It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Vegemite's iSnack toast?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Vegemite spin-off iSnack 2.0 could become the subject of legal action - but not from the global computer giant with a famous penchant for the little 'i'.

The term iSnack 2.0 - chosen by Vegemite from 48,000 consumer suggestions for its new cream cheese variety - was trademarked in Australia eight years ago by toaster-maker Breville.

The household goods manufacturer trademarked the term for a "cooking apparatus including snack makers and sandwich toasters; parts and accessories in this class for cooking apparatus", according to online trademark register IP Australia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28/9/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
OK, this will really only be interesting information to Aussies but others might get something out of it.

Vegemite (Kraft Foods) recently held a competition to name their new Cheese/Vegemite spread. For some unknown reason they decided the winner was "iSnack 2.0". What the hell?

I am going to say this because I know that just about all Aussies are thinking this, and all Aussies are already calling it this:

Just call it CHEESYMITE for crying out loud.

Looks like they are going to have a trademark challenge to iSnack 2.0 anyways. Lets hope Breville win and this nonsense can be done away with!

www.brisbanetimes.com.au...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I like Vegemite and i live in the US.
Its just very hard to find Vegemite in the US.

So ship us some more.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Agreed.

Cheesymite is the go.

Does it go brown under the grill?

Are we so lazy now that we can't put some cheese on our vegemite?

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Hehe it's not often you hear of a foreigner who likes Vegemite
Most times they hear the name and run away screaming bloody murder.....

I am sure something can be arranged to send a few container loads your way.....

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
i dont think i could even bring myself to try it. I like to keep my v-mite old school thank you very much.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
We're happy little Isnack2.0 as fresh and brite can be
We all enjoy our Isnack2.0 for breakfast, lunch and tea.

Dosen't quite have the same ring to it

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
You would think that the amount of time taken to select the name they would have worked out the legalities.

As for the name cheesymite, i'm fairly certain that it is trademarked to someone else unfortunately.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I had thought of that but a quick Google search didn't show anything else trademarked under the name "Cheesymite" (except for a recipe using Vegemite and Cheese in breadsticks).

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
We have been calling it cheesymite since it came out. My teens rolled their eyes at iSnack2.0 and said they were going to keep calling it cheesymite. I will sending some to the in-laws in Canada, they gaged when they tried vegemite .

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

You gotta try it Zaz!

If you like vegemite with cheese, you will love it.

It's best on toast with butter, not marge

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Interesting, I do remember bakers delight sell cheesymite scrolls, I assumed they may have trademarked the name.

Either way, I love the stuff

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Yeah from what I could tell the Cheesymite Scrolls were just Vegemite and Cheese spread so I'm not sure that they could trademark that. Admittedly I am clueless as to how the trademark system works though.

Oh and I can't stand the smell of Vegemite, it makes me want to throw up. I have never consumed it because of this hehe - but it is an Aussie brand and I am a patriotic Aussie so I shall stick up for the "Cheesymite" name regardless!

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Sounds a bit like MacDonalds trying to curb the use of the 'Mc' on everything, they tried that with my local Chinese takeaway 'McChina' a few years ago but the takeaway had been there in Wimbledon London years before McDonalds, lets just say MaccyD's royally got they're buns handed to them on that day in court.
It's A WORD...... get over yourselves, language and writing is NO ONES DOMAIN.....

[edit on 28/9/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It seems I was not wrong in declaring a country-wide opposition to the new name:

www.smh.com.au...

Unhappy little Vegemites vent their fury over iSnack 2.0

IT MUST have seemed like a good idea at the time. But no sooner had Kraft trumpeted the name of its new Vegemite variant, iSnack 2.0, than it was met with almost universal condemnation by customers.

On Saturday, the internet bristled with indignation at the name chosen from 48,000 suggestions by Vegemite fans as part of a public relations campaign to name its new cheese-based spread.

But the internet-savvy generation that Kraft sought to court with the new name appears to be turning on it with a savagery not seen since

Coca-Cola changed its recipe in 1985 and rebranded it New Coke.

By last night the number of negative comments on Twitter, the microblogging site which has 700,000 Australian users and where consumers have collectively vented their spleen, numbered in the thousands. A website, Names That Are Better Than iSnack 2.0, has also sprung up.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
bakers delight have "cheesymite scrolls" so its possible thats why they didnt select that name.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by lamb chop

Chadwickus actually pointed that out - I did a Google search and I don't think it's a trademarked name to Bakers Delight because all they use is Vegemite and a cheese spread.

But I also pointed out I am clueless as to the legalities of trademarking in Australia.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Looks like they finally caved to universal indignation!! Thank god for that!

www.smh.com.au...

Kraft crumbles: iSnack2.0 scrapped

Kraft has bowed to public pressure and ditched the name iSnack2.0 for its new Vegemite-cream cheese blend.

“We have been overwhelmed by the passion for Vegemite and the new product. The new name has simply not resonated with Australians. Particularly the modern technical aspects associated with,’’ said Kraft spokesman Simon Talbot.

In a statement this afternoon, the company said it would once again throw open the challenge to Australians to come up with a new name.

But the company denied it had all been a publicity stunt.

"At no point in time has the new Vegemite name been about initiating a media publicity stunt," Mr Talbot, said. "We are proud custodians of Vegemite and have always been aware that it is the people's brand and a national icon."

Thousands of the jars with the new name will be distributed to supermarkets ready to go on sale, ensuring that the soon to be scrapped name will quickly become a collectors' item.

"Our Kraft Foods storeroom currently has thousands of jars of the iSnack2.0 named Vegemite. This product will be distributed around Australia, and will continue to be sold in supermarkets for months to come - until Australia decides upon a new name," Mr Talbot said.

“Australians and New Zealanders will shortly be invited to help us make a choice. Please bear with us for the next 48 hours as we finalise how Australians and New Zealanders can decide the new name through an independent popularity vote."

The number of negative comments posted on blogs and on social networking sites is now running into the thousands, prompting Kraft to step back from the new name, which was chosen from 48,000 as part of a competition to get Australians to name the new spread.

Almost 3 million of the promotional ‘‘Name Me’’ jars were sold during the naming competition, suggesting it had been popular.

But the new name has roused almost universal indignation

Now all we have to do is get everyone to vote on CHEESYMITE and we are set!!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
You guys sure are particular about your condiments.

Now I didn't hate vegemite by any means, but its certainly not something I'd want daily.

On the other hand, sweet chili with sour cream changed my life. Now you guys just need to start enjoying ketchup.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Tomato Sauce YES!!

Ketchup

Ketchup is nowhere near as popular over here as Tomato Sauce

top topics

<<   2 >>

join