almost every thread would be getting penalties for quoting...as I see some half a page long...this board is run better than any of the boards I have been on or moded...and that's saying something for such a huge site!

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
KAOSKTRL,

Why are you posting private u2u�s in the public forums? Bad form my friend.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
If you have a legitimate complaint about a warning you think was uncalled for use the complaint/comment form or contact a senior staff member (ie supermods, ideally one of dbates' team leaders). So it can be assessed properly.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trinityman
Great system with the points guys, and - even better - I get to spend them. But on what?

Go in to the membercenter (where your u2u center is, click on ) and click on the ATS Store button on the left hand side somewhere. You can buy some little fancy perks like changing up your mini-profile, increasing your upload/u2u space etc.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This board was where my concern over the issue seemed logical
The problem has been illucidated for me Thank you.
Feel free to atribute why I posted what I posted to what ever fault you choose to atribute it to.
Roolz iz good.
Dont drink starch its not Kool-Aid. Its for your underpants.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by KAOSKTRL
I got docked for asking a simple question of a uzr who has made the same assertion several times and has of yet not responded he may feel this is a zugzwang and it may be.
How about some level of restraint on MODS
context and intent should matter . I have been docked for to long responses and now for to short this post will more than likely get me banned.

No one said anything about banning you. Honestly I think you are making this into a bigger deal than it is. You have now succeeded in turning a small private matter into a group discussion. So now that you've posted the U2U you should probably tell the rest of the story just in case someone gets really bored and wants to know more. What did you get this HUGE 20 point deduction for? What exactly did you say?

[edit on 11-11-2004 by dbates]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Thanks I posted that already this issue is closed.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join