It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Canada Threatened with Bombing by Al-Qaida

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I live in the GTA in Riverdale more specifically(Riverdale park has a spectacular view of Downtown...and the wind usually blows towards my house from that direction
) and if there is an attack it would probaby have a similar affect as 911 did on the US. I would not be affected as much as some of the Knee-Jerk Reactionaries writing for the National Post, but I would not let it influence my vote. BTW I'm not a Liberal anymore they have been in power waaay to long.
I really hope we don't start channeling our rage Dues on the local Muslim community because I have alot friends in the Islamic community and would hate it that they would start looking at me as the enemy because of a few racist jerks. But I fear you may be right. We might go insane with fear and anger and it could possible erupt into riots because we have a rather large Arab community.
Even if an attack happens it would probably not change my opionion on the matter and I'll always advocate a peacful solution above military action.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I think the Canadian people are a good and peaceful people that would not riot against their local population of moslems just like that did not happen here in the states. I do however believe you are not that different from us in that you would want to see the actual perpetrators punished for their deeds.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Thats the Majority of Canadians there is however a very small minority that seems hell bent on causing trouble. Toronto also has a very large Arab community and I just got off the phone with a Packistani friend of mine and he pretty much put it like this. "If we are provoked, we will retaliate." He went on to say that most will not retaliate violently but would stage peacful protest's but there is a small minorty that would go to these rallies and start trying to incite riots. Its quite common here in toronto for protests to turn into near riots. Although then it wasn't Moslems causing the problems but the Black Bloq an anarchist organization. We are very familiar with racial riots ever hear of the Cristie Pitts massacre(it was a long time ago tho)? Even though we have a good rep worldwide we have our ugly side which I am not proud of. Another point is our Police force would not be able to cope with an Islamic rally/riot whatever you may call it.

Also there were the Ontario Coalition against Poverty riots at Queens Park a couple of years ago when the Harris/Eaves regime were in power in Ontario. Not to mention the now defunct FLQ planting mailbox bombs and forcing our greatest PM ever to declare martial law for the first time in our history. Point is anything is possible and should be prepared for even though it may not seem likely at the time.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Given the current political climate produced by the Fallujah offensive, Spains capitulation in the face of an attack, the Abbu Gharib scandel and Nick Bergs murder. How likely is it that Canada is next on the list?, would she be viewed as strong or weak by Al-Qaida?, Ripe for attack or not?

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I don't know. 50/50 would be my guess. If it does happen well you guys know my opinion on what we should do. And I do agree that those that perpetrated should be brought to justice, but I also don't believe it should be our ONLY response. We should be building bridges with our Moslem brothers not tearing them apart.

Anyway I gotta eat now and I have said what I want to say. I really hope North America can pull itself out of this mess soon but I doubt it.

BTW Did Al-Queda say why they wanted to attack Canada because the logic escapes me.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

BTW Did Al-Queda say why they wanted to attack Canada because the logic escapes me.

I believe it comes back to this statement,
"He also said Canada was hated because of its military presence in Afghanistan and its treatment of the Khadr family, notably Abdul Karim, the teen who set off a public outcry when he returned to Toronto for medical treatment after he was wounded in a shootout in Pakistan that left his al-Qaeda father dead"

The above along with the normal reason of being an infidel country seems to be the reasoning.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
A) The IRA, KKK, FARC and various Aztlan guerrila groups are all terrorist groups, correct?

B) All three have free access to America, correct?

ira? free access? maybe but we dont support them.

kkk? obviously because racist americans are the only members but we dont support them and the fbi used dirty tactics to dismantle them for decades and it worked fairly well and they rarely do much today.

farc? what? we donate weapons, billions of dollars to the military in colombia, have special ops, mercerneries, and other forces in colombia helping them quell farc and farc kidnaps americans quite often, we patrol outside our borders to track farc drug smuggling aircraft, boats etc, farc is an enemy we have been helping fight for years.

you used bad examples

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Gotta agree with you there namehere but I did'nt want the others to disseminate and get off subject, catch more flys with honey than vinagar - know what I mean.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere

ira? free access? maybe but we dont support them.

Indirectly, you support them. Private citizens and corporatiosn donate funds. Arms are bought and smuggled over.

kkk? obviously because racist americans are the only members but we dont support them and the fbi used dirty tactics to dismantle them for decades and it worked fairly well and they rarely do much today.

as I recall, tehre have been at least two spereate incidents involving domestic terrorism in the last six months- a cyanide bomb found, as well as enough ammunition and explosives to level a town. Yeah, thems some fine not-support. How did things get THAT far?

farc? what? we donate weapons, billions of dollars to the military in colombia, have special ops, mercerneries, and other forces in colombia helping them quell farc and farc kidnaps americans quite often, we patrol outside our borders to track farc drug smuggling aircraft, boats etc, farc is an enemy we have been helping fight for years.

Mercenaries are not in the employ of the US military. And if all this stuff is working, then how does all that black tar heroin and blwo get in the country? And direct military invention in Columbian affairs ending after Pablo took one to the head.

you used bad examples

You used awful ones.

DE

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by DeusEx]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Yeah DeasEx I can go along with ya on the Boston mafia and Ira but I have to say that a personal friend of mine from Columbia that was pursecuted by FARC has a wholly different opinion than you do about U.S. complicity in its affairs. The allusion that the KKK has any power is false, now there are other supremisist groups that I would agree on, you had picked one that is less than a shell of its former self.

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
namehere that was a pefect comparision because the war on drugs is a war that cannot be won just as is the war on terrorism. The only option in these types on conflicts is stalemate not checkmate thats pretty much why I oppose this War on Terrorism (I don't support the way its currently being done ie Preemtive strike against a sovereign nation Iraq even though it was a brutal one).

"He also said Canada was hated because of its military presence in Afghanistan and its treatment of the Khadr family, notably Abdul Karim, the teen who set off a public outcry when he returned to Toronto for medical treatment after he was wounded in a shootout in Pakistan that left his al-Qaeda father dead"

The above along with the normal reason of being an infidel country seems to be the reasoning.

Thats some pretty messed up reasoning. I'm not surprized Canadians are wary even angry at the Khadr family for bringing there teenaged son to canada to get medical treatment, he was probly involved in the battle and not an innocent bystandard. Is he a terrorist? Probably since their families views are especially notorious around Canada for being Anti-West, Anti-American, Anti-whatever and they were very vocal about it but in canada thats their right even though it may be inflamatory. No evidance=No charges its called due process. I do believe that the teenage son should be deported and his citizenship revoked if it is proven that he has committed a crime. They are not being charged right now if I remember due to lack of evidance. Well Pheonix I'm all argued out for now, I hope your enjoyed our little debate but I feel like I'm talking to a stuborn brick wall on this issue so I'm gonna give it a rest. Good luck and in 10 years when this war on terror is still dragging with no end in sight(oh goodie another cold war) on will you admit defeat and try different strategies like umm maybe using the amount of money you guys are spending on the war and use it to ELIMINATE STARVATION, or AIDS. 113 Billion dollars would have been much better spent on those 2 issues and much more appreciated by the world. But I guess thats just wishfull thinking. Im out.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Sardion, the 113 billion could be spent and well spent to help people if only Al-Qaida would lay down their weapons, what are they fighting for, certainly not to the benefit of the average citizen of their countries?

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I just read a report on this, and found some of the information on the links between Al Qaeda and Saddam, as well as a link between terrorism and Russia.

Here is another link to the story on Al Qaeda saying "Canada deserves bombing." i guess Canada is not so safe huh Messedupannie........ BTW, i do hope it doesn't happen, I don't want such terrorist attack to wake up those that say we didn't go to Iraq to fight terrorism among other things.

www.borrull.org...

Here is a link where i post some of the information that links terrorism/Al Qaeda, Saddam, and Russia.

Scroll down to my last post in this link.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I can see terrorists hijacking a few airliners from canada and using them as weapons against US targets just across the border.....Then hearing the terrorists justifying it by saying the canadians are pawns of the US.

I dont see a big enough target IN Canada to get the bang for the buck that the terrorists are looking for.

But Canada as a staging ground, or resource base for terrorism is more likely.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
i guess Canada is not so safe huh Messedupannie....

Yes Muaddib ... this is what I've been telling you.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CazMedia
I can see terrorists hijacking a few airliners from canada and using them as weapons against US targets just across the border.....Then hearing the terrorists justifying it by saying the canadians are pawns of the US.

I dont see a big enough target IN Canada to get the bang for the buck that the terrorists are looking for.

But Canada as a staging ground, or resource base for terrorism is more likely.

Actually, what I have been reading is that they could do it via ocean ... hit Vancouver port. Tons of cruise ships and container vessels going through there all day and virtually no security. We even got rid of our harbour police for them, how kind of us.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Well messedupannie, read the information on my second link on the post before this one, and you will see the link between Saddam and Al Qaeda, the same link you said didn't exist.

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   
From a terrorist point of view, its easy to justify a terrorist act against Canada. Canada is a USA neighbor, and Canadian forces are present and active in Afghanistan.

But, still from a terrorist point of view, striking in Canada would be a HUGE strategic mistake.

- Canada's worldwide image is fairly clean. As someone mentionned before, Canada is perceived as a tolerant, neutral, peaceful nation. A terrorist act against Canada would create a much bigger international outcry than attacks in USA and Spain.

- The general public opinion in Canada is already leaning toward the "anti-military action" end of the spectrum. All a terrorist attack could achieve is to swing that toward a more pro-active, anti-terrorism public opinion. Not just in Canada, but worldwide.

- As someone stated before, Canada has pretty lax immigration laws, and offers a relatively safe gate in and out of the USA. A terrorist act in Canada would only make that access to the US (primary target) even more difficult.

- Canada's foreign policy in matters of international conflicts has always been to act within a U.N.'s workframe. Its predictable to think that in the probability of a terrorist attack against Canada, the U.N. (and another bunch of countries) would be dragged into the matter. It probably wouldn't be something as radical as a military intervention, but it could be something sensibly damageable to the terrorists activities.

Anyways, I only hope that's all just rumors. The terrorists are stuck in a Medieval view of the World. They still believe Westerners are Crusaders trying to run them over. Their goal is to polarize the World and drag it into a Western-vs-Islam World War. More terrorist acts in other Western countries would only speed up that clash of civilizations...

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Well, the point is that he said "Canada deserves bombing" not that they were going to bomb it, and I hope it doesn't happen.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
From Nikosmo:

- Canada's foreign policy in matters of international conflicts has always been to act within a U.N.'s workframe. Its predictable to think that in the probability of a terrorist attack against Canada, the U.N. (and another bunch of countries) would be dragged into the matter. It probably wouldn't be something as radical as a military intervention, but it could be something sensibly damageable to the terrorists activities.

I can just imagine how effective the U.N. would be, wagging their fingers and clucking their tongues at the terrorists. Just look how helpful they were to us after 9/11.

No, my friend, you can bet that he US would be there. Kofi & Crew would be sitting around "discussing" the matter ad naseum.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join