It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The relationship between hiding and Cowardice.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Today's message is brought to you by true survivalists. Often times the words survival and fear are confused.

There's an example of this in one of the best movies that was ever made. This movie is called Jeremiah Johnson. About a survivalists journey to be a man, whom fear has no dominion.

While taking the punches and stabs of his daily life, he always knew that he was deserving of freedom and sustenance, like every other creature in the mountains. He knew that he was born with the God given right to walk the earth and live his life according to a higher calling.

One day, he stumbles across a house in the dessert valley. He looks through the window of the wood cabin, and sees a man inside looking through a peep hole. The man held a Rifle that looked like it had been held for days.

As soon as Jermiah says hello, the frail man immediately turns around and fires a shot accidentally into the wall! The unshaven and dirty Man was shaking with fear and nearly lost his sense of grip on the Rifle because he was afraid of Jermiah.

The man (all small caps) proceeded to take Jermiah in to the back yard where he opens the door to a small, dark wooden shack.

To Jermiah's utter amazement, he sees a woman and 4 children huddled in the corner, holding each other and shaking in fear. They squint their eyes from the bright sunshine after days of hidden darkness.

Jermiah, first looks at them in horror. Then his horror, turned to disgust, as he turns to face the little man still carrying his little rifle.

"I do that when I know the Indians are comin...", the little man says.

The man then proceeds to tell Jermiah how much he admires the stories he's heard about him. Rumor has it that Jermiah is "dead already" "..or maybe he can never die."

As the man pitifully worships Jermiah's apperent Legend status, Jermiah quickly cuts him off.

He looks at the little man, the scared family still in the shack, with utter disgust and says,

"IT WON'T SAVE ANYTHING!"

"what?"

"Sending them out to hide in a corn crib"

What will it take, to get us to see the difference between a survivalist and a fearful coward?

Jermiah was a Man who lived ten lives in a land surrounded by natives who constantly tried to kill him. He, suffered a lot, but he never allowed the World to tell him he wasn't fit to walk the Earth and live life.

So for all the people who have tons of Rice and Ammo, shelved away in their basements, take a second look at what you are becoming.

Hiding to preserve a body infested with fear, doesn't create a harvest of salvation and strength.

We should not fool ourselves into thinking that we will spring into action when the dust settles. The dust is settled now, so where is all this action? Instead, people are still preparing to hide, waiting for the next season of dust to settle.

When are we going to wake up?

[edit on 28-9-2009 by juzchilln]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by juzchilln

I don't think you understand why people are stockpiling. Sure, there are some guys like the one in the story, but most are just trying to get through the initial wave of violence. They don't plan on hiding forever. Besides, the guy in the story is an idiot. If he really thinks the indians are coming, why not train the whole family to shoot. Last I check, 4 rifles are better than one.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exemplar

I don't think you understand why people are stockpiling. Sure, there are some guys like the one in the story, but most are just trying to get through the initial wave of violence. They don't plan on hiding forever. Besides, the guy in the story is an idiot. If he really thinks the indians are coming, why not train the whole family to shoot. Last I check, 4 rifles are better than one.

There's only three worlds you will emerge into, after you hide away in the closet.

The first is a World that is in complete anarchy. All of the hiding and depletion of your supplies was for nothing. You're problems are that much worse, and you lack the strength to live in this new world.

The second is a World that is completely Governed by the Iron fist of the New Government. Like so many 3rd world countries have learned, you're ability to communicate and organize will be next to impossible when dealing with the U.S. military. At the very least, it will be much more difficult than organizing NOW. Waiting for the dust to settle in this case is utter stupidity.

The third is a World is relatively peaceful. A world that was fought for and created by people who decided not to hide and wait until the "dust settled". In that world, you will turn to your wife and kids and say "Well kids, it goes to show you that leaving your fate in the hands of others can pay off!"

It sounds like most people think that the 3rd World is going to happen. That is truly sad. Not only because they leave their fate in the hands of "who ever wins", but because they had no intention at all, of doing ANYTHING about it.

I love hearing the "bunker folk" talk about "When the dust settles then we'll act." or "Wait until......blah blah blah..then We Will sneak in and take action' BLAH!

Sorry, that's a bunch of B.S. Why? How would WW2 have played out, if we waited for Hitler to finish his invasions before we jumped out of our holes? You got to be kidding me.

If you don't want to fight that's FINE, I understand. I'm a man with a wife and kids as well. But if we only believe in "Action Tomorrow" then action will never take place TODAY! That's what got us here in the first place. All of us Lazy Americans who will only get off our arses when the coast is clear and there's no risks. That is why WE are so easy to enslave! Lazy, scared, weak and worthless.

There was a poster that talked about the "low profile" strategy in military operations. Yes, it is good to sneak in under the cover of night to make your strike. But what the Heck does this have to do with sleeping in your caves while the enemy builds forts and trenches in your back yard. Kind of stupid don't you think?

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
There is also an aspect of life that says "ignore anarchy". For example - the Amish community here in SE PA. They are workers who have a limited view of the planet. They think locally - basically their town and extended family nearby. They don't care about Iran, N. Korea, US Government, NorthCOM, ICBMs and all that. They do the best they can to live a normal life within their community - sharing, caring and living. They watch us "English" bankers blow up the economy and building national and personal debt. They know they can sustain their community no matter what we "do" to each other.

Could they fight back against an angry mob with rifles? Probably not. But it will take a serious move to the negative for that to happen. I suspect that by thinking that "they'll get me" you put yourself in the game even before the game starts. Stockpiling is smart but it also says "I'm ready to play by your rules - I'll anticipate your anarchy by being prepared for some survival."

If the economy goes down, the world we live in will be quite tough for many (and already is - with many living in their cars, at partents houses and so on). But it'll take 50%+ unemployment before we have angry mobs with pitch forks hunting for survival goods.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

You took in too much territory.

I'm certainly not the family patriarch, but I have a number of people who will be flocking to me in the event of anarchy, SHTF, or whatever, solely due to my past.

I will have a pretty good clan together, from 8months to eighty. I will have a number of fighters, and a much larger number of non-fighters who will have to learn.

I set aside food for those times when we can't get food. I became accustomed to eating every two or three days, but I also know that you eventually need something - just to keep going.

You generalize too much.

It's been said that fear is a lack of faith, and that faith is a lack of fear.

While not a Godly man, I'm a God-fearing man, and seem to run a bit short on the full faith part.

So I prepare.

And unlike that dumbass in the movie, I can shoot. I also don't wait for my enemies to knock on my door. I hunt them.

I'm not sure what your final point was, because you were shooting all over the place.

Preparation is prudent.

Ants do it all the time.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by juzchilln

There was a poster that talked about the "low profile" strategy in military operations. Yes, it is good to sneak in under the cover of night to make your strike. But what the Heck does this have to do with sleeping in your caves while the enemy builds forts and trenches in your back yard. Kind of stupid don't you think?

I'm pretty sure I'm the poster you talked about.

I cannot remember ever sleeping in a cave but I've spent time in bunkers during mortar and rocket attacks.

I'm not hiding in a cave. I live in a home that I purchased with money from the job that I do.

I have that job because every day I go there and work. Some of what I do I learned in the real world and some in school. Much of what I do is travel and work in hazardous places on a hazardous job. I don't really like it but I do it because it pays the bills.

It also pays the taxes.

You say that a low profile strategy is stupid. What should I be doing?

Emulating you?

I actually spend a good deal of time fighting for my freedoms.
I've voted in every election I've been able to since I was old enough to vote. I exercise my rights so I don't lose them.

I donate my hard earned money to politicians and campaigns that I believe will help my community, state and country.

I go to meetings with local congressmen to let my opinions be heard.

I volunteer my time when I find things I think are worth doing.

I put forth effort in educating people where I can in being aware of what is going on in politics and economics.

I stand on two feet in the daytime every day living my life and trying to improve life for myself and those around me.

I don't ask for handouts. I don't claim to be special. I pay more in taxes than I have ever gotten back.

I contribute and obey the law. I stand up for my rights and those of my fellow citizens.

I don't hide in any cave, real or metaphorical.

The enemy is made up of those who would take from me what I work for in the name of politics, economics and "Fairness".

There are more who would take from society than those who would give so the end result is a forgone conclusion, but I don't hide from that fact.

I prepare.

What about you?

Have you any ACTUAL advice or activity to contribute? Is your entire song and dance about running everybody down and telling them how stupid they are?

Tell us all why you are so superior.
I haven't seen you in the headlines or heard about you shaking things up on the hill. All I know about you is that you spend a lot of time running others down and calling them stupid.

Where is your action? What is your contribution to this great fight?

Come on Hero, lead that charge.

[edit on 063030p://f41Monday by badgerprints]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Badgerprints,

Either you like to police member's attitudes on this board or you sincerely felt attacked by my thread. For the latter, I apologize.

Many of us, apparently not you, seem to come onto this board, talking about how we only have few precious days left. How we must grab as much food, guns and supplies as we can before it's too late. My advice for those people, is don't let fear drive you.

Why do I feel like I can give advice? The same reason why Doomsayers feel like they should advise everyone to put their lives on hold and take their families in the basement. Neither of us has ever witnessed the collapse of our own Country, therefore our advice is limited to our expectations.

If my message doesn't apply to you then I sincerely apologize. But if I remember correctly in my old age, I don't remember addressing this Thread to you. And since you felt it worth your while to post your knowledge of combat doctrine which was interesting, don't spew anger at me because I pointed out that it had nothing to do with my point.

I never said that I was superior, you said it. However, it seems that I have touched a nerve, that made you hell bent on trying to convince ME that you got it together. For some reason, you thought the fearless life you apparently live is something that I do not support. I apologize if that is how you take my message. But again, nobody forced you to participate in this discussion.

As for leading a fight, no where in my posts did I talk about leading ANY fight. I talked purely about Living freely and dying freely, and my advice to people who have been scared to death on this Board is DON'T let these Doomsayers make you feel like you have to scurry about and board up the windows.

I'm beginning to wander if I'm preaching to a group of perfect, battle hardened, military trained warriors. So let me say to all of those people, this message is not for you!

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

I did not take on too much territory, if you don't see the point in all of my examples than I apologize. Allow me to simply say this, since obviously you are not the person I'm talking about.

Everyday, I come on here, and there is someone talking about the sky falling. I read hundreds of posts from people who talk like their lives are about to end, and that the only way to get through this is to succumb to the worries and fears and race around the clock, loading up on Gold coins and supplies and that those who don't will surely perish.

I remember this kind of talk during the Cold War. There were thousands of men building backyard bomb shelters and stockpiling goods. Preparedness is fine, I'm only questioning the motivation.

This talk has been happening since the 40's so it tends to get a little old hearing it from the newer generations.

You quoted a saying "Fear is a lack of faith, and faith is a lack of fear" In my opinion, faith is not lack of fear, it's lack of despair and fullness of hope. It exists because it can lift despair and empower hope.

Fear just plainly doesn't exist at all.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Badgerprints, before you respond, allow me to say this to you.
If you have a problem with my text-based attitude, or if you have a problem with people talking in the manner that I do, send me a PM.

But for the purpose of this thread, do you have some disagreement about the intent of my O.P.? Do you think people SHOULD be motivated by fear when hoarding untold amounts of supplies and ammunition? And do you think that people should hide in their basements waiting for the dust to clear?

Let's keep on the issues, I don't need to hear your resume. Mine is quite extensive as well.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Well, I have been thinking about this long before you posted. I do believe life as we know it will not continue, so yes, I am preparing to a moderate degree and taking out a little extra cash for children who aren't able.

Now, I have wondered about the coward business. I don't own a gun and I am too small to think a knife would not be taken from me. Besides the thought of hurting someone would be really difficult to live with. But I would fight for my life and probably die anyway.

So what to do, prepare, and live my life and take what comes. When I feel a need to speak up or do something I will, but I am not sure I would do so foolishly and put my safety at risk.

If that makes me a coward, then I guess that is what I am. I am not really sure where you are coming from because it all sounds very macho to me.
And please excuse me if you are a woman because someone made the same mistake about me recently.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Fair enough, juz.

I think we can all agree that prudence in all things is a plus.

And you're right. It's one impending disaster after another being predicted.

It's just that I feel an ill wind blowing, and it seems to be growing. So much tension and unrest in the air.

Thus a bit of preparation on my end.

I have too many I'm responsible for to do different.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

Some of the reply's on this thread are ones I completely agree with, including yours and I don't know where I said that people should walk up to danger and fire off at the mouth. I don't know where I said that people should sling their rifles on their shoulders and go looking for oppressors to slay.

I too, have a family and wife to take care of, but should Io deprive them of fresh air, liberty and freedom to move around just because I'm afraid of what might happen to me if I'm "seen"?

You know, there's a fine line between preparedness and fear. Besides, the thought of a bunch of vigilantes and gun totting militia poking their barrels through port holes and "surviving", makes me cringe with concern.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

You know, there's a fine line between preparedness and fear. Besides, the thought of a bunch of vigilantes and gun totting militia poking their barrels through port holes and "surviving", makes me cringe with concern.

You are exactly right and I agree. Your tone...by words only... gave me that impression.

And I am scared and alone, but it does no one any good if we don't prepare as we can then continue to face the world. Getting killed over it serves no one in the end. Still, if we must, we can do what we can quietly, without drawing attention and survive to accomplish more.

new topics

top topics

join