It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petition for the addition of "Friend" indicator in Recent Posts list.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I hate having to wade through so much crap to get to some goods. I most frequently use the "Recent Posts" list to find current threads.

What I am asking for, is an indicator that the thread starter is on your friends list. This could be any small little indicator, I don't care what it is specifically. But it would be nice to open the Recent Posts, and instantly be able to recognize any posts made by friends.

The fact of the matter is that if I have added you as a friend, its cause I appreciated your past content. So I will most likely appreciate your new content. But currently I find myself constantly viewing certain friends profiles just so I can keep up with their threads. So it would nice if they could just be indicated some how in the Recent Posts.

Anyone agree?

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

While I'm under to authority to say "yes" or "no", I can't imagine why you'd want to censor yourself like that.

I'm just curious how you'd feel about it if people didn't want to read your threads simply because you're not on their friends list? And why do you feel your threads are not "crap"? Not saying it is, just saying that most people don't think their threads are "crap".

I understand that you would be more likely to read your friends' threads, and that it won't necessary mean that you won't read other threads. But the concept reminds me of high school "cliques".

"I'm not going to read your thread, because you're not on my list."

You'll be limiting your own access to threads, and creating a situation where you might miss out on brilliant threads simply because the author was not on your list. Not to mention the brilliant replies following the "crap" opening posts...

But that's just my opinion. Perhaps I just have a case of "sour grapes" because I'm not on your list.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Edit: Grammar

[edit on 29-9-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

I wish I could star your post Gem.

However I must agree with op here it would be nice to have an indicator of posts that your friend’s ether started or commented in. I myself read the title and use that to decide if I am going to read it or not. but still it would be nice to see what my friend's have to say.

it's allways going to be sour grapes with you boy untill you get right with jesus

"©maynard james keenan"

[edit on 29-9-2009 by ashnomadonte]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

I understand what you are saying but consider the following ...

Everyone on your friends list was at one time not on it ...

... thus you identified them as someone who's input you respect through the simple, and yes sometimes tedious, process of being exposed to all the threads and posts without a personal filter.

Imagine how many more such potential opportunities for growth and expansion a measure such as the one you propose would deny. Not to mention it would slowly but surely divide the board into like minded cliques.

Again, I know it can be frustrating to wad through all the content ... but it's a small price to pay not to subconsciously discard all that is available to us. Plus like you said there is a mechanism through which what you are seeking can be achieved.

In my humble opinion, any more than that would be counterproductive in our quest for knowledge.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I think you guys seriously miss took my post.

All I ask for is a simple little symbol noting the thread makes status on my friends list. The entire "Recent Posts" section would appear identical to the way it is now, but friends threads would have some sort of symbol so they could be more easily recognized.

This in no way censors other people, and wouldn't stop anyone from opening a thread because the topic interests them - to even suggest that seems ludicrous.

When time is limited I wish to see quality content, and the first stop would be my friends threads. After that, time permitting, I would move on to the rest.

This would help very well written threads get proper exposure, and wouldn't hurt ATS's habit of starring and flagging the hell out of some completely pointless and irrelevant threads. So everyone wins.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I don't think that is a good idea for many reasons. The obvious one being that it may just create a back patting thread of no real value. At the end of the day you can always see who authored the thread in the recent posts list.

What I would like to see is a U2U indicating that someone has chosen us as a friend. We have that feature to tell us when someone has made us a foe. Seems weird to focus on the negative aspect more so than the positive. Sure I understand that foe is meant to mean 'worthy adversary' but in reality it isn't used that way as much as it is used to brand someone you simply do not like.

How about a friendship alert U2U SkepticOverlord?

IRM

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

We had a "SoandSo added you as a friend" at the very beginning, but it became a bit of a nuisance. When the Friend/Foe system was first implemented people added Friends and Foes left and right and "popular people" like SkepticOverlord's inbox was stuffed with U2Us.

That said, perhaps now that the "Ooo, a new button!" wave is over, perhaps it can be "reactivated"?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

We had a "SoandSo added you as a friend" at the very beginning, but it became a bit of a nuisance. When the Friend/Foe system was first implemented people added Friends and Foes left and right and "popular people" like SkepticOverlord's inbox was stuffed with U2Us.

That said, perhaps now that the "Ooo, a new button!" wave is over, perhaps it can be "reactivated"?

It would be fantastic if it could be! I known there are many members that would be appreciative of that. Sometimes we get U2U's asking us why we haven't added someone that has added us as a friend. Unless we check all the time, it is easy to overlook a member that has recently held out a hand of friendship. Especially when one has a large list

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Personally I think it is a hindering. On site like this friends are almost always just added because they agree. I think it is stupid. I like to read opposing points because you actually learn, I dont like a hundred yes-men saying 'oh you're right!' Maybe that is just because I am a psychologist I like that kind of thing

But I get what you mean that is why their name is green in a thread, you can instantly see 'one of your friends' under their name and if you just look for that mark, you know it is them

I think what you are wanting is that, except external not internal of thread

reply to post by ashnomadonte

How dare you use MJK's name in vain!!

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Ridhya]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

Okay, so i just could not stop laughing, could you just give me a ball park figure as to the amount of u2u's.

Although i love it when new things are introduced into any site, people simply loose it, or go absolutely postal....just love it...

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I think you would have to change the way the friend system works. You have the friends you picked then you have the friends that picked you.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
As much as I am fond of the idea.... a friend indicator would lead to the formation of "forum gangs" something against the ATS T&C if I remember correctly....

And given the coordination of know dis-info agents (Like the fox brothers) I would definitely not be in favor of the idea....

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

My word ,if Sdog gets Stars and flags it is because he is an interesting dude. Not because he has a forum gang.

I have not his level of popularity but the Mods know of me and others do...This does not mean I have a forum gang.....

Whaa.... I hate to say this... especially on a conspiracy web site.... But I think you may be a wee bit paranoid. No offense meant.

Still this friend indicator would provide an easy path to bias which would result into the formation of friendly groups who in turn might begin block posting their POV over the minority or individual when View points come into conflict...

Imagine the 911 threads under this friendly indicator thingee?

It would not be chaos....but people would suffer a vacuum of quality intellectual exchange in preference to the forum gang one liner mentality....

At least that is what I think would happen.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by titorite]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Sdog could start a thread titled "I bit the fingers off a little girl and ate them" and it go for 20 pages, get 50 flags and uncountable stars.

That is rather unfair and slightly insulting whaa ... which rather surprises me a little coming from you.

A quick glance at my thread history will reveal that that is simply not the case. For every "successful" thread I have authored there are at least ten that garner no interest. I would venture to guess that that average is on par with most active ATS members.

Like yourself and most ATS members I also take pride in coming up with well written and/or interesting threads and topics. To dismiss others' interest in those threads as part of a popularity dynamic is not only insulting to me but to those who choose to show their appreciation via the star and flag system. There is no forum gang or clique at work here ... I simply post my thoughts.

In any case, other than the unexpected slight at my efforts to contribute, the above has little to do with the stated purpose of the OP as I understand it. On that subject my thoughts are outlined on my previous post. I venture to guess that we agree that its not a good idea do indicate which threads are authored by one's "friends" on the RP page.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by whaaa

Sdog could start a thread titled "I bit the fingers off a little girl and ate them" and it go for 20 pages, get 50 flags and uncountable stars.

That is rather unfair and slightly insulting whaa ... which rather surprises me a little coming from you.

A quick glance at my thread history will reveal that that is simply not the case. For every "successful" thread I have authored there are at least ten that garner no interest. I would venture to guess that that average is on par with most active ATS members.

Like yourself and most ATS members I also take pride in coming up with well written and/or interesting threads and topics. To dismiss others' interest in those threads as part of a popularity dynamic is not only insulting to me but to those who choose to show their appreciation via the star and flag system. There is no forum gang or clique at work here ... I simply post my thoughts.

In any case, other than the unexpected slight at my efforts to contribute, the above has little to do with the stated purpose of the OP as I understand it. On that subject my thoughts are outlined on my previous post. I venture to guess that we agree that its not a good idea do indicate which threads are authored by one's "friends" on the RP page.

Im going to second your motion. This trend is evident in my threads as well, though I do attempt to do my best in writing informative threads, they are rarely always appreciated. I have had many multiple post threads completely die before page 2. I think any and every contributing member of this forum would relate the same issues.

Back on topic to the thread, it seems everyone is in typical ATS fashion, over blowing my original suggestion.

What needs to be clear, is that I will always seek out threads written by many notable members, for the simple fact that I enjoy LEARNING, from WELL WRITTEN, and INFORMATIVE threads.

Thus, adding a simple indicator does nothing but eases the pain for me of having to seek these people out. This in NO WAY would cause me to never look at other threads, and to suggest that is sensationalism at best. If I see an interesting thread, I will obviously read it. Friend or not. If I see a title in the top threads that interests me, ill read it, friend or not.

This was simply a suggestion so that I could more easily find the quality content that I have enjoyed in the past, and have come to expect from numerous, solid members of this site. Period.

Thanks for those who have delivered their opinions though, but this thread is dead

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Never, in almost 20 years online, have I seen a post that so perfectly reflected the user name attached to it.

Springer...

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I'm sorry Sdog. I can see how my post could be taken in a disparaging manner. Actually it was an ill conceived, lousy attempt at humor.

And as titorite said

My word ,if Sdog gets Stars and flags it is because he is an interesting dude. Not because he has a forum gang.

You are an interesting dude!!

Please accept my apology

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Excellent. Now we can go forward with our plans to leech his mojo and none will be the wiser Muh hahahaha... Oh wait... Disregard this posting!

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Seeing that this thread pretty much worked through the motions and not much is left to be said...

Thread closed.

Please feel free to use the ATS/BTS - What would you like to see in the future thread to give ideas.

Thanks.

top topics

join