It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many disorders do YOU have?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
It occured to me that pretty much every American is on a drug to control some sort of disorder. I never cared to look up the statistics, but so far everyone I have EVER known was at some point in time, on a medication for some psychological "disorder".

So here we go. I give you the list. You go over the list and find out how many "attributes" you have that are associated with a disorder.

I am sure you know where I am headed with this. So without further ado, here are a few sites that give generalized lists.

www.depression-guide.com...

www.mentalhealth.com...

wikipedia has my favorite list.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here is one of the shorter lists

* Adjustment Disorder Anxiety Disorders * Acute Stress Disorder * Panic Disorder * Agoraphobia Without History of Panic Disorder * Social Phobia * Specific Phobia (formerly Simple Phobia) * Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder * Posttraumatic Stress Disorder * Generalized Anxiety Disorder Childhood Disorders * Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder * Asperger's Disorder * Autistic Disorder * Conduct Disorder * Oppositional Defiant Disorder * Separation Anxiety Disorder * Tourette's Disorder Eating Disorders * Anorexia Nervosa * Bulimia Nervosa Mood Disorders * Major Depressive Disorder * Bipolar Disorder (Manic Depression) * Cyclothymic Disorder * Dysthymic Disorder Cognitive Disorders (Delirium, Dementia, Amnestic Disorders) * Delirium * Multi-Infarct Dementia * Dementia Associated With Alcoholism * Dementia of the Alzheimer Type * Dementia Personality Disorders * Paranoid Personality Disorder * Schizoid Personality Disorder * Schizotypal Personality Disorder * Antisocial Personality Disorder * Borderline Personality Disorder * Histrionic Personality Disorder * Narcissistic Personality Disorder * Avoidant Personality Disorder * Dependent Personality Disorder * Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder Schizophrenia & Other Psychotic Disorders * Schizophrenia * Delusional Disorder * Brief Psychotic Disorder * Schizophreniform Disorder * Schizoaffective Disorder * Shared Psychotic Disorder Substance-Related Disorders * Alcohol Dependence * Amphetamine Dependence * Cannabis Dependence * Cocaine Dependence * Hallucinogen Dependence * Inhalant Dependence * Nicotine Dependence * Opioid Dependence * Phencyclidine Dependence * Sedative Dependence

[edit on 28-9-2009 by Mr. Toodles]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I have a lot of them I am sure.

[edit on 28-9-2009 by DevilJin]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
zero, zilch, nada, which must mean I have something even more messed up that they just haven't given a name yet

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

Maybe you are not from earth? Cause, here we like to make sure our own kind is nice and sickly. The sicker they are the more profit for our caring Medical community...And they NEED that money to make sure we are comfortable while they kill us.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
according to a test i just took in another thread i've got a whole slew of them, however i think that test was for fun and total bs imo

aside from some quirks i believe i have no outstanding personality disorders that i can think of :p

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Everyone has these disorders to a certain extent, i think the self diagnosis culter on the internet is just gettin bigger (because now pritty much everyone in the US and UK has it now, and too much time on their hands) So more and more people claim to have one of these dissorders and ask for the medication, even thought it realy isnt needed, but the drug companies jump on these opputunities because they bring in alot of money.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

That is more or less the point of the thread. In the past 100 years, the dictionary of psychological disorders has gotten tremendous. How did people in the 30's deal with ADD? Most likely they didn't have a rich, arrogant family psychiatrist to give them prescriptions for Trazadone when they get upset about little Johnny cussing the teacher out.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Apart from being a sociopath, I am perfectly fine.

I self medicate with alcohol - which inflames my sense of personal worth.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon
Apart from being a sociopath, I am perfectly fine.

I self medicate with alcohol - which inflames my sense of personal worth.

Nothin wrong with that lol. That has been the universal fix for just about everything since alcohol was invented. Has continued to be a great solution thus far.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I have no dissorders...

However I am from the UK

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Are you mocking mental disorders?

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
My sister has a whole SLEW of them.She is seriously dillusional

I was only a few days old and she was four and a half whenever she sliced my head open with a razor blade.I've always been able to outrun,overthink,and stay one step ahead of her since I learned to walk...but I could never press charges against her,my own sister..

I just wish that she would take meds

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
The subjective nature of mental acuity and performance makes self-diagnosis pointless. Hence the folk paradox of "If you know you are insane, you're not insane". This is wrong, of course, but demonstrates the concept of inability to remove bias when self-analyzing. Moreover, the human thought process is overwhelmingly subconscious. Minor quirks you may overlook as part of your personality may be indicative of cognitive disorders. For example, many people with empathy disorders may find themselves ostracized or neglected in social situations and rationalize it as "I'm just not really good with people". On a more severe disorder, this could lead to varying levels of unintentional sadistic behavior as they are unaware of the damage they cause. In some cases, the observer can recognize and correlate the emotional expressions of others - but cannot generate reciprocal responses.

It may sound counter-intuitive, but there is different mental process between conceptualizing something and recognizing something - and different brain regions are involved.

Say you had an employee who was asked to take all of the square nuts from the toolbox and put them in one tray, and all the hexagonal nuts and put them in another. When you come back in twenty minutes, the nuts are in the trays but are all jumbled together. You point it out and he continues making the mistake upon later inspection. You ask him if he knows the difference between a square and a hexagon. He answers that squares have four sides, while hexagons have six. What conclusion would you draw? He obviously knows what a square is, so doesn't he pick them out? Most would assume insubordination and write him up, or fire him after repeated instances. For his part, the employee may not even recognize that he's making a mistake and will assume that you are going out of your way to harass him out of an apparent dislike. Such a disorder is called Spatial Agnosia.

As for me, well, I don't think I'm qualified to diagnose myself being that it's impossible to remove self-affirming bias from a process in which the self is observing the self.

I thought some here might enjoy this video. But perhaps it can also be used as a demonstration of point, and I'll just leave it at that.

[edit on 28-9-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

I would assume the video is a fake lol. Cause if anyone would honestly say anything like that on national TV, there would HAVE to be a massive uproar.

I am not saying for anyone to make a self diagnosis and seek medical help. I provide these lists to show just how extensive the lists are. They have gotten more extensive in the past few decades. The point is to show people that big Pharm wants us all to be sick. They don't want to to help us, they only want our money.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Supposedly I have had Anxiety disorder, SAD Which is Seasonal Afected Depression disorder, and a sleeping disorder, but I quit the job that caused all my stress, it was simply stress and it's completely gone from existence without being on medication for now like 9 yrs. I guess what I reall had was and still is stress disorder, in that I don't do well with stressful environments or situations on a daily basis. So I just avoid stress.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder when a patient in a military hospital.

Residual effects after treatment are obsessive compulsive disorders that manifests in too many ways to mention here. The main one is a ritualistic mindset; strict avoidance of loud and busy public areas, fear of sudden loud noises, never keeping my back to a door or window and that sort of thing.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Is there a limit? Is it sort of like pie?...you know, like LOTS of FLAVORS of pie? Cuz I really like pie.

I Imagine I could qualify for just about every 'disorder' ever conceived by those that would hook my nipples up to a car battery, or ask me to pop some three hundred dollar pill that I can't even pronounce.

Of course, to their credit, they would change the name to something that sound really nice and helpful. Something like 'Pie-etol.' Mmmm. I like pie.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

nope, no limit lol.

Ask my best friend. a few years ago she was given meds for depression. Which made her anxious. So she was given anxiety pills that made her stay up all the time, so she was given sleeping pills.

NO LIMIT!

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I've gone through psychotherapy for a mental disorder I have, but the only form of "treatment" for my mental disorder would turn me into a vegetable and as my psychotherapist (also a medical doctor) determined that I was perfectly functional and had conditioned myself well enough to cope with my disorder all on my own, that any form of treatment, especially pharmaceuticals, would be worse than the problem. He also discontinued psychotherapy after final diagnosis as he felt there was no advice or techniques he could give me that would serve me better than what I had already been doing since age 5.

That said, everyone has at any given point in time, numerous symptoms that could be attributed to any medical or psychological disorder. That doesn't necessarily mean that they have any of those disorders.

This is often pointed out with what is called Sophomoric Disorder, where 2nd year Medical or Psych students tend to self-diagnose themselves with each and every disorder that they study in class.

However, even if the oftentimes vague symptoms do point to a disorder, it is only meant to be treated when:

a.) the symptoms of that disorder are persistent (i.e., you are always depressed)
b.) the symptoms of that disorder have no external cause (i.e., if you are depressed because your cat died, it is not a symptom of a disorder, but a symptom of your cat dying)
c.) the symptoms cannot be alleviated through conditioning or change of lifestyle (i.e., obesity is a lifestyle choice and not a disorder if you can alleviate your obesity through diet)
d.) the symptoms of that disorder are disruptive to one's ability to function (i.e., if you are always depressed but still hold down a 9 to 5 job and have a family, then you don't need treatment).
e.) the symptoms of the treatment do not outweigh the symptoms of the disorder (i.e., if the treatment for your depression turns you into a dysfunctional person, then you don't need treatment).

Unfortunately the Pharmaceutical companies strongly urge/bribe Medical Doctors and Psychotherapists alike into prescribing their medicines. Not all of these Health Care Professionals fall for their marketing ploys. Medication is the last and final form of treatment for any disorder. A good Health Care Professional will exhaust all other forms of treatment long before resorting to medication, unless of course it is a matter of life and death.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

I lost at least a dozen IQ points watching that. I really really hope that was never on national television......

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join