It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Distracted Drivers / How Should They Be Punished?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I think people who use their phone while driving should lose their license. It's obvious that they don't understand the responsibility of driving a car, so they shouldn't be allowed to do so.

I also think that all new cars should be equipped with cell phone jammers that make it impossible to use the phone when the car is running.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
This situation is going to get worse before it gets better. Just like the crackdown on drunk drivers. I used to be an avid road cyclist before a close call with a distracted texting/ i pod using teen nearly ended it all for a close friend while riding his bike on a designated parkway. I now stick to the off road trails on my mountain bike.

Furthermore, I live in close proximity to our local High School and Middle School campus and I see this distracted behavior everyday. Kids texting while riding bikes and not paying attention to the distracted drivers. I see kids texting while walking across the streets without looking for oncoming traffic. It is nonstop and it is frightening to witness.

These distracted kids and adults are a predators dream come true.

As for punishment... It should be a stoppable primary offense. I am all for tickets and stiff fines followed by big dummy signs mounted to the roofs of their cars in classic pizza delivery style. Perhaps shaming people will have an affect on ones behavior. In Ohio, we issue distinctive yellow and red "Party Plates" to convicted drunk drivers.

Anyway, as is always the case, it will take a deadly accident on a large scale to change the laws across the country.

edit to add:
This whole concept gives new meaning to M.A.D.D. Mothers Against Distracted Drivers.

[edit on 29-9-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Just found this article and I thought it should be added to this thread

news.yahoo.com...

Administration takes aim at distracted driving

By KEN THOMAS, Associated Press Writer Ken Thomas, Associated Press Writer – Wed Sep 30, 6:42 pm ET
WASHINGTON – Driving while distracted is a growing peril in a nation reluctant to put down its cell phones and handheld devices even behind the wheel, the Obama administration declared on Wednesday. Officials said Congress and the public must team up to reduce the danger.

Opening a two-day meeting to find ways to reduce drivers' use of mobile devices, the Transportation Department reported that nearly 6,000 people were killed and a half-million were injured last year in vehicle crashes connected to driver distraction. That includes drivers talking on cell phones and texting.

"To put it plainly, distracted driving is a menace to society," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said. "Distracted driving is an epidemic and it seems to be getting worse every year."

The meeting gathered experts to examine the potentially deadly mix of driving with cell phones, mobile devices, and other distractions that divert attention from the road. LaHood said he would offer recommendations on Thursday that could lead to new restrictions on the use of the devices behind the wheel.

While the meeting focused on drivers using cell phones and mobile devices, participants noted that distractions could include reaching into the back seat, applying makeup or eating.

Click on LINK to read more.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thanks for adding that.

My daughter is about to get her license. We had a nice talk about distractions while driving. Remember it all starts at home and with what we teach our children.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Where do we draw the line?

Drunk/under the influence punishments are common sense to most of us.

Now, texting and cell phones are in the cross hairs.
If they are prosecuted, I say changing your CD, yelling at your kids, talking to a passenger in the back seat, cigarette smoking, drinking coffee or soda, grabbing your sunglasses from the glove box should also be against the law.

Distracted driving is distracted driving.
We need to take personal responsibility for driving.
Not make more laws.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Along with distracted drivers I would like to add those that merge at the last minute. These are the people that cut in, cut you off and then flip you off when you beep your horn to let them know they are scum.

For these people I would like a ban from the freeway for 6 months. If they are caught on the freeway during their "time out" they get their DL revoked. Caught after that then they go to jail.

Nothing drives me more nuts than a cell phone in the ear and jamming up a lane because you were to busy talking on the phone to merge behind me.

I was thinking about buying a POS car just to hit these people when they cross a solid white line...

[edit on 21-10-2009 by northof8]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I don't like using phones in general, especially in the car. If someone calls me while I'm driving I answer, but I'm quick to get them off of the phone for three reasons.

1. 90% of the time I don't want to talk to whomever is on the other end.

2. It's not safe.

3. Driving a manual in the city while trying to talk on a phone is almost impossible.

So the fact that people are so obsessed with keeping in touch with any and everyone they know is rather mystifying to me.

IMO texting while driving is the worst type of distraction while driving and should be dealt with in the harshest manner. The other distractions that don't involve reading and typing should lead to a traffic ticket at most.

Those who insist on texting, should be taken to jail for five hours each time. Two and half hours in lockup, and the other two and a half hours the offender should have to watch Seven Pounds. This should happen each and every time they get pulled over for the offense. After four infractions, his/her driver's license should be suspended for six months, and then only reinstated after the offender completes a driving course, and pays a $1000 fine.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
First off "Punishment" is a very bad social conditioning. There is and should not be any authority that can prevent them from doing what they want. IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A CRIME and rationals otherwise violate the constitution and open the door to the massive criminal activity of the police and city/state governments today. No private citizen must have a drivers license under real law. All the tickets and licensing are criminal actions of fraud, extortion and even kidnapping by city/state governments.

There are two and only two criminal courts in the US. This is because the founding fathers knew from experience the kinds of massive abuse that was occurring without valid accountable law in existence. The massive crime of the government is a direct result of not respecting true Criminal Law. The first and foremost crime is that of deceiving people in and into agreements. This is real crime and the basis of all ticketing and "statutory" (fictional) enforcement against ordinary living humans. Fictional law of statutes, regulations, policies, etc. is to address fictional entities like corporations, professional licenses, etc.. It does not and can not apply to a living human unless they are tricked by fraud into thinking it applies to them.

For any crime or civil suit, there MUST BE AN INJURED PARTY. The injured party MUST be a live human. It can NOT be a fiction such as a city/state. Even if the city/state claimed injury it would NOT be law but fictions in statutes. No city/state can claim injury even in fraud without forcing a change of venue because of conflict of interests. The state can not claim to be the injured party and try the case. They would have to move the case to federal court.

Stop lights, speed limits, etc. can not be lawfully enforced and shouldn't be. They are enforced by massive criminal activity. What should happen is they should be viewed as guidelines and when an accident occurs then violating the guideline should increase the civil penalty. But WITHOUT THE PROOF OF DELIBERATE intent IT IS NOT A CRIME. The promotion of this fake crime is simply because every city is a for profit corporation. It is really nothing but a mafia money making scam masquerading as "Justice", "Safety", etc. and the image is supported with some instances of real crime and criminal activity that is manufactured for that very purpose.

We are brainwashed into thinking we are being made safe by "Punishing" and that is far from the truth. By far, the greatest criminal activity in the United States by being perpetrated by the city/state governments. Basically the criminals have found a niche in setting themselves up as the virtuous and entitled. The average policy officer is really a poor victim of being moved from a liability (Peace Officer watching out for the community) to a being a profit center (Policy Enforcer siting at the speed trap). TV etc. promote the just punishment nonsense to sell the criminal governments.

A common sense question related to ticketing and the like. If the judge is paid by the city and the police officer is paid by the city and the police officer is the witness for the prosecution and both of them know there paycheck is, at the very least, supported by revenue generated from "Ticket sales", where is the objective justice residing?

Isn't it interesting that it is supposedly mandatory to have car insurance and tickets cause the insurance rates to go up and cities (www.cafr1.com...) invest in corporations and perhaps, as for profit corporation, cities are invested in (at least via bond sales). Again, where is the objective justice residing? This is exactly what the founding fathers wanted to prevent and what IS PREVENTED by the limits in place in the constitution. But is not known to the average citizen. The exposure of this fraud is going to become more and more known and citizen grand juries are going to turn this around or everyone is going to be just preyed upon as lavishly as the criminals care to.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Um. You know some people can multi task.

If any cop tries to ticket me for talking while driving, he'll get a finger.

I guess we should outlaw stick shifts because it's such a distraction while driving. Also, lets make all cars 1 seated because passengers are a distraction.

only idiots can't drive and multi task, lets punish everyone for those idiots

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Here's an idea:

(to be implemented when I rule the world)

To get a license, everyone must complete a course consisting of the following:

- low speed crash into a wall. That's first. Want your papers? Drive this Buick into that wall at 35-40 kph. Hurts, doesn't it? Don't forget that.

After that, move on to:

- High speed maneuvering and crash avoidance
- hand brake turns
- skid pad (drifting 101)
- slalom
- braking from 200kph on variable surfaces
- time trail (paved road)
- time trial (dirt)
- time trial (ice)

...essentially everything you need to be a competent rally driver.

Once everyone has to go through that to get their papers, get rid of all the highway speed limits, get rid of all the drunk driving laws, get rid of all the anti-texting legislation. You won't need them. People who are prone to things like driving too fast for conditions, or lapses in concentration, or driving while hammered either won't pass the test, or will be weeded out of the gene pool in short order.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join