It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fireballs in the woods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
so i heard a story from a relative about seeing a fireball fly through the woods breaking and crashing everything in its way and then when it finally stopped a huge dark creature took off running and so did they.. any similar reports or stories?

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
You wouldn't be talking about the Flatwoods Monster incident would you?

A rather classic case in ufology...

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I actually read a book about something like this. They said they saw a fireball crash in the woods and when they went to check it out they heard a hissing sound. This tall ten foot being emerged. here is a picture...

Thats it the flatwoods incident, dang jkrog beat me too it.

[edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

[edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

and the 10 foot being can draw! ha jk, i read that too, seems right, but i doubt its the same as he is talking about.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Well it is similar to what he was asking about though. I cant think of anything else it could be. Jkrog came up with the same thing so, i dont know.

PEACE!!!

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
A second hand story..no date,time,place,name of witness or even description.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
It's funny how people always claim to be close to crashing "UFOs" yet there is never any "crashing sound". You'd expect a large and very fast moving object to make some sound when it came down... like a large "thud" at the very least.

That is one of the reasons I think people are seeing meteors rather than UFOs. For any of you that hasn't seen me post it before, here is an explanation: DID I ACTUALLY SEE A FIREBALL LAND NEAR ME?

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I saw a fireball in some woods once. It was only a few inches across and no big monsters.

Bright orange, 20 feet away and it just dissappeared into thin air.

I don't think it was E.T. though.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Ive always thought of fireballs in the woods as types of "will-o-the-wisp" phenomenon, when ground Foliage gives off large quantities of stored Methane in the Autumn and Winter months.
This could be why many people mistake these lights for Supernatural entities or UFO's, why so many Monoliths in the UK can also be found near Woodland areas (especially in the North) even more so before deforestation occured.

There will always be the unusual encounters such as at Rendlesham Forest where actual Craft have been seen, but I think a vast majority of the time the lights can be explained through natural causes.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

Agreed and there will also be many more that can't be explained by natural causes...

PEACE!!!

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I read a little while back about incident somewhere in England of three teenagers walking home at night, they say a glowing thing in the woods which seemed to move in synchronce with them, when they would stop it would stop etc. Then finally the stopped and stared for too long I guess, because the glowing thing turned into a huge hairy monster and started coming towards them. Does that sound familiar? I wish I could find that story again.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

That could be it, But IMO it sounds alot like the flatwoods incident.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Here are several similar tales:

www.boudillion.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by weevolvedfrommonkies
so i heard a story from a relative about seeing a fireball fly through the woods breaking and crashing everything in its way and then when it finally stopped a huge dark creature took off running and so did they.. any similar reports or stories?

In 1998 I was driving home through the most desolate mountains in Colorado, enjoying the scenery, when I saw an orange fireball slowly descend into the woods about a mile from my point on the road. I pulled over to watch and it had disappeared silently. There was no smoke (as if from a fire) and no noise. I was driving with my window down. It was about the size of a dime held at arms length.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
thanks for everyones input ya just a story i heard from a relative when he was out in the woods and i couldnt find anything similar so thank you all
points in me a better direction now

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
the more i read the stories everyone posted it sounds similar to what they told me.. could of been same entity just different instance thank u all yet again

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Visiting ESB
In 1998 I was driving home through the most desolate mountains in Colorado, enjoying the scenery, when I saw an orange fireball slowly descend into the woods about a mile from my point on the road. I pulled over to watch and it had disappeared silently. There was no smoke (as if from a fire) and no noise. I was driving with my window down. It was about the size of a dime held at arms length.

Was this around mid November, or perhaps early-mid August by any chance?

There are meteor showers around those times, that are well known for producing fireballs.

Either way your account sounds just like a meteor, although of course, the fireball would not have been descending into the woods, but high up in the atmosphere and many miles away. It is not unusual for people to think a meteor/fireball is much closer than it actually is, and also to miscalculate which direction the meteor is actually traveling since our brains are actually terrible at gaging things like this.

Just because something appears to be traveling downwards, that is not necessarily the case!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
well when i heard the story they said it crashed in the woods near them..

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by weevolvedfrommonkies

That's usually what people say when there is a bright meteor/fireball seen by many people.

You'll often get people across the state saying "it seemed to crash just over the hill" or "over in the next field", etc... when it turns out that the actual object stopped being luminous many tens of miles up, but due to earth's curvature, the extreme brightness of some fireballs meaning they can be seen over 1000 miles away at the sorts of altitudes at which they are visible, and the propensity for the human brain to miscalculate when viewing such objects (our brains are wired for judging the distance and size of objects on the ground and in daylight, where we have visual cues to help us calculate distance), it's not uncommon for people to make this mistake!

See this thread for a more in depth explanation with diagrams

The question to ask, is did they actually see it striking the ground, or hear the sound of an impact/branches breaking... unless they did, it's difficult to take reports like this seriously. Something moving around in the woods at the same time could easily just be coincidental or perhaps an animal spooked by the fireball!

Incidentally, on rare occasions meteors can make some odd sounds, like "hissing", although this is usually heard at the same time as the meteor is seen in the sky. More info here.

So, unless there is something to actually indicate that something made it to the ground, there is every reason to suspect that they fell for the age old trap of "meteors can appear to be much closer/lower/bigger" than they actually are.... IMHO of course.

I'm not saying this is always the case, but with no other evidence to the contrary in in this, there is no reason to think it was anything else as far as I can see.

Without seeing some sort of physical evidence to substantiate the claims that something out of the ordinary happened, there is also the chance that it's just a "tall tale"... For whatever reason, people do make things up sometimes!

The above story might also be consistent with something like a flare falling into a wood. It could certainly explain the hissing sound, as well as something crashing through the trees.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.

Originally posted by Visiting ESB

Was this around mid November, or perhaps early-mid August by any chance?

There are meteor showers around those times, that are well known for producing fireballs.

Either way your account sounds just like a meteor, although of course, the fireball would not have been descending into the woods, but high up in the atmosphere and many miles away. It is not unusual for people to think a meteor/fireball is much closer than it actually is, and also to miscalculate which direction the meteor is actually traveling since our brains are actually terrible at gaging things like this.

Just because something appears to be traveling downwards, that is not necessarily the case!

No, I know what I saw, I know about the meteor showers around the times you mention and it was NOT a metor. When it descended, I could see the trees behind it. It was not far away, probably a mile or so. Again, the trees were behind it and came down slowly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join