It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Distracted Drivers / How Should They Be Punished?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

We’ve all seen distracted drivers – someone texting, applying makeup, or reading the newspaper. Many states are trying to address the danger of distracted drivers, and some have passed harsh legislation against texting or talking on cell phones while driving.

What do you think is an appropriate punishment for distracted drivers? Do you have any suggestions for keeping drivers’ eyes on the road?

We want to hear your solutions to this problem. Put yourself on video and share your thoughts or, if you’re feeling especially creative, put together a PSA that you think addresses these issues.

Source

Just a couple of weeks ago, a young girl ( 20 maybe ) almost took the front end of my car off, crossing the line while driving next to me, I pull up beside her and yes she's texting with both hands, steering her car with her knee.

The windows were down so I yelled at her ( very loudly) Heeeey, put that down and watch what you're doing. You'll be sorry if you injure or kill someone.

I scared the crap out of her, she turned white and just keep apologizing as I drove off.

So, texting and driving, as well as other distractions while driving, how should the drivers be punished?

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Loss of DL for minor offenses such as crossing a white line without putting anyone in danger.

Jail time for crossing a line and almost killing someone, such as your story.

Prison for causing a wreck.

Death for causing a death.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I think the whole concept of safe driving should be addressed. I have been in near accidents with people who weren't texting, talking, eating, or applying makeup.

As far as punishment as to the op question, I would say fines, but I would detest getting a ticket by a cop who is also being distracted by the gadgets in his/her car.

Maybe punish them to work in the county morgue or ER so the distracted driver can see what might end up happening if they get too distracted.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
.50 cal in the tailpipe should do it! My truck isnt properly equipped though...

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I continuously look for distracted drivers. Being aware of what they are doing is a life saver.
I am amazed at the numbers that read newspapers, magazines, or maps, or talking on the cell using both hands to gesture, or texting, while trying to control a 2000+ pounds of destruction between two white stripes.
I do my very best to get in front of them...and slam on the brakes. Watching their reactions in the rear view mirror is priceless! There are very few, make that VERY few justifications for a driver to rear-end another.
I realize that such action is in itself a foolish maneuver. However, I am mindful of the velocity and adjust my braking so that I am able to be accelerating before possible impact to minimize any damage to myself, should a collision occur. Notice, "damage to myself"...I don't give a dump about the other guy, as (s)he certainly doesn't me.
If their reaction is that of RAGE, I get their license number and report them...should they wish to make more of it, my .45 is on my side, literally...

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I think that taking matters into our own hands shouldn't be done. I was probably wrong for yelling at her, but who knows, maybe she "got it" and will pay attention to the road now ?

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It's pretty simple really:
Driving is a privelage, not a right. After 3 offenses, you lose your license for a year.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I believe they should be punished just like drunk drivers. They are JUST as dangerous. I have had many similar incidents due to people texting or on the phone!

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
er, I won't be the favorite for this answer. I don't have one itty bitty tiny problem with someone driving who has had alcohol, or is doing something stupid. Why? well We live in a society that is quickly forgetting any personal responsibility down to the point of wiping Our own butts................... I'm sure the toilet roll dispenser will soon have an automated computer alert, and possibly a speaker that states,"insufficient butt wiping occurring, please reinsert paper".

I say this because growing up in Texas it was legal to have not only an open container, but to take a sip of a Margarita while waiving at the Po-lice. The problems didn't start coming along until the erosion of Personal Responsibility really took hold like they are now.

In the Latin American World's such as: Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, etc. it is still legal to drive with an open container. Waive at the police, and even offer them a beer. It is all good. There aren't massive pile ups, or major wrecks between here, and the beach.

What they do practice still is personal responsibility. The laws should You cause a wreck for any reason whether texting, drinking, or just being a plain dumb arse are the same, and strict.

Also, it is common in these parts for citizen justice. Should You hurt someone it is not uncommon for that entire family to handle justice on their own. Not killing, but putting a beating to someone they'll never forget.

The police for that matter are kept inline via this same mechanism. Unlike the US where the society has lost personal responsibility, and lost any sense of community, down this way self responsibility, and community are strong. Should police harass someone here without a just cause I guarantee the poblado, or village will be beat them silly................. Of course afterwards they'll give him back his gun, and all is forgiven.

So, all in all the problems in the States I believe go beyond simple actions in a vehicle. They are due to a loss of Self Responsibility, and lost of community.

Just my two pesos.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Missouri just enacted a law making it illegal for anyone 21 and younger to text and drive. Really I was shocked and even my wife was like “what the heck?” Seriously if it is going to be illegal make it illegal for everyone in this case.

I get sick of seeing some stupid person texting or doing something else while I am on the road especially with my son in the car. I rather enjoy the car I have (sure it could use a nice little paint job for rock chips), since it took me quite some time to get the car I wanted.

I have less of a problem with those who speed (except in residential areas) so long as they are paying attention than those who are not paying attention or are under the influence of something. At least if they are paying attention they have a better chance of not hurting people and if they do charge them for it. Not paying attention is just downright stupid considering even the smallest vehicles on the road weigh enough to kill an adult let alone a child.

As for punishment if they kill someone a long time in jail sounds about right. Hurting someone jail and a fine plus paying all medical bills of the person/persons they hurt. If they cause a wreck paying a fine and all damages. If they are just not paying attention a fine sounds good enough. If they get three fines in a year and a half they lose their license for 2 years.

Raist

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
We just started issuing $200 fines this month if one uses a cell phone in a school zone. I'm not sure if we have a hands-free law in our state otherwise.

I was taking my son to school this morning and was stopped at a red light. A woman raced through the light perpendicular to me... while doing her eye make up in the rear view mirror... with school children walking everywhere.

:shk:

The irresponsibility makes me sick. I don't have any perfect answers how it should be handled but seeing that this morning horrified me.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Forgive me if this comes across as argumentative, it's meant to be a genuine observation. I haven't been on ATS very long, but I very quickly get the gist the populace around here is very against anything that may constitute a "nanny" or a "police" state... fair enough, I can relate to that... so, how is it that this thread addresses laws/consequences/punishments for distracted drivers? Have we all forgot about personal responsibility? C'mon guys, not everything can be or should be made illegal and turned into an issue for the Police to address (assuming they even had the time or inclination to do so)...

ETA: I believe there are laws of some sort in this state, though I'm not sure if they cover texting alone or talking w/out use of hands free devices too... I suppose putting the laws on the books (though not a deterrent) would give some recourse should an accident involving this sort occur.

[edit on 28-9-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

It's not about a "police state".

It's about public and personal safety.

Texting, using a cell phone, applying make up, reading, or whatever it is one is doing while driving is a distraction to the driver and shouldn't be done.

If it takes changing or adding laws to get it done, then so be it.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It's a very dangerous practice.

I think the DMV should make an hour long documentary talking with people who have been in accidents because of someone's texting or using a cell phone or other distraction. These could be people whose passenger (friend, mother?) was killed, or who lost a limb, or who killed a family with 3 young children in the other car.

They would talk about how they felt about texting while driving beforehand and after the accident. They would cry and talk about how it ruined their lives - just for the sake of getting that text out to someone they were going to see that evening anyway...

The punishment for those caught texting or otherwise distracted would be that they would be required to watch that film.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Eh, with that line of thought, we should have no laws at all. If we are going to hold people accountable for their actions - then it should be a free for all, right?

But really, if you think about it - we are holding people accountable to their actions, by having laws. They can choose to abide by a law or break it. If they break it, they are held accountable.

Everyone has a choice. Personal responsibility is about choice. The choice to abide by a law, the choice to break a law, the choice to put others in danger.

Some laws are ridiculous, yes. But some are put in place in order to protect innocent people from idiots. Those laws, I don't mind

[edit on September 28th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Fair enough, let's call it a "nanny" state then. I agree, it's very dangerous, but to list and make against the law every thing that distracts a driver and every poor decision a driver makes is impossible. What about drivers who are too tired? Studies have shown they are just as slow to respond as intoxicated drivers?

Not trying to derail the topic, just wondering how something like "distracted drivers" can ever be targeted and stopped, by a law on the books...

Originally posted by elevatedone

It's not about a "police state".

It's about public and personal safety.

Texting, using a cell phone, applying make up, reading, or whatever it is one is doing while driving is a distraction to the driver and shouldn't be done.

If it takes changing or adding laws to get it done, then so be it.

As for repercussions should someone cause an accident and be found guilty of breaking a texting/phone law: I suppose I would lean towards having someone perform community service in a hospital or morgue and than relate that experience to a community seminar or after school driving program.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure 'distraction' happens to most of us - upset after a bad day, seeing an elephant fly past - whatever! We are non of us perfect. But I count stuff like texting as rather more than a distraction. It is willfully and knowingly concentrating on an activity rather than driving. It is dangerous driving. A driving ban of a year should suffice - worse if there is an accident.

[edit on 28-9-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
There was an accident not far from where I live in July, we had to wait to give a statement to the police because we where almost involved and got stuck in the chaos.
The accident was caused by a guy about 30 years old, big posh car, nice suit, chatting on his phone, lots of people saw it.

One of the other drivers got out of his car after the guy who caused the crash started acting like he was all innocent, usual crap not my fault, anyhow the driver got out and started taking pictures of the guy, and told him he was going to post a warning online with his picture once he had been dealt with by the courts.
I have been checking and nothing yet, but when I heard what was happening, I remember feeling good about it, even after he gets what is coming to him, probably a smack on the wrist, his face with details of what he had done, and the way he was acting for everyone to see would probably hurt someone like him who probably does business with other people, it will hurt him more in the end, because who wants to do business with an arrogant idiot?

Maybe public warnings with pictures for all to see online would pull some of these people into line, it isnt only their lives they risk, I couldn't give a monkeys if they want to risk their own lives, it's the innocent people , Like the Mother driving home with her kids who I worry for, or the people walking along the pavement when he loses control.

A phone call is not worth it, pull over if your so desperate, better late than dead

[edit on 28/9/2009 by azzllin]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I will agree with greeneyedleo on the laws thing.

As for driving while being tiered if you are doing something that causes an officer to pull you over speeding, crossing the line running off the road, driving too slow even, or whatever else, you can be ticketed for whatever else and possibly given a C&I (careless and imprudent) for driving in that condition.

I see no reason there should not be stricter laws regarding driving as it is a privilege and not a right.

Maybe if there had been cars at the time our Constitution was written it might have been given right status but I believe even they would have been smart enough to call it privilege.

Raist

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I concede that the public was pretty perturbed when helmet laws were implemented [for the good of the public] and has been statistically shown to be effective... so I suppose it wasn't too much of a stretch to see that cell phone laws would be implemented at some point.

Ed: sp

[edit on 29-9-2009 by LadySkadi]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join